problem with IE8

razz

Just wanted to relate what happened to me in order to perhaps benefit other members who may be having PC problems. Last night I downloaded an update from Microsoft, which turned out to be IE 8 (I had IE 7 pro, but I mostly use Firefox). After the update, you were told to reboot so I did. Now it took approx. 3 minutes for the icons on my desktop to appear (this had never happened before). I rebooted several times and each time the quick launch icons took approx 45 sec. to appear and the icons in my tray took about 2 minutes to appear. But my main problem was this: It was nearly impossible to do anything on my PC - e.g. open Firefox or open any other application for that matter - because it seemed that the action used 98-100% of the CPU (according to the Windows Task Manager) and therefore took forever to open. I then decided to uninstall IE8 (your previous IE version is automatically brought back again) and since then all is back to normal. Makes you wonder about some of these Microsoft updates.

I installed IE8 successfully without any problems or conflicts (Except Spybot - S&D's immunization). By the way, what OS r u using?

XP Home, Service Pack 3. I have 736 MB RAM.

Just wanted to relate what happened to me in order to perhaps benefit other members who may be having PC problems. Last night I downloaded an update from Microsoft, which turned out to be IE 8 (I had IE 7 pro, but I mostly use Firefox). After the update, you were told to reboot so I did. Now it took approx. 3 minutes for the icons on my desktop to appear (this had never happened before). I rebooted several times and each time the quick launch icons took approx 45 sec. to appear and the icons in my tray took about 2 minutes to appear. But my main problem was this: It was nearly impossible to do anything on my PC - e.g. open Firefox or open any other application for that matter - because it seemed that the action used 98-100% of the CPU (according to the Windows Task Manager) and therefore took forever to open. I then decided to uninstall IE8 (your previous IE version is automatically brought back again) and since then all is back to normal. Makes you wonder about some of these Microsoft updates.

Hey! That's the same problem I had! After installing IE 8, my system slowed down a lot, and when I removed it, everything was fine again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey! That's the same problem I had! After installing IE 8, my system slowed down a lot, and when I removed it, everything was fine again.

Same thing here. It was also on a XP Home SP3 system. After installing IE8, everything about using the computer was extremly slow...booting, starting apps, web browsing, everything. When I reverted back to IE7, everything was back to normal. Yet I still keep getting auto update notifications from Microsoft to upgrade to IE8. They have to be kidding themselves. I hate Microsoft.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Basic instructions (for those who don't already know), for how to block IE8 from being installed in case you accidentally let it through.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_block_internet..._installed.html

This is assuming you have Automatic Updates set to "On", which you should have, but also set to "Notify" before downloading and installing, which I would recommend.

EDIT: You pipped me A. Didn't see your post.

If you download the Microsoft IE8 Blocker Toolkit it will stop Automatic Updates from offering IE8, since I've applied it I've had no offering of it not even on the Microsoft Update website.

Thanks for the tip regarding this IE8 Blocker Toolkit. I just installed it. Looking forward to no longer having the annoying notice re IE8.

On a side note: as you know I had major problems after installing IE8, but on my wife's PC IE8 has caused no problems at all. Weird how similar PCs can react so different. :blink:

• Moderators
I down loaded as your suggested. Do I now have to do anything else to keep IE8 from downloading?

After you've applied the blocker following the included instructions you're finished and there's nothing else to do.

• Moderators
On a side note: as you know I had major problems after installing IE8, but on my wife's PC IE8 has caused no problems at all. Weird how similar PCs can react so different. :blink:

IE8 made my computer go into a complete crawl, everything was loading very slow. It's indeed very strange how it has slowed down many computers, while others seemingly have no issues with it.

After you've applied the blocker following the included instructions you're finished and there's nothing else to do.

I downloaded the blocker but still keep getting the IE8 download update.

Apparently I'm missing one of those server packs. How can I tell which one I need?

I'm using XP.

• 1 month later...

i had a similiar situation. I logged in as usual, and found my Icons all over the place, and clearly, there were other things that were "off". I was really shocked, and had no idea what was going on, or what to do. I dont know why, but i went into internet options, and there where you have your "homepage" , (mine being Yahoo)I find the homepage was changed to something called "tatootaddle" . I'm petrified at this point, goodness, whats going on??? . the only thing i knew to do was go to system restore, and i went back a day, and all was fine. In the meantime, i checked for viruses etc, and found nothing. When we have bad weather here, i always sign off, and in some cases unplug. and if i unplug, i am sure the pc is all the way off. and then some. but i honestly cant remember if i had to do this. i only know i was horrified, and i'm glad things are back to normal. I consider myself a total newbie even after 6-7 yrs with a pc. boohoo on me. does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?? dont get too technical please :)B)

• Moderators

Hi wanda.

Usually, if your homepage has been changed without you doing it, it means some form of malware on your computer, although it doesn't mean it's a problem that can't be fixed.

I have no idea what tatootaddle is as google brings up nothing at all about it.

Although System Restore seemed to fix things, you could have whatever caused the problem still lying there somewhere in your PC.

To be sure, I would suggest following the advice at this link, which is our Spyware section of the forum. If you have problems with any of it post back.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120