Can you undisable removal of most recent System restore point?

aslaksen

In the latest version you have disabled removal of most recent System restore point. I liked that feature for doing thorough cleaning. Can you at least control it with a setting, so that I can decide what I want to do myself?

Thanks!

• Moderators

What's the point? Why not disable system restore? I don't think that Windows will allow the most recent restore point to be removed, unless you disable sys restore entirely.

Thinking of deleting restore points, I read that the points are chained so that for any given point to restore successfully all subsequent points must be intact, which is why Windows doesn't provide a selective removal tool. Now I don't know why anyone would want to remove a restore point from the middle of the list, but if CC allows this then people will do it. Maybe CC's restore point removal should chop the selected restore point and all previous restore points.

What's the point? Why not disable system restore? I don't think that Windows will allow the most recent restore point to be removed, unless you disable sys restore entirely.

Thinking of deleting restore points, I read that the points are chained so that for any given point to restore successfully all subsequent points must be intact, which is why Windows doesn't provide a selective removal tool. Now I don't know why anyone would want to remove a restore point from the middle of the list, but if CC allows this then people will do it. Maybe CC's restore point removal should chop the selected restore point and all previous restore points.

But Windows does let you delete all but must recent restore points.

But Windows does let you delete all but must recent restore points.

Yes, which is what CC lets you do now. But in the past it let you remove all of the old points. I don't want to disable system restore. I just want to be able to sometimes remove all the old points (including the last one), when I'm confident that things are OK and I just want to do a thorough defrag or free up disk space or whatever.

• Moderators
I don't think that Windows will allow the most recent restore point to be removed, unless you disable sys restore entirely.

Replace 'I don't think' with 'I'm just about positively sure'.

Whether the previous version of CC actually did this I'm not foolish enough to try. In any event by the time you've made certain you want to remove the capability of ever doing a system restore Windows comes along and creates another daily checkpoint. To have a facility to do daily checkpoints and then remove them daily seems er, pointless.