Defraggler extremely slow

pwillener

This is the first time to use Defraggler - I usually use Diskeeper on a daily basis.

I tried Defraggler because I want to use it to move some files (pagefile.sys) to the end of the C: partition. However, it takes extremely long! The C: drive is 1% fragmented, but after 4 hours the defrag process is only 4% - see attached image.

Is it normal that Defraggler is that slow?

[Defraggler 1.10.143 on Windows XP-SP3]

P.S. just checked Task Manager; so far it has done 375,000,000 I/O, running at near 100% CPU usage.

Now, 20 hours later, 13% is defragged.

2,600,000,000 I/O have been performed, and the thing still runs using near 100% CPU.

If it continues on this rate, it will take 11 days to complete... :blink:

And after 50 hours - defrag complete.

Still 5 fragmented files, 30 fragments, and a total of 6.4 billion I/O.

And... the pagefile has not been moved! Here my options

How do I actually get certain files moved to the end of the partition? (Tried to look up help & docs at http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler, but all I get is "Could not contact back-end site".)

Thank you, 'romanoff', for your PM. I will run Defraggler in debug mode next time, and send you the logs.

(Just to show other forum members that Piriform has contacted me about my observations.)

Thank you, 'romanoff', for your PM. I will run Defraggler in debug mode next time, and send you the logs.

(Just to show other forum members that Piriform has contacted me about my observations.)

I have had the exact same problem. 250 Gb SATA drive, XP SP3, Defraggler 1.10.143. After >20 hours, only defragged 15% of the drive! Previously (say, last week), it worked perfectly. Not sure what has changed.

I'd be happy to follow the previous post and run in debug mode, but isn't the debug log generated only if Defraggler finishes? If so, then not likely, since I'm not going to wait the days and days it might take to finish.

And after 50 hours - defrag complete.

Still 5 fragmented files, 30 fragments, and a total of 6.4 billion I/O.

And... the pagefile has not been moved! Here my options

How do I actually get certain files moved to the end of the partition? (Tried to look up help & docs at http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler, but all I get is "Could not contact back-end site".)

Well Pwillener, I suggest you dump your entire computer and buy another one. Not "made in Russia" is it ? Perhaps a valve set ?

Defraggler is the most invaluable program I have ever found on the net. It is super efficient, lightening fast in completing a defrag and absolutely trouble free. I simply cannot imagine how a company like Piriform can offer such a miraculous program as a freebie.

It is so versatile in defragging selected files or free space or the entire computer.

One guy on a Computer Forum said in answer to my Defraggler tributes - "I see no point in messing about with these kind of programs when Windows Defrag works just as well or even better".

This is the most crap statement I have ever seen. WINDOWS DEFRAGGER !!! This Sloth-like system takes 5 hours or more to complete. If you are over 30 years old, then forget Wndows Defragging - you just ain`t got enough life left.

My verdict is, if you are getting older waiting for Defraggler to finish, then the fault is at your end NOT Piriform`s.

Buy another set, life just may be easier for you, but don`t blame Defraggler for being slow.

Gosh man, the defrag is over in SECONDS !

Of course the members of this Forum may tell you where you are going wrong - that is what Forums are for - but going wrong you are. I have had superb response and service from Defraggler for years with NO trouble.

Seconds to defrag every time, whenever you wish to do it..

KAS

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will  either find a way or make one"

Well Pwillener, I suggest you dump your entire computer and buy another one. Not "made in Russia" is it ? Perhaps a valve set ?

Defraggler is the most invaluable program I have ever found on the net. It is super efficient, lightening fast in completing a defrag and absolutely trouble free. I simply cannot imagine how a company like Piriform can offer such a miraculous program as a freebie.

It is so versatile in defragging selected files or free space or the entire computer.

One guy on a Computer Forum said in answer to my Defraggler tributes - "I see no point in messing about with these kind of programs when Windows Defrag works just as well or even better".

This is the most crap statement I have ever seen. WINDOWS DEFRAGGER !!! This Sloth-like system takes 5 hours or more to complete. If you are over 30 years old, then forget Wndows Defragging - you just ain't got enough life left.

My verdict is, if you are getting older waiting for Defraggler to finish, then the fault is at your end NOT Piriform`s.

Buy another set, life just may be easier for you, but don`t blame Defraggler for being slow.

Of course the members of this Forum may tell you where you are going wrong - that is what Forums are for - but going wrong you are. I have had superb response and service from Defraggler for years with NO trouble.

KAS

Dude, chill out. It's been noted that not every configuration works perfectly. I do wonder what pwillener's hardware specs are, but there is no need to go off on him. He came here asking for help, and in no way was he bashing Piriform. He was merely asking for assistance. However, the last time Windows built in defrag program took that long was on my parents Pentium Pro Gateway 2000 based system. I'm not promoting it, and I love Defraggler, but I've never had that much of a problem with Windows' built in implementation. I too have never had trouble with it, but you don't have to go off on him. If he didn't want help, he wouldn't have come looking for it. It seems that he wants to use the program, so your comments were totally uncalled for.

pwillener, I am curious to see what your hardware specs are. I wonder if it has something to do with your crazy amount of partitions.

AJ

Yes, it is an older computer, which serves me well in most respects. Specs:

Operating System

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

System Model

Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX260

Processor

2.25 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Memory

1022 Megabytes Installed Memory

The HD on which the C: drive resides is an IDE\ST3200822A (200GB).

The "crazy" partitioning layout resides on 3 HD drives, and is due to historical/legacy reasons, as well as current needs. I cannot imagine that having a few more partitions than normal would influence program behavior.

But I will start a debug defrag this evening, so hopefully Piriform will find out what's taking so long...

I ran Defraggler (in debug4 mode) today, starting with 2% fragmentation. It finished within 3 hours.

3 hours still seems long to me, but it is not the original problem (50 hours).

I wonder if it is something to do with running Defraggler for the first time? Since the Diskeeper and Defraggler methods are so very different, maybe - even though it is showing only 1% fragmentation, it has a lot to do for the initial defragmentation?

I may also need to mention that I use the "Quick Defragmentation" method wit Diskeeper - which does not defragment free space.

I've just starting using defraggler, and I'm having similar issues, my machine has been left on for days, without the defrag completing. I'm running WIndows Vista.

What I am seeing is more and more fragmented blocks appearing. It turns out these blocks refer to files within "C:\System Volume Information", which are used for system restore points. I've now disabled system restores, and my fragmented files have gone, and it seems to be defragging my drive without any problems now. It still has to complete (only been running 30 mins so far), but I'll report back when (or if) it finishes.

My guess is that Windows system restore doesn't play well with the file re-organising that defraggler does.

Mark

I've just starting using defraggler, and I'm having similar issues, my machine has been left on for days, without the defrag completing. I'm running WIndows Vista.

What I am seeing is more and more fragmented blocks appearing. It turns out these blocks refer to files within "C:\System Volume Information", which are used for system restore points. I've now disabled system restores, and my fragmented files have gone, and it seems to be defragging my drive without any problems now. It still has to complete (only been running 30 mins so far), but I'll report back when (or if) it finishes.

My guess is that Windows system restore doesn't play well with the file re-organising that defraggler does.

Mark

I agree, Mark. I deleted all my restore points and reran defraggler. It now seems to be moving along at a steady rate.

This is the first time to use Defraggler - I usually use Diskeeper on a daily basis.

I tried Defraggler because I want to use it to move some files (pagefile.sys) to the end of the C: partition. However, it takes extremely long! The C: drive is 1% fragmented, but after 4 hours the defrag process is only 4% - see attached image.

Is it normal that Defraggler is that slow?

[Defraggler 1.10.143 on Windows XP-SP3]

P.S. just checked Task Manager; so far it has done 375,000,000 I/O, running at near 100% CPU usage.

Hi

I ran Defraggle and left it running all day (9am-9pm) I stopped it as it was not half way through!

Looking here it seems know one has come up with a solution, this is very disapointing! Is my only choice to delete it?

i have also a similar system and defraggler runs pretty good..

you even have more memory ram,since like 3 months i took advices about pc performance from black viper site.

they recommend to disable system restore..i guess you may have viruses or spyware,you may need to run also

ccleaner or regcure,,and then a program like privacy eraser pro,to clean all junk from pc.

then reinstall defraggler...it works very well.

WoW KAS you are off the hook! I almost hope you have to come back here for help or some where else and get a response like what you posted here!! YOU DON'T WANT TO POST A HELPFULL REPLY too someones elses THREAD,on a HELP FORUM DO NOT POST!!!! GTFO.

Any way it seems like people are not deleting the OLDER SYSTEM RESTORE points before running defragler. You should also be cleaning your system w/CCleaner to dump all that crap first! I make sure my system is clean,before running either WIN defrag/or soon DEFRAGLER. Dump all your temporary Internet files/cookies, run disk clean up,etc,etc.Or just get CCleaner and use it FIRST and after system is as clean then defrag it! It makes no sense to defrag a system with all the stuff you don't need or want still in it.

This is the most crap statement I have ever seen. WINDOWS DEFRAGGER !!! This Sloth-like system takes 5 hours or more to complete. If you are over 30 years old, then forget Wndows Defragging - you just ain`t got enough life left.

KAS

Well, you are so blessed to be so smart and have such an efficient setup that Defraggler runs fast. I just downloaded Defraggler and it is very slow, but this is the first defag operation other that Vista's defragger to be run on my 320 GB SETA hard drive. I do have an old, slow PC. It is about 10 months old.

DELL XPS M1530

Intell Core2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz 2.4 GHz (I know, I listed 2.4 GHz twice, but it is a dual core)

4 GB RAM

Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

Defraggler has run for 18 hours now and I am down from 6,800 defragmented files to 360.

It is slow, but again, it is free and it has GUI that Vista that does not offer. After looking at the first analysis, it does not appear Vista was defragmenting anything even though it was set to.

If I survive this first defragging, I think the defrag process will be faster in the future.

Take it easy on someone looking for advice or help, you might need it in the future.

Thank you Piriform for providing what looks like will be an excellent utility.

I'm having the same very slow performance. over 4 hours and it's only 1% complete.

Defraggler: V1.10.143

Hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

2GB RAM

Seagate 250gb 7200.10 HD

I will remove my restore points and start things again to see if that helps but this is my second time my first attempt ran for 20 hours and never got past 1%.

I'm having the same very slow performance. over 4 hours and it's only 1% complete.

Defraggler: V1.10.143

Hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

2GB RAM

Seagate 250gb 7200.10 HD

I will remove my restore points and start things again to see if that helps but this is my second time my first attempt ran for 20 hours and never got past 1%.

Disabling Restore points corrected this problem for me. Defrag completed in a reasonable amount of time.

I have a Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB of memory, and two 320GB 7200rpm drives in Raid 0. Operating system is Vista Ultimate x64. I turned system restore off and began a defragment, it's over 20 hours now and is still at 94% done. It's been at 94% for more than ten hours. I used the built in Vista defragmenter three days ago.

defraggler.JPG

Can anyone else confirm that disabling sys restore fixes slow defrag?

MrRon

AFAIK the sys-restore system itself does not interfere with defraggler BUT

it does put a huge number and size of files into "System Volume Information"

where you cannot see them at all with Windows Explorer (or almost any other tool).

So, yes, delete all Restore Points (ONLY IF BACKED-UP!) before a big defrag

and don't forget to re-enable sys-restore afterwards.

Looking at the top of this thread, the image shows a DREADFULLY fragmented drive.

Defragging weekly or even daily is MUCH quicker each time.

As I explained in another thread, "1% fragmentation" can be highly misleading.

It can mean that 5,000 (of a typical half-million) files, probably all of the most

frequently used ones, are broken into a thousand fragments each!

Other common slow-downs are Antivirus (suspend on-open detection if possible)

and indexing services, especially "Copernic" "Google Desktop" and by far the worst

"Windows Search v4". IMHO these are NEVER worth running constantly, anyway.

I have a 120 GB HD, running win xp pro. One partition FAT 32. I ran defraggler 3 days ago, but after hours of staying at 34% defraged I stopped it . Now I can't boot up my computer even in safe mode. It won't boot up using the last good configuation. I did a fixmbr and fixboot with my winxp cd, and it still would not boot. I then used UBCD4 Windows.

I used a program called TestDisk (www.cgsecurity.org). It showed the MBR and Boot sectors needed to be fixed....so I did that. I can view my files in the root directory, but on deepere analyzing of each cylinder, there is a problem with the last 3 cylinders. I still can't boot up normally to recover my data......Any help or sugestions would be appreciated.

Mike in TN

I have a 120 GB HD, running win xp pro. One partition FAT 32. I ran defraggler 3 days ago, but after hours of staying at 34% defraged I stopped it . Now I can't boot up my computer even in safe mode. It won't boot up using the last good configuation. I did a fixmbr and fixboot with my winxp cd, and it still would not boot. I then used UBCD4 Windows.

I used a program called TestDisk (www.cgsecurity.org). It showed the MBR and Boot sectors needed to be fixed....so I did that. I can view my files in the root directory, but on deepere analyzing of each cylinder, there is a problem with the last 3 cylinders. I still can't boot up normally to recover my data......Any help or sugestions would be appreciated.

Mike in TN

If you have bad tracks or cylinders on your HDD, nowadays it is best to just bin it because they cost UKP60 or less. You need to buy or borrow a USB/Firewire external disc to transfer your data, using UBCD. You can combine those with a "USB caddy" so that you can transfer an external disc to internal. If you have no money and can borrow an external disc, you could re-partition to avoid bad cylinders, but failing discs usually continue to fail and more bad cylinders will appear before long.

Fat32 is dreadfully unreliable. A single bit wrong in the boot sector can ruin the whole thing completely by making the next program overwrite the wrong FAT area. NTFS is only a bit better. The Linux Ext2 (or Ext3) system is far better. You can't boot Windows in Ext2, but there is a freeware "Ext2IFS" driver so that you can use it for a second partition with WinXP/Vista, to hold your big, valuable data. It doesn't suffer from fragmentation (hardly) at all. Unless you have a little Linux bootable partition as well, you can create and maintain it with a Linux CD system such as "Knoppix".