CCleaner breaks MCE and MCE Remote on Windows 7

For months I have been looking for the program that breaks my Windows 7 Media Center recording and Remote control, I am 99.999% CCleaner's cleaning is the cause. Everything works when I first install Windows 7, my remote works and the Media Center recordings start without a hitch...its only after I clean with CCleaner and reboot that some remote buttons (play, pause, stop, skip, replay, ff, rew, back, vol & mute) no longer function, the rest work fine (ch, green button, numbers, etc.)

BTW my remote is a Toshiba IR Remote Controller RC6 model no: G83C0005X110 and my PC is a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600 with Windows 7 RC installed

Here are my settings

[Options]Language=1033UpdateCheck=1SecureDeleteType=0SecureDeleteMethod=0WipeFreeSpaceDrives=C:\CookiesToSave=msfn.org|ryanvm.net|wincert.netDelayTemp=1HideWarnings=1AutoClose=0BackupPrompt=0IEDetailed=0FFDetailed=0MinimizeSystemTray=0MSG_WARNMOZCACHE=FalseMSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False(App)Temporary Internet Files=False(App)Cookies=True(App)History=True(App)Recently Typed URLs=True(App)Delete Index.dat files=True(App)Last Download Location=True(App)Autocomplete Form History=True(App)Recent Documents=True(App)Run (in Start Menu)=True(App)Search Assistant Autocomplete=True(App)Other Explorer MRUs=True(App)Thumbnail Cache=False(App)Empty Recycle Bin=True(App)Temporary Files=True(App)Clipboard=True(App)Memory Dumps=True(App)Chkdsk File Fragments=True(App)Windows Log Files=True(App)Windows Error Reporting=True(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=False(App)Desktop Shortcuts=False(App)Old Prefetch data=True(App)Menu Order Cache=True(App)Tray Notifications Cache=True(App)Window Size/Location Cache=True(App)User Assist History=True(App)IIS Log Files=True(App)Hotfix Uninstallers=True(App)Custom Folders=True(App)Wipe Free Space=False(App)Missing Shared DLLs=True(App)Invalid File Extensions=True(App)ActiveX and Class Issues=True(App)Interface=True(App)Applications=True(App)Fonts=True(App)Application Paths=True(App)Help Files=True(App)Installer=True(App)Obsolete Software=True(App)Run At Startup=True(App)Start Menu Ordering=True(App)MUI Cache=True

• 2 weeks later...
Check to see if your "Human Interface Device Access" service is running.

I can confirm, having that service set to Manual or Disabled is INDEED what's causing the problem! I was having the same problem on my computer, so I set that service to automatic and started it and voila! the problem was gone! Thank you very much Ashrak007!

For months I have been looking for the program that breaks my Windows 7 Media Center recording and Remote control, I am 99.999% CCleaner's cleaning is the cause. Everything works when I first install Windows 7, my remote works and the Media Center recordings start without a hitch...its only after I clean with CCleaner and reboot that some remote buttons (play, pause, stop, skip, replay, ff, rew, back, vol & mute) no longer function, the rest work fine (ch, green button, numbers, etc.)

BTW my remote is a Toshiba IR Remote Controller RC6 model no: G83C0005X110 and my PC is a Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600 with Windows 7 RC installed

(App)IIS Log Files=True

Hello there!

I tracked down this Windows 7 problem, I have it with my X10 USB Remote:

When 'IIS Log Files' is selected (like you have), CCleaner clears the folder

'\System32\LogFiles\' and with it '\System32\LogFiles\Scm\'.

After a reboot, the X10 can not control my windows mixer, but the other buttons work fine.

So I open a command shell (as admin) and recreate the folder with 'mkdir %windir%\System32\LogFiles\Scm'.

After a reboot the problem is gone! Please try this out please... and if it works, tell me why!

In Vista the Scm folder is there but in use, so CCleaner cannot delete it. And XP does not have such 'Scm' folder thing.

Google says that it is used for event tracing with 'The Service Control Manager Trace Provider':

Service Control Manager SCM

So the qestion is why remote controls need its SCMs log folder, and why it is not locked like in Vista.

Juppi

P.S. I have the German Windows 7 and do not find the "Human Interface Device Access" service, so i could not try if this locks the Scm folder..

• 3 weeks later...