"REMOVESELF" option help needed

optical10

Hello, I'm wondering if anybody can help me? I am trying to remove a folder that I think is a leftover of the DL.exe virus problem I had a month or so ago. The folder resides on a Dlink NAS so I do not want a solution that involves formatting said NAS which has 750 GB Raid 1 in years of data including music files and directories which I would not be pleased if I had to rebuild the sake of one folder.

I have run C cleaner and have even added the offending folder directory on my network into the included advanced options are suggested in online help files from C cleaner website, but I believe that that option only includes any files within said folder directory so with a little something I came across the " REMOVESELF" file mask option but I can't for the life of me determine how to incorporate this file mask option into the window wizard options. So I was wondering if anybody could write me a batch file that included this " REMOVESELF" file mask option when choosing this file that resides on this network path "\\Dlink-a2402a\Volume_1\BT\complete\GAMES WITH ISSUES"

I have done an exhaustive search of the Internet through Google to try and find a safe mode/command product/Windows XP method of removing said folder but to no avail. So I'm hoping I will find a solution here if in fact CCleaner is the program that is right for the job. Here is a list of other programs I have used unsuccessfully Unlock.exe, ID Unlocker and Sdelete with its handy right click send to batch file from this website (http://snipurl.com/hc5a1). Here is a list of the anti-spyware and malware programs which have successfully removed any viruses etc, Malware Bytes, SUPER anti-spyware, Advanced System Care, Spybot Search and Destroy, Virgin Media PC Guard, so I'm 99.9% convinced that I have now removed any offending oceans and viruses.

Before I forget I have tried to take ownership of this particular folder in Windows Vista but I was unable to even as the administrator! In Vista I can also ascertain that the current owner is root (Unix User\root) which I don't understand that I am hundred % sure that I created this folder with a different name, so the owner should read (Dad5 (HP_LAPTOP\Dad5). In Windows XP pro mode I am able to rename the folder but I cannot change its attributes from "read-only" as when I think I have applied this option successfully it reappears!

I'm pretty sure this isn't a Dlink NAS file formatting issue but just in case I have submitted a similar question on their forum.

Any help or suggestions with using "REMOVESELF" in C cleaner or any other programs suggestions will be much appreciated.

• Moderators

Hi optical10, and welcome to Piriform.

I don't pretend to understand all you said above, but I'll try a couple of suggestions that may help.

Firstly, as long as the folder is capable of being deleted, there's a workaround originally posted by Augeas, which facilitates the removal of a folder as well as it's contents.

See this post: (No12)

But from what you say, it's pretty well locked up, so you will probably have to try getting rid of the offending folder in Safe Mode with CCleaner. It runs fine in Safe Mode.

Secondly, if you haven't had your PC checked out by a malware expert, there could still be something lingering in there which you haven't shifted. Running all those security apps is no guarantee that your PC is clean.

If that's a possibility, you should have it checked over properly. You can do that, by starting here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

• Moderators

To remove a folder with a batch file (so long as it isn't locked) you can look up what settings you want to use by starting a command prompt and typing in:

rmdir /?

A working example:

RMDIR /S "C:\Somewhere On Your Hard Disk\Junk Folder"

When using RMDIR /S it doesn't matter if files are 'read-only', 'system', or 'hidden' it will get rid of the whole folder and everything in it - so long as nothing inside of it is locked which you'd need Unlocker to deal with by unlocking them as recommended by login123.