A different cookie problem

There seem to be quite a few posts about people finding cookies being deleted when they shouldn't be deleted. I use Firefox most of the time, but have upgraded to IE8 and the latest version of CCleaner today, and have found a different problem.

When I view my cookies in FF and IE, everything seems OK. However, when I look at the cookies setting in CCleaner, there are dozens of cookies in the "to delete section". These cookies are cookies for sites that I haven't visited for months (and I run CCleaner whenever I boot up). Neither FF or IE is aware of these cookies, so where did CCleaner suddenly find all these old cookies from? I don't have any other browsers on my PC. When I run CCleaner, it can't actually delete these non-existent cookies, but they still appear when I go into the settings again.

I have also experienced exactly the same problem on a different PC that only has IE installed on it. Both PCs run WinXP-Home-SP3 with NIS2008.

I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner yet, but I wanted to make people aware of this.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems?

Thanks for your reply.

Cookies and Index.dat are both selected under Internet Explorer. Cookies is selected under Firefox on the PC that is running Firefox.

It's as if CCleaner keeps a log of all the cookies that it's deleted over the last few months, and has suddenly decided to display that log when I look at the cookies on the PC. No other programs seem to know anything about these cookies.

This also happens on a 3rd PC that is running WinXP-Home-SP3 with NIS2009 (IE8 but not Firefox). If I've found this problem on 3 PCs, surely I can't be the only person to have experienced it.

I don't know whether this helps, but I've got a bit more information.

When I visit a website that has cookies that I don't want to save, close down FF, and then open CCleaner, I find that only the cookies added by the new site are listed in the "Cookies to delete" section. I then close down CCleaner, and run it by right-mouse-clicking on the recycle bin. When I open CCleaner again, I find the whole list of old cookies appears again.

I tried unticking the "run CCleaner at start-up" option, but this hasn't solved the problem, so I've ticked it again.

A lot of the old cookies are tracking cookies, but they aren't picked up by AdAware, so it seems that it's only CCleaner that thinks these cookies are there.

Everything that Rob has mentioned is exactly the same problem that I am having.

I am only running IE7 and Vista Home Basic. My settings for Cookies have been the same ever since I first started to use CCleaner. In previous versions and Updates of CCleaner has always removed the cookies in the leftpane.

There are now loads of 'old' cookies listed in that leftpane that are maybe 2-3 months old.

It's getting to the point that I'm thinking of uninstalling CCleaner and starting from scratch.

This really needs to be fixed. :angry:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's experienced this, I was beginning to think I was imagining it.

Uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner would probably solve the problem, and wouldn't be that much hassle. However, I think there's an important point here. This has shown that CCleaner must keep a log of what it's deleted over the last few months. I assume that a log of the previous clean is needed for debugging, but surely keeping logs for the last few months isn't necessary, and isn't what I expect from a program that's supposed to get rid of clutter!

I'm sorry to sound negative, I think that CCleaner is an excellent product, it's just that it has a few problems at the moment.

You aren't alone. I thought I was the only one having this problem. ;)

When I use/install a software program - unless it is my Security/Firewall - I don't want it to save ANY logs at all.

Like I stated previously...everything worked perfectly until this latest Update.

This 'bug' should get fixed real fast, or else there will be others having the same problem and then deciding all the hassle isn't worth it and remove it from their computers. I did that with Spybot and Ad-Aware when they started to get bloated and/or too many bugs.

I don't know if this is relevant, but when CCleaner runs during start-up, the CCleaner icon stays next to the clock (is that the "notification area"?) until I move my mouse over it, when it disappears. When I run CCleaner manually, the icon only appears when CCleaner is actually running. This has happened ever since the small icon was introduced.

This happens on all the PCs I have installed CCleaner on, but I seem to remember it was supposed to have been fixed a few months ago. This has never bothered me before (in fact, I would have considered it normal behaviour if I hadn't read about it being fixed), but thought I'd mention it, just in case it's relevant.

Thanks for your posts.

Sorry for all the problems you're having guys. If it's any consolation, I now also have a window full of old cookies.

I'm sure this will be fixed as soon as possible.

*passes tissues and a couple of beers* :P

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. ;)

I only have the icon in my QLaunch and click on that when I want to use CCleaner. I also don't have it 'running' on startup.

Still waiting for a reply from someone as to fixing this problem.

Giving it a few more days and then I'm going to uninstall and re-install.

Ok, I decided not to wait.

I completely uninstalled all references on my harddrive of CCleaner.

I re-installed it, did all the checkmarks that I had previously,including the cookies that I wanted in the rightpane, ran the Analyze section.

I even rebooted. Opened the program again, looked in the Cookies section...damn leftpane is loaded again with all the old cookies! :angry:

Not good!

I am not a happy camper at this point. I guess I will just use the Analyze function until someone decides to get this bug fixed. Hope it is soon. Plenty of people are getting upset about this bug.

I re-installed it, did all the checkmarks that I had previously,including the cookies that I wanted in the rightpane, ran the Analyze section.

I even rebooted. Opened the program again, looked in the Cookies section...damn leftpane is loaded again with all the old cookies!

Hi Lonnie,

Ccleaner does not delete anything if you run ANALYZE. It only shows up the items that will deleted when you RUN CLEANER.

You use the ANALYZE function to see all the Cookies. Then you have the opportunity to KEEP some, if you want, by moving them to the right side.

The RUN CLEANER function will make the Cookies disappear from the left side and out of your system. I sometimes do the RUN CLEANER 2-3 times until I get 0 (zero).

When you visit the places where the cookies come from you will pick up many of the same cookies again.

Every time you wish to clean your system you have to use RUN CLEANER.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Eva

I've always used the Analyze first, then the Run.

Found a solution to the problem.

Answer was posted on the dslreports.com website in the Software Forum.

Adobe Flash Player has to be checked. Also using the Adobe Flash Manager settings for each tab must be used. I don't understand any of that stuff, so I just went ahead and clicked on each tab and used my own judgment.

Ran CCleaner, looked at the Cookies section... nice clean leftpane! :lol:

Interesting work-around, I'll try it and see how I get on.

There are still two important questions that should be answered:

1) Why does CCleaner keep logs covering such a long time-span?

2) How do we view and delete these logs?

Rob

I don't think CCleaner keeps logs...not according to a post here.

Glad it worked out for you. :D

Glad you found the link.

Yes, I too wonder where those old cookies were stored. If CCleaner doesn't have 'logs', there has got to be someplace on the computer where these things were 'hidden'. :(

This should be addressed further by someone. These old cookies don't just magically reappear out of thin air. That's the purpose of running CCleaner!

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the cookies section in the latest version (2.20.920), it says "This includes cookies from all internet browsers and Flash plugins).

I assume that all these old cookies that "re-appeared" were Adobe Flash cookies, and CCleaner only started cleaning these cookies when we noticed this problem. In other words, they have always been there, but CCleaner didn't know about them until recently.