How to use SiteAdvisor in Google Chrome and SRWare Iron

Andavari

• Moderators

How to use McAfee SiteAdvisor's site analysis in Google Chrome and SRWare Iron:

Read the article here.

It's super easy to just drag the link on the page into the Bookmarks Bar.

Usage:

After you've got the bookmark in your Bookmarks Bar when on a site to check it just click McAfee SiteAdvisor, and a new tab will open giving you the statistics of the website you're visiting.

Note:

This only checks a site once you're actually visiting it, however it's rather useful to determine if a site is safe before bookmarking it and making return visits.

Thanks Andavari. My Chromium keeps crashing when I go to that website for some reason. Everything else works fine. I think it's a bug in the latest Chromium version. I hope it's fixed.

• Moderators

Since that plugin site is crashing your browser here's some manual instructions:

1. Manual Installation Instructions:
  2. Click the wrench icon, and then select Bookmark manager.
  3. Go into Bookmarks bar.
  4. Right click on the right side and select Add page.
  5. For the name type in McAfee SiteAdvisor, or to save space name it SiteAdvisor.
  6. For the URL download the text document below, open it in Notepad if your browser doesn't automatically show it in another window.
  7. Copy the javascript code using CTRL+C on your keyboard (helpful if copying the code using your browser).
  8. Finally paste the code into the URL field, then click OK and you're done.

I don't use Google Chrome either. Too many privacy issues, and it installs a lot of other junk along with it. I use Chromium Portable (latest versions), from this link: http://portableappz.blogspot.com/search?q=Chromium Chromium is the open source project behind Google Chrome, and when you download either Google Chrome or Chromium from the website I gave, the privacy issues are removed too. Plus, SRWare Iron rarely seems to get updated. Which is why I use Chromium. It's also updated pretty frequently too, so it's better than Chrome and Iron. Chromium also has all of the features of SRWare Iron and Google Chrome too.

Btw, latest Chromium fixed the crash bug with the site. Everything works well now, and thanks for the SiteAdvisor trick Andavari! Works great! :)

Also, if you want instructions on how to get AdBlocking in Google Chrome, Chromium, and SRWare Iron with AdSweep, I have a TXT file attached with instructions on how to do so.

• Moderators

Thank you for the AdSweep mention, although I already know about it. The latest build of Iron has an adblocker built-in by default, it however isn't AdSweep although it works good.

I'll check Chromium in a few minutes, maybe I'll be switching browsers yet again. :lol:

I used to use SRWare Iron, but it was falling behind in updates and new features such as extension support, because it was rarely updated, while Google Chrome and Chromium were updated pretty frequently (Chromium like every hour).