"Partition Magic" Question

Tom AZ

Can anyone tell me if "Partition Magic" has the capability of creating an additional partition on an existing non-partitioned hard drive without destroying any of the data or content already on that drive? I am particularly interested in creating a partition for the OS (XP).

I'm no pro at this sort of thing but I bought Partition Magic 8 and have used it years ago, and being brave recently I've reinstalled it and partitioned my hard drive so I have XP and WinME on the same drive single hard drive. My Partition Magic CD came with Boot Magic, which comes up when I boot and on that screen I choose whether I want XP or ME to load.

As far as I can tell, you can create a new partition on your existing drive without disrupting existing files. You can make the new partition(s) whatever size you want, provided you give them enough buffer space between partitions. (That's all figured within the program itself.)

• Moderators

I used Partition Magic many years ago in the Win98 days however what you're asking doesn't make anything pop into memory. Perhaps if they have a forum it would be a question to ask them, or even email them if at all possible to get some sort of official response.

• Moderators
TC, how can hard drive store data without any partitions?

Re-read post #1, he meant a normal hard disk as in C:\ that hasn't been split just yet with other partitions on it.

Re-read post #1, he meant a normal hard disk as in C:\ that hasn't been split just yet with other partitions on it.

You are right, Andavai, that is what I meant.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes; definitely. I did that last year for a guy who had always run Windows ME. I used Partition Magic to subdivide his one-and-only partition. Then I set up Windows 2000 for him on the new partition. Absolutely no problem; Partition Magic is meant for the job.

? Even so, you might consider doing a really thorough defrag of your existing partition first. Sort of to keep all your files at one end, as much as possible. Make the job easier for Partition Magic.

? And of course, you're backed up. Right?

Have fun. It is a cool operation to perform.