Defraggler not defragging all files.

azjude

Just downloaded Defraggler today and did a defrag. It is showing 33% fragmented and I cannot get it to go any lower and it is also showing all of the fragmented files and they are scattered throughout, some in blocks and some not. Any suggestion to get the percentage of fragmented files lower???

Just downloaded Defraggler today and did a defrag. It is showing 33% fragmented and I cannot get it to go any lower and it is also showing all of the fragmented files and they are scattered throughout, some in blocks and some not. Any suggestion to get the percentage of fragmented files lower???

Defraggler doesn't seem to defrag all files, especially large files and or drives with little free space.

However, if you do the analyze, then look at the file list and check a file or 2 at a time it will do them, this can take a while to go through the whole list.

Defrag'n the free space doesnt work very well but it is an option in the drop-down menus.

-Jim-

here's a tip: go to the 'file list' tab and click on 'size'.

You'll see that the biggest files are listed on top then. You may see that some of these are 'system volume information' (these are your system restore files).

delete those files and possibly the fragmentation rate will go down (defraggler can't defrag them) :)

A question is never dumb, the person who asks it is.

system: Windows Vista home premium sp1, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 quad cpu Q9400 2.66 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Safe to delete the "system restore files????? Thanks for any and all information from all!!!!!!

sorry, I forgot to mention that the latest release of CCleaner has an option to select and delete specific restore points :P

It's quite safe to delete the ones you don't need because those restore points are just a waste of space

(be sure you leave at least one on your pc, just in case.)

king moeha

system: Windows Vista home premium sp1, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 quad cpu Q9400 2.66 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

When I initially posted-

Analysis showed:

387 fragmented files

1855 total fragments

25% fragmentation

Now after deleting all but two system restore points with CCleaner:

92 fragmented

640 total fragments

35% fragmentation.

Do not really understand the increase in fragmentation. Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

hmmm...

it seems there are only 92 fragmented files, so I guess those file might be very big. (how big is your hard disk btw?)

another file consuming file is your pagefile

if you're using xp you can defrag this with PageDefrag (not compatible with vista!)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

I can't think of something else right now :)

king moeha

When I initially posted-

Analysis showed:

387 fragmented files

1855 total fragments

25% fragmentation

Now after deleting all but two system restore points with CCleaner:

92 fragmented

640 total fragments

35% fragmentation.

Do not really understand the increase in fragmentation. Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

System info:

HP Pavillion

Vista Home Premium

AMD Athlon

64 x 2 Dual core processor

320GB hard drive

4800 + 2.5 Ghz

1024 mb system memory

memory (Ram) 1.00 GB Further tips??? Thank you!

nope sorry, nothing I can think of :blink:

greetz, king moeha

• 6 months later...

System info:

HP Pavillion

Vista Home Premium

AMD Athlon

64 x 2 Dual core processor

320GB hard drive

4800 + 2.5 Ghz

1024 mb system memory

memory (Ram) 1.00 GB Further tips??? Thank you!

As you notice, the number of fragments and the number of fragmented files both decreased. This is, in part, that you removed some large fragmented files. The reason your fragmentation percentage increased is that the part you deleted must have been less fragmented (by percentage) than the part that remains.

The conclusion is that your drive is now less fragmented than it was before, but a higher percentage of the remaining data is split into fragments. No worries.

You'll see that the biggest files are listed on top then. You may see that some of these are 'system volume information' (these are your system restore files).

delete those files and possibly the fragmentation rate will go down (defraggler can't defrag them) :)

defrag.jpg

ARR, i ran defraggler three times, and on each run it defragmented about 15% eventually getting it down to 23% from 75%

I wondered what those files at the top are, and now relize they carn't be defragmented.

Just checking DELETE ONLY THE "SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION" files and maybe leave one.......

Vista home premium\toshiba laptop L300-1BV\ 2GB RAM \ 32 BIT

Still haven't found out if defraggler defrags all files regardless of there size

It most certainly does, on my xp machine i must have had about 80 restore points, i deleted about 60 of them , now i have a 1% fragmentation..

But i was surprised on the vista machine, there was only 3 restore points, on XP there are alot of "system check points" but non on vista

O WELL, THE VISTA MACHINE IS A LOT NEWER, but i thought there would be more restore points...... :blink: