Recovery Console is a system saver

Andavari

• Moderators

I'm glad I've got the Windows XP Recovery Console installed as it just saved my XP installation which for reasons unknown to me the bootsector was corrupted, not cool. :huh: Luckily the fix only took mere seconds, and I was up and running again. Whew. :)

It's been often said on here by the malware removal experts to install the Recovery Console to aid in the removal of malware, well it's also very good for restoring your system with the utilities it provides to get back into a good working state. You'll of course need to be comfortable using command line programs, and it wouldn't hurt to learn now for the future. Not having to go the route of the dreaded format and re-installation is best avoided if possible!

Bleeping Computer has a very detailed article with screenshots on how to use and install the Recovery Console, which is something I'd highly recommend:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial117.html

The official article from Microsoft is located here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Recovery Console is also the utility that the XP install CD uses for the Repair function, but of course you'll need to understand how to use it beforehand hence the articles listed above.

• Moderators

For you guys with XP and no install CD, such as yours truly, you can install the Recovery Console from the Windows folder.

C:\Windows\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

I've just installed mine this way, and I initially got a warning that this version of Windows is older than the CD. What CD?

When I clicked out of that, I got the popup asking to confirm that I wanted to install the Recovery Console. After agreeing, I got a further message asking if I wanted to download updates from MS.

I refused that, and then the Recovery Console was installed in about 2 seconds.

• Moderators

Probably, but after the recent episode with the still mysterious "phone home" Windows Explorer, I'm reluctant to download anything from MS without checking it out, and it didn't actually say it was an update.

It was a kneejerk reaction to say not at the moment thanks.

Mine came preinstalled with my PC on a separate drive or a partition (not sure). Haven't had to use it yet. :)

EDIT: That wasn't the recovery console. The one that came installed on a separate partition is called the Recovery Partition.