Outpost Firewall Free 6.5

Andavari

Thanks. I did a Google search, but didn't come across that page. Now I just have to decide if I should finally switch from Sygate. I've used Sygate for ~5 years, and it's so simply and extremely light on RAM and system resources, so I'm still undecided.

I still use Sygate too - still passes all firewall tests I throw at it and, as you say, is light on resources so have no intention of changing for the time being. Besides the thought of spending weeks teaching a new firewall what to allow and block is not something I wanna deal with unless I have to :D

• Moderators
Besides the thought of spending weeks teaching a new firewall what to allow and block is not something I wanna deal with unless I have to :D

Outpost Firewall Free has an Auto-Learn mode, and if you malware scan your PC beforehand and are certain it's clean you can enable and it will automatically to allow your applications Internet access creating rules for them which is rather unique.

With Outpost Firewall Free I went through the whole Start Menu and loaded everything one after another, it took me a good 1/2 hour and the firewall application rules were created. After that just turn off Auto-Learn mode, which is required to enhance security.

Edited by Andavari
Fixed sentence structure

• Moderators

If anyone notices the Outpost Firewall icon change to this image, and a process "acs.exe" is running in the background, it's a component of Outpost Firewall, don't end task it and it will eventually automatically exit.

Info about it is available here.

• Moderators

This new outpost gets a thumbs up from me.

I've been using it for a few days now(4) and it hasn't bothered me at all.

When I installed it, I chose to have it auto create rules for one week(as I know my pc is clean) and it has not prompted me for anything yet.

I don't love its GUI but its simple/functional and I can live with it. The program is stable, doesn't take forever to load, and its really easy to control network communications with it(Just uncheck a few boxes). Its getting good reviews from the security people so it seems to work as well.

As someone who gave up on software firewalls a long time ago, this one doesn't bother me in the least.

I will leave it on this computer just for the simple fact that it works and doesn't get in the way at all. I just hope it stays this way, because this is a program that I would recommend to others at this point. (but you never know with firewalls, they can become finicky out of the blue sometimes)

. . .I chose to have it auto create rules for one week. . .

. . .you never know with firewalls, they can become finicky out of the blue sometimes

I did that also, but turned "auto-learn" off before the week was out. Its the simplest such procedure I have seen, just right click the tray icon and select "Enter" or "Leave" auto-learn mode.

If Outpost blocks an installation or an application, you get a popup, a decent explanation of what is happening, and choices.

Howeeever, it did lock up 3 times while editing the application rules. Finicky out of the blue. <_<

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

It is still going trouble free for me at the moment. I've been using this pc pretty extensively the past couple of days too. I really like this program so I hope it stays this way.

I think this is one to try for anyone interested in having a software firewall.

However if it does cause problems in the future it will be kicked the the curb as I don't really feel like I need a software firewall anyway, but it is nice to have I guess. (at the moment I don't even notice its running, I'm interested to see how it acts once the week is up on the auto learn)