Slow Windows startup

Eli

Hi

Although I defrag, clean up the system, and scan for malware regularly, and only 6 essential programs at start up, I can`t figure out why it still takes 2 minutes for Windows to load and be ready to go.

Any clues?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

I've noticed most PCs' start-up tend to be a lot longer than mine because of peripherals like printers, scanners, faxes, etc. All those drivers and services need the extra time to fight each other for priority. Notice the icons in your system tray don't come up in the exact same order every time?

And there's apps like Adobe Photo Management(etc.), Yahoo Online Security, AOL, and all the other piddly crappe I wouldn't touch with a ten foot clown pole that are fighting to get onto the system tray as well.

Some tips :

Update to SP3.

Download Autoruns, a SysInternals freeware, and disable useless things. (like the 3 Java entries, if you have OpenOffice there are 4 OpenOffice entries, etc)

Windows key + R >> Type services.msc and hit Enter >> Disable some useless things. (but ONLY if you know exactly what they do)

Windows key + R >> type msconfig >> Go to the Startup tab (or a name like that), click Advanced options, check the "Number of processors" checkbox, and in the dropdownn list click on 2. (I don't know the exact names, my computer is in French)

Maybe buy some more RAM.

Piriform French translator

Any chance you would let us know which programs load at startup?

Hi Hazelnut

Please see attached start up list.

Thanks

• Moderators

I use Online Armor myself and have no startup slowdown. Are you using the paid AV version or the free? Have you tried turning of spyware terminator at startup and seeing if there is any improvement?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I use Online Armor myself and have no startup slowdown. Are you using the paid AV version or the free? Have you tried turning of spyware terminator at startup and seeing if there is any improvement?

I use the OA free version. I have tried to turn of OA and Spyware terminator with no apparent difference.

• Moderators

Okay that leaves avast. :)

Have you tried putting a differnt av on, or disabling avast as a startup test?

There is nothing wrong with avast , I only mention it as you can have 2 people with similar softwares but because of machine and microsoft quirks, a certain software can cause slowdowns or conflicts for one user but not the other.

What firewall did you have previously? Are you sure it is completely uninstalled?

Tried booting with no desktop selected?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've noticed most PCs' start-up tend to be a lot longer than mine because of peripherals like printers, scanners, faxes, etc. All those drivers and services need the extra time to fight each other for priority. Notice the icons in your system tray don't come up in the exact same order every time?

And there's apps like Adobe Photo Management(etc.), Yahoo Online Security, AOL, and all the other piddly crappe I wouldn't touch with a ten foot clown pole that are fighting to get onto the system tray as well.

I indeed have noticed that the icons in the system tray don't come up in the exact same order every time, is there a way to manage that?

There is nothing wrong with avast , I only mention it as you can have 2 people with similar softwares but because of machine and microsoft quirks, a certain software can cause slowdowns or conflicts for one user but not the other.

What firewall did you have previously? Are you sure it is completely uninstalled?

There are 2 non deletable comodo entries in the registry :

1/Comodo firewall prohelper driver.

2/Comodo firewall prosandbox driver. Other than that,no other Comodo residues in the system.

Other than slow booting, there is no additional noticeable slowdown, but I wouldn`t want it to get there if I can help it.

I have tried to disable Avast`s booting with Windows, through:config,services,ccleaner and some other programs I have and..... it still boots, the only way to disable it would be to delete the program! this AV rocks!!!

• Moderators

Yes avast is a good av. :)

Comodo is notorious for leaving entries behind.

I wonder if those 2 comodo items are listed as legacy items in the registry? If so they are best left alone as removing them can require altering permissions etc. I take it that the windows security centre lists OA as the firewall, and that in device manager>view>show hidden devices, under non plug+play there are no comodo items listed.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yes avast is a good av. :)

Comodo is notorious for leaving entries behind.

I wonder if those 2 comodo items are listed as legacy items in the registry? If so they are best left alone as removing them can require altering permissions etc. I take it that the windows security centre lists OA as the firewall, and that in device manager>view>show hidden devices, under non plug+play there are no comodo items listed.

In device manager, under non plug + play, there are no Comodo items listed+Windows lists OA as the firewall.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is booting with no desktop selected?

• Moderators

Sorry Eli I should have used 'better' words, control panel>display>desktop drop down arrow, select none.

Another thing is your system time correct?

Do you use a usb hub? If so try unplugging before booting.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Sorry Eli I should have used 'better' words, control panel>display>desktop drop down arrow, select none.

Another thing is your system time correct?

Do you use a usb hub? If so try unplugging before booting.

Desktop drop down arrow, selected none. System time is correct. I do not use a usb hub.

We are running out of ideas here, but at least you are exploring all areas of your system :)

Which build number of OA free are you using?

OA 3.5.0.9 (latest). Exploring....,the story of my life.... :lol:

• Moderators

That ctfmon.exe file can also cause some systems severe slowdowns, and not just at boot-time, although I don't know if that's your issue. The free xp-AntiSpy can deal with that ctfmon.exe file!

xp-AntiSpy screenshot with description (click to enlarge):

29e11cd4a700.png

That ctfmon.exe file can also cause some systems severe slowdowns, and not just at boot-time, although I don't know if that's your issue. The free xp-AntiSpy can deal with that ctfmon.exe file!

xp-AntiSpy screenshot with description (click to enlarge):

29e11cd4a700.png

Does this means I can disable it with a French Windows ?

Piriform French translator