Windows Defender

dave119

Hi,

I am trying to add Windows Defender scan history files to exclude list.

When I run CC it deletes "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Results\Quick\{a big long code}"

and then the Windows security centre comes up and says no scan run , blah, blah, blah, with the little icon in the notification area which I just don't like - it annoys me.

I can't seem to find "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Results" to add to exclude list.

If I put windows defender from program files into exclude, CC still wants to remove this history file.

(I did the same with antivrus program - took from program files - and CC no longer removes history scan file.)

Just can't figure out Defender.

Running Vista Business SP1.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Dave

Hi dave119, and welcome to the forum.

The easiest solution would be to open CCleaner and clear the check box for Windows Defender.

Cleaner > Applications > Utilities > Windows Defender

If you want to exclude the folder: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Results"

You will need to show hidden files and folders.

Tools > Folder Options > View > show hidden files and folders, click OK

When your done excluding the folder, change the setting back to do not show hidden files and folders.

Note: Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not typical items. Usually, hidden files are program or system files that should not be deleted or changed.

Thanks,

My first thought after reading your reply was "There's a check box!?!?! Where?????"

Sorry, didn't get around to, or even notice, the box "applications".

Oh well, its unchecked now.

Again, many thanks from a simple minded idiot such as myself.

Best regards,

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hey guys ;)

I think I might be having a similar problem.

I have Windows Defender set to do a scan once a week at 6.00PM every Sunday... it doesn't happen.

Windows Defender tray icon appears with an exclamation mark... Windows Defender reports that the last scan was ten days ago...bla bla bla, so when that happens I click scan now and every thing is OK again.

Is CCleaner upsetting Windows Defender "scheduled" scan's by removing the scan log history?

If I uncheck the cleaning option for Windows Defender in CCleaner, will scheduled scans run normally?

Craig

• Moderators

Disable Windows Defender cleaning in the Cleaner section of CCleaner and it will no longer remove anything that's Windows Defender related. While doing that it's also a good ideal to disable the cleaning of your installed antivirus, antispyware, antimalware app (if supported) if you like to look at the logs.