Ccleaner cookie problem with IE8

Last night I downloaded IE8 for my computer that's running XP service pack 3. I have been using Ccleaner religiously the past few years with zero problems while running IE7. Now with IE8 I'm suddenly having a major problem with cookies not being correctly saved with Ccleaner, but it's only at restart or reboot of the computer.

Here's what happens in detail and I'll use my homepage of "my yahoo" as the example: The My Yahoo cookies are saved in the "cookies to keep" section of Ccleaner. Before shutting down computer I run Ccleaner. I then immediately check "cookies to keep" section to make sure Ccleaner did not delete the "My Yahoo" and "Yahoo" cookies. Ccleaner correctly and as expected did not delete those cookies the list. So I shut down or restart computer. I then open my "My Yahoo" homepage and all my personalized settings are gone and I am forced to sign in to My Yahoo. Before doing so I check Ccleaner to see if somehow the My Yahoo cookies have somehow disappeared from the "cookies to keep" list. But they are still there as they should be, yet something is not working right because I have to sign in to My Yahoo. But it's not just Yahoo, ALL of my cookies saved in the "cookies to keep" section did not work and save my settings on several other websites. I never had this problem with Ccleaner running on IE7.

Any help or advice much appreciated. Thank You.

Pete

XP/sp3. Latest Ccleaner update. Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

It seems to be a bug in IE8 and IE7, not CCleaner. I found out that my IE7 will not keep cookies for long, even with CCleaner uninstalled. Also, the cookies I stored in IE7 bleed over to effect Firefox, making Firefox seem unstable with cookies, too. In the IE7 I turned off the cookie acceptance. FireFox used to be always stable and I always preferred it to IE7, but the recent bug IE7 developed will affect Firefox cookies, especially in CCleaner. So, now I only use IE7 for Microsoft updates.

If you do not have it, please try Firefox. Download Firefox and use it for everything needing cookies.

That's my solution. If its not what you think you are looking for? Try running your IE8 for a while with cookies delete turned off in CCleaner. See if IE8 loses its cookies just the same. I found that my IE7 was losing its cookies randomly all on its own, without even touching CCleaner. And, I also found that IE7's cookies problem effected FireFox's cookies making FireFox lose its cookies. It made CCleaner look bad.

Hope that helps... GeneZ

Last night I downloaded IE8 for my computer that's running XP service pack 3. I have been using Ccleaner religiously the past few years with zero problems while running IE7. Now with IE8 I'm suddenly having a major problem with cookies not being correctly saved with Ccleaner, but it's only at restart or reboot of the computer.

Here's what happens in detail and I'll use my homepage of "my yahoo" as the example: The My Yahoo cookies are saved in the "cookies to keep" section of Ccleaner. Before shutting down computer I run Ccleaner. I then immediately check "cookies to keep" section to make sure Ccleaner did not delete the "My Yahoo" and "Yahoo" cookies. Ccleaner correctly and as expected did not delete those cookies the list. So I shut down or restart computer. I then open my "My Yahoo" homepage and all my personalized settings are gone and I am forced to sign in to My Yahoo. Before doing so I check Ccleaner to see if somehow the My Yahoo cookies have somehow disappeared from the "cookies to keep" list. But they are still there as they should be, yet something is not working right because I have to sign in to My Yahoo. But it's not just Yahoo, ALL of my cookies saved in the "cookies to keep" section did not work and save my settings on several other websites. I never had this problem with Ccleaner running on IE7.

Any help or advice much appreciated. Thank You.

Pete

EDIT: I should have posted this in the thread already started below that I now see, apologies.

Hi bamapete, I have the identical problem you're having. Had IE7, never had a problem with the cookies and CCleaner, downloaded IE8 and the Cookie problem began, it has been mentioned in this forum already.

This is what I did to get a temporary fix:

>Open CCleaner and in Internet Explorer uncheck index.dat files

>Go to Settings and uncheck Run Cleaner when the Computer Starts

These is what took care of my problem, I have Windows Vista Premium>IE8>CCleaner Version 2.18.878. Again, this is a temporary fix, until they come out with the next version. Like you had CCleaner for a few years, these Piriform guys will come out with an update soon, they have never let us down. Hope this works for you, it did for me. Regards, vet1964

Hi bamapete, I have the identical problem you're having. Had IE7, never had a problem with the cookies and CCleaner, downloaded IE8 and the Cookie problem began, it has been mentioned in this forum already.

This is what I did to get a temporary fix:

>Open CCleaner and in Internet Explorer uncheck index.dat files

>Go to Settings and uncheck Run Cleaner when the Computer Starts

These is what took care of my problem, I have Windows Vista Premium>IE8>CCleaner Version 2.18.878. Again, this is a temporary fix, until they come out with the next version. Like you had CCleaner for a few years, these Piriform guys will come out with an update soon, they have never let us down. Hope this works for you, it did for me. Regards, vet1964

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your EDIT, I also apologized.

Edited by vet1964

vet1964, thank you very much for your tip. I've done that and indeed the problem is solved. I too am a loyal user and fan of Ccleaner and feel confident that this little bug will be fixed soon. BTW, I like IE8 very much...a big improvement over IE7. Its InPrivate safe web browsing mode is super, as are the new funcitons Web Slices and Accelerator.

vet1964, thank you very much for your tip. I've done that and indeed the problem is solved. I too am a loyal user and fan of Ccleaner and feel confident that this little bug will be fixed soon. BTW, I like IE8 very much...a big improvement over IE7. Its InPrivate safe web browsing mode is super, as are the new funcitons Web Slices and Accelerator.

Hi bamapete, glad that worked for you also. Like you, I am also a fan of IE8 and CCleaner, you're also right about IE8 being a big improvement over IE7 and also like you, love the InPrivate safe web mode, Web Slices and Accelerator etc.., but what's more surprising to me is "It all Works", can only speak for myself, but haven't had a single problem or should I say "found a bug" in the new browser of MS, take my hat off to the developers at MS, great job and I must also add, it is only one man's opinion. Good luck bamapete, Regards, vet1964 :)

I am having the same problem too

Everytime I reboot I have lost all my personalised settings even though I have never had this problem before, but it was until I updated to IE8

I am using Vista ultimate.

Do as vet1964 suggests and it should fix your problem until Ccleaner patches the bug, hopefully when they release the next version. Open Ccleaner and remove the check mark from "index.dat files," the fifth item from the top. Then go to Options > Settings and uncheck Run Cleaner when the Computer Starts.

Do as vet1964 suggests and it should fix your problem until Ccleaner patches the bug, hopefully when they release the next version. Open Ccleaner and remove the check mark from "index.dat files," the fifth item from the top. Then go to Options > Settings and uncheck Run Cleaner when the Computer Starts.

Hi Bamapete, looks to me that the new version that came out today v2.19.889 didn't take care of the IE8 cookies bug. I am still kicking it around and trying to look for something new to do, but I believe we have to go back to the one we used before, and wait to see what happens or if somebody comes up with a better idea. Regards, vet1964

vet1964, yea I saw where the new version just out did not fix the problem, so for time being I'm not going to download the update.

Hi Bamapete, think I found the issue with IE8 and Ccleaner or maybe it could be that I am going insane. Try the following:

Make sure the cookies you want to keep are all on the Exclude list of Ccleaner

Go to:

>Tools

>Internet Options

>Under General tabs go to

>Browsing History

>Click Delete and when new pane opens>

>Uncheck Preserve Favorites website data (first one)

>uncheck all of them if you like, it will work either way (I unclick cookies, internet temporary files etc.., history Ccleaner does that)

I tried these new settings 3 times and it worked every time, kept all my cookies without unchecking Start Ccleaner or Index.dat files. It has to be that you have a compatability problem, two different softwares (the one in IE8 and Ccleaner) doing the same job. I will let the guys that know, the Piriform guys figure this out. Hope it works for you, Regards, vet1964

CCleaner folks.. Some people may be missing this. CCleaner is getting blamed for something it is not always causing.

There seems to be a bug in IE7 itself, not CCleaner. I found out that my IE7 failed to keep cookies for long, even with CCleaner uninstalled.

The cookies I saved for IE7 bled over as to also effect Firefox cookies, making Firefox seem unstable with cookies in CCleaner. I turned off the cookie acceptance in IE7.

Now I only use a cookie-less IE7 for Microsoft updates by keeping its cookies feature turned OFF. FireFox runs perfectly this way. Saved cookies with CCleaner now are no problem!

GeneZ

Hi bamapete, sorry but you must have "Run Ccleaner when the Computer starts uncheck", and also found out by accident that the best way to have the Compatibility View Settings feature is with all of them checked, it will log you out as soon as you surf away from websites that are not compatible with IE8, found the problem about ten minutes ago. Got rid of the problem by doing what I mentioned above.

Let me make it very clear, that I "do not" in any way, shape or form blame CCleaner with the cookies problem we are having, I love the software and had it for a few years. But it is true that as soon as I downloaded IE8, the cookies problem began, and I do believe that the browser is the one causing the minor problem, but I also love IE5,6,7,8 etc.., I am hooked with Ccleaner and IE* for life. Regards, vet1964

I can't do as he suggested as I do not run ccleaner on start up

ie7 was designed to not save cookies/passwords after rebooting. at least never have gotten it to work, thusly, the machines of mine that still have ie6, will always have ie6.

ever since ie7 and it's not being intelligent enough to remember passwords/usernames i WANTED it to remember at websites, i've been using mozilla, no, not that crapware firefox either.

thought maybe ie8 finally had it figured out with the "preserve favorites website data" thing, but between crapcleaner and spybot trying to figure out how stupid ie8 is, it's turning into a bigger mess than necessary.

am using most recent versions of everything.

ie7 was designed to not save cookies/passwords after rebooting. at least never have gotten it to work, thusly, the machines of mine that still have ie6, will always have ie6.

ever since ie7 and it's not being intelligent enough to remember passwords/usernames i WANTED it to remember at websites, i've been using mozilla, no, not that crapware firefox either.

thought maybe ie8 finally had it figured out with the "preserve favorites website data" thing, but between crapcleaner and spybot trying to figure out how stupid ie8 is, it's turning into a bigger mess than necessary.

am using most recent versions of everything.

Hi missmoondoog,

I have read your comments a few times but still don't understand what the problem is??? :huh: