Filename syntax incorrect

paulcobb

I have installed and used Recuva to find a set of images that I had inadvertantly deleted.

The problem is that when I select them and try to restore - none of them restore and the error message states:

'The filname, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect'

How do I get around this please?

TIA

Paul

I have installed and used Recuva to find a set of images that I had inadvertantly deleted.

The problem is that when I select them and try to restore - none of them restore and the error message states:

How do I get around this please?

TIA

Paul

Did you have any joy with this? as I'm having the same problem

Cheers,

Pete

Can you run with /debug and PM me with the log and I will look into this.

MrRon

Hi

Just PM'd you the log but have just resolved it, you cannot recover to network drives they have to be local

Cheers, great software BTW

• 5 years later...

Hello,

I tried to restore one file with Recuva but I have the same problem

I know that a filename on Windows can't use few special characters

The thing is that the file I want to restore is named

|"@pK'^.6tb

How can I rename the removed file found by  Recuva ?

See the attached file. it's a screenshot of the software in French.

Just in case how I run the debug mode ?

Thanks in advance.

post-69692-0-85242400-1402271195_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I am currently having this error trying to recover files from a USB drive that my son decided to use and wiped out a lot of my files.  All other files were recovered with no issue but this lone file has been renamed by something to this odd name seen in the images attached.  This file is the largest and most important file on the drive.  I do not see the Debug option listed above or any way to rename the file in the program itself.  I know the format and extension that it should have if that is of any help.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Moderators

just a bit of background info for you.... :)

first up you necromanced a four year old thread which is never good forum practice (on any forum).
next, this forum is purely run by volunteers, freely giving up their spare time to help others.
so if a post goes unanswered, it's probably because no-one can help you or the person that can has yet to log on and see it.

a couple of the Admin boys are now starting to chime in but they don't offer advice that doesn't have a company spin or product angle to it.
that's not their job.

if you have Recuva Pro, you have the option to raise a ticket for priority support.
if the USB stick was not reformatted after purchase, it most likely was still a FAT32 partition which has a 2GB file limit, so the file may have just been able to be stored but is now corrupted due to the wiping and potential file size.

was that file stored anywhere else?
at the risk of stating the obvious, and yes that horse has already bolted so this won't help you now, but USB sticks like all storage medium will fail eventually, so always have your important data stored in more than one location.

@Augeas any ideas?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Not really. The file name will be in a folder somewhere (FAT or NTFS) and it looks as if it's been overwritten or corrupted somehow. The folder path can't be constructed (see the ? in the path) so what's happened to the folder I've no idea.

As the file is in one extent you could use a freebie hex editor like HxDen and copy all of the clusters in one go, but that is quite a task. If it's FAT you could use HxDen to rename the file in the directory to something readable and then retry Recuva, if you could find the directory that is. You won't be able to do this with NTFS as the MFT is protected. Or you could - and this is what I would do first as it's easy and non invasive - run a deep scan. I don't think that files that are in folders are recognised by a deep scan but it's worth a try. A deep scan doesn't recognise file names.