McAfee SiteAdvisor vs WOT

Stocker360

• Moderators
Once you download this, what do you do with it -- what's the next step?

In Firefox click File->Open, Firefox will display the add-on install dialog (I'm serving this from memory since I don't use Firefox anymore and can't check my instructions).

What if you uninstall siteadvisor, then install your modified version and then install it for IE, will it mess up the firefox install?

If you install the modified for Firefox only version, then install SiteAdvisor from their website it will replace v26.6 with v28.0 and that new version will be in both IE and Firefox.

The reason I ask is when I installed it, it used only 1 installer for both IE & firefox. In firefox there is no option to uninstall it. You have to do it through control panel and of course that will uninstall it for both.

Thanks & have a good day,

Normandie

If you install the modified for Firefox only version, then install SiteAdvisor from their website it will replace v26.6 with v28.0 and that new version will be in both IE and Firefox.

So then if you use this system you can only install it on Firefox and not IE? Unless you find an old version for IE. Here is an older version I found.

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/Securit...;maincountry=us

Thanks & God bless,

Normandie

• Moderators
So then if you use this system you can only install it on Firefox and not IE? Unless you find an old version for IE. Here is an older version I found.

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/Securit...;maincountry=us

That XPI installer is for Firefox only, it won't install anything into IE. Good that you found an older IE only version, although I previously only used SiteAdvisor once with IE for a very short while since it caused some issues in IE. Don't forget there's also the freeware TrendProtect for IE.

So what are you using now in place of Firefox -- and why did you opt to make the switch?

I switched/defected because I've put up with the dreaded page loading error page for a very long time, and multiple clean installs did absolutely nothing to fix it. I finally completely lost faith in FF, got very ticked off (nice way of saying it) and wanted to try something else. Needless to say Firefox 3 was uninstalled, and good riddens to it.

The route I've gone the past few days was (1) Google Chrome which I used for two days then read some forums about its privacy issues which could end up being exploits and what to disable in it to improve privacy, etc., then found out disabling stuff in it isn't really all that effective. Then I moved onto (2) SRWare Iron early this morning, then found out not too long afterwards that it's rarely updated which then prompted the switch to (3) Chromium which I think I've settled on. Good thing the bookmarks for all those browsers are compatible. :lol:

I haven't even been tempted to go back to Firefox which is a first because I've tried various browsers over the past two years in an attempt to get rid of it but always went back within a few hours. If it wasn't for the user script AdSweep I wouldn't even be using a Chromium based browser, I looked for a Chrome adblocker before I even downloaded anything and found out it was highly recommended.

That XPI installer is for Firefox only, it won't install anything into IE. Good that you found an older IE only version, although I previously only used SiteAdvisor once with IE for a very short while since it caused some issues in IE. Don't forget there's also the freeware TrendProtect for IE.

Thanks for the info. Since I am not sure how the old version would work with IE8 and TrendProtect says nothing about IE8 I guess I iwll just wait.

Have a good day,

Normandie

• Moderators

After trying out the very rushed "security updated" Firefox 3.0.10 today, I binned it a few hours later.

There are posts all over the net about folk having problems with it, and I think Mozilla are going to lose a lot of users as a result of this. They've lost one here, as I've cleared Firefox out, and am now using Opera exclusively.

EDIT: Slightly off topic, but I'll allow it. :)