Delete all prefetch files

taaf

It's my understanding that superfetch is similar to prefetch, as far as idea. Superfetch loads frequently used apps into memory, so they load faster upon user input. It has that same 'trace' feel as prefetch. Should the user not be able to empty it, or at least have CCleaner delete older listings?

It's my understanding that superfetch is similar to prefetch, as far as idea. Superfetch loads frequently used apps into memory, so they load faster upon user input. It has that same 'trace' feel as prefetch. Should the user not be able to empty it, or at least have CCleaner delete older listings?

There are no SF listings. It justs loads commonly used libraries and apps into memory - probably using layout.ini, the same as Prefetch uses.

One more time : Emptying. Prefetch. Is. Not. A. Good. Idea.

Piriform French translator

Clearly, opinions vary when it comes to the manipulation of prefetch. My original inquiry was regarding CCleaner lack of a feature that manipulates superfetch, since it has (still) one for prefetch.

Clearly, opinions vary when it comes to the manipulation of prefetch. My original inquiry was regarding CCleaner lack of a feature that manipulates superfetch, since it has (still) one for prefetch.

You can't manipulate SuperFetch, unless you know where it loads its data - and I think it uses layout.ini since it's much easier than rebuilding another index.

I think "Old Prefetch Data" means "files in C:\Windows\Prefetch\ older than X days"....

Anyway, cleaning Prefetch is not a good idea and will not improve your computer's performance (even if lots of sites are saying disabling Prefetch is good)

I think Microsoft programmers know better what is good and what is not than most of the users.

Just like emptying temp files may NOT be good for most users. Did you know? If you LEAVE the temp files in your computer, Internet Explorer actually uses them for a good reason. DO NOT delete the temp files! Every website you go to is stored on the computer in the temporary files directory! This makes it faster, especially if you are using dial-up, because the computer will then call up the stored webpage in it's cache & load it from the harddisk instead of having to check the web for the page! I think Microsoft programmers know better what is good & what is not than most of the users! DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT delete the internet explorer files folder, or you risk LOSING all those stored webpages so that windows can load them faster next time!

Besides, doesn't windows auto clear the cache after a preset limit?

This of course, is just my way of creating a parody of the prefetch file problem to show you that technically, the temporary files CCleaner cleans could be treated exactly the same way you are treating the prefetch files.

I would love if it deleted them all. I have a fast machine, a few extra seconds never hurt anyone, & in addition, windows will re-generate the ones I use pretty rapidly!

Of course, if you still insist, I also insist on keeping all my internet explorer temporary websites folder full, because you never know how many seconds it will save to just load the website from the hardisk instead of the internet!

Hahaha!

Just like emptying temp files may NOT be good for most users. Did you know? If you LEAVE the temp files in your computer, Internet Explorer actually uses them for a good reason. DO NOT delete the temp files! Every website you go to is stored on the computer in the temporary files directory! This makes it faster, especially if you are using dial-up, because the computer will then call up the stored webpage in it's cache & load it from the harddisk instead of having to check the web for the page! I think Microsoft programmers know better what is good & what is not than most of the users! DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT delete the internet explorer files folder, or you risk LOSING all those stored webpages so that windows can load them faster next time!

Besides, doesn't windows auto clear the cache after a preset limit?

This of course, is just my way of creating a parody of the prefetch file problem to show you that technically, the temporary files CCleaner cleans could be treated exactly the same way you are treating the prefetch files.

I would love if it deleted them all. I have a fast machine, a few extra seconds never hurt anyone, & in addition, windows will re-generate the ones I use pretty rapidly!

Of course, if you still insist, I also insist on keeping all my internet explorer temporary websites folder full, because you never know how many seconds it will save to just load the website from the hardisk instead of the internet!

Hahaha!

Temp files != IE's cache. I never said emptying the cache would increase performance ; the main point of cleaning it is not having lots of data that will never be used again because you won't visit the associated website again.

However, deleting Prefetch files has no positive effect at all. They are not loaded with Windows, they do not use RAM, they do not use CPU cycles, or whatever. http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=743

:rolleyes:

Temp files != IE's cache. I never said emptying the cache would increase performance ; the main point of cleaning it is not having lots of data that will never be used again because you won't visit the associated website again.

However, deleting Prefetch files has no positive effect at all. They are not loaded with Windows, they do not use RAM, they do not use CPU cycles, or whatever. http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=743

:rolleyes:

The only reason he listed, was performance going down slightly. I really do not care. What is 1 extra second? I just know if I got trash, no matter if it is 1kb, or even 1 file, if it is trash, I want it gone. Windows will regenerate the files easily & quickly enough, so I do not care if having a PF file saves me 1 second because it preloads components needed for the files you are using. I just want them gone, gone, gone!

I have tested with & without prefetch, & even with prefetch turned off. At least, if not totally clearing the PF folder, at least give us the option to totally turn PF off without having to manually edit reg keys or use 3rd party apps. I do not like the PF folder, & I suppose that I never will. It is useless to me. Besides, with IE, over time you collect thousands or even millions of webpages, so windows has to spend a few seconds looking into your cache to find that webpage again, & it starts to slow windows back down when DSL or CABLE would pull it up much faster than windows could out of the cache. By the time windows searches a second or two for the file, the website would have it puled back up!

Then of course, there is defragmentation. Windows always goes faster after a defrag, hey? But those junk internet files, instead of having to defrag internet trash, it works much faster to get rid of the trash first, then defrag! I know everything you listed about PF files. I have worked with computers for years. I might even know things you never dreamed of knowing about the PF cache. I just know that I do not like having them there, & I want an option to delete them if I want.

You keep saying over & over that is is bad to remove, but the main & mostly ONLY reason I see you posting as a reason not to is that it degrades performance. With high speed machines such as mine, WHO CARES? I mean, a second here or there, well, I rather have a clean machine! Besides, if you just removed malware off someone's machine, do you REALLY want it to keep prefetching all the components of the malware AFTER the malware has already been taken off the machine till windows finally gets chance to remove those?

Me either!

There are just as many arguments against prefetch as there are for, so I see no reason to clean it. If the logic is used that "It speeds up loading applications", then that exact logic can be used against cleaning the internet cache "It speeds up loading web pages!".

If we use this logic as an excuse not to clean, it will never get cleaned!

Peace!

If you really want them gone...you know how.

If CCleaner included that...people would think it is a good thing, and that it should be done (simply look at how much people use the Reg cleaner without even knowing what the Registry is).

• Moderators

If CCleaner included that...people would think it is a good thing, and that it should be done (simply look at how much people use the Reg cleaner without even knowing what the Registry is).

+1

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yeah, but the registry cleaner can cause damage if used incorrectly.

There IS no possible damage that can come from clearing the prefetch folder. None. The only possible thing that can happen is windows has to recreate new PF files. So this is not like registry cleaning at all.

How can you possibly even attempt to compare cleaning a temp folder like PF, to registry cleaning that is complex & can go horrendously wrong? I have never, ever, ever heard of a PC getting messed up from clearing the PF folder, including the layout.ini (that windows auto regenerates)

Deleting Prefetch files decreases performance - period. There is no possible way it could improve it.

The only PF files worth deleting are the ones from programs you don't use any more, and from (un)installers.

Deleting Prefetch files decreases performance - period. There is no possible way it could improve it.

The only PF files worth deleting are the ones from programs you don't use any more, and from (un)installers.

I agree. It could degrade performance. But nothing to brag about. Not that much worse. Windows regenerates them anyway, so it is a very trivial matter. Of course, if you recently removed tons of malware or viruses from a machine, you may not want those to load either.

Or, maybe you do. I am not sure. But I don't. And I like a clean machine.

PF files won't load unless you use a program. A malware's PF file would simply be some kilobytes of wasted space, nothing more.