Spybot Search & Destroy or Microsoft Anti Spyware?

englishmen

For anti spyware protection i currently have SpywareBlaster, Ad-ware SE Personal & Spybot Search & Destroy and when i do my weekly scan for Spyware i also run a eWido Online scan. I would prefer not to have Microsoft Antispyware but in terms of protection if it does a better job then Sbybot then i guest i should but i was just wondering if you was to choose ONLY 1 which one you go for Spybot Search & Destroy or Microsoft Anti Spyware?

For anti spyware protection i currently have SpywareBlaster, Ad-ware SE Personal & Spybot Search & Destroy and when i do my weekly scan for Spyware i also run a eWido Online scan. I would prefer not to have Microsoft Antispyware but in terms of protection if it does a better job then Sbybot then i guest i should but i was just wondering if you was to choose ONLY 1 which one you go for Spybot Search & Destroy or Microsoft Anti Spyware?

Microsoft Anti-Spyware, picks up more spyware than Spybot and removes it quickly aswell

Hello-

My 2 cents worth (due mostly to inflation) is I use the same combo Tarun does and between all 3 hardly anything gets by and they're all easy to configure and use. I didn't use SpyBot that much but since V 1.4 came out it's becoming my favorite. It seems to catch a lot more stuff than previous versions.

The only thing that bugged me about MSAS was that CWS.msconfig sailed right past it pretending to be msconfig.exe.

Seems like with the constant onslaught of new spyware definitions comes ever increasing scan times. I did finally figure out that it helps to have CCleaner and a good firewall to reduce the need to scan so often. :o

• Moderators

Mike it sounds like you have been scanning your pc excessively since you got infected. I don't know what your surfing habits are but for me as long as I keep spyware blaster up to date and only use firefox I dont get spyware at all. When I do scan usually once every week or two I only find tracking cookies that I could have gotten rid of with CCleaner.

Also watch out for what you download and you should be all set. Thats just my take on it though but I hate watching spyware scanners all day.

Thanks for all you replies and info guys but i was asking if you was to only use 1 and only 1 regardless if it misses stuff the other one catches. What 1 would you use? I know they are both brilliant apps all tho Microsoft just bought another company and renamed it :angry: . But what do you think is the best overall app?

• Moderators
Thanks for all you replies and info guys but i was asking if you was to only use 1 and only 1 regardless if it misses stuff the other one catches. What 1 would you use?

Although I don't like MSAS because the GUI is slowish/sluggish, and it ties up my dial-up connection for some minutes I would have to go with it merely for its plethora of resident protection agents. If Microsoft is smart they'll turn MSAS into more than just an anti-spyware program and integrate anti-virus features, and a full featured firewall as well and make it a standard feature of Windows.

Although I don't like MSAS because the GUI is slowish/sluggish, and it ties up my dial-up connection for some minutes I would have to go with it merely for its plethora of resident protection agents. If Microsoft is smart they'll turn MSAS into more than just an anti-spyware program and integrate anti-virus features, and a full featured firewall as well and make it a standard feature of Windows.

Windows One Care.

Notice to non-USA residents.

At this time, participation in the Windows OneCare Live Beta is open to U.S. residents only.

Tarun, how do you find out about all this kind of stuff?

Is it from intensive searching?

Or are you a participant of something to do with MS?

Notice to non-USA residents.

At this time, participation in the Windows OneCare Live Beta is open to U.S. residents only.

Tarun, how do you find out about all this kind of stuff?

Is it from intensive searching?

Or are you a participant of something to do with MS?

I'm actually an MS Beta tester. Anyone can check around the web and find info though.

• Currently enrolled in:

• Data Protection Manager 2006 - A disk-based solution for data protection and recovery. More Info...

• Windows Server 2003 R2 - The core of this release is built on the Windows Server 2003 SP1 platform and adds optionally installable components that our customers have been asking for.

• Windows Driver Foundation - The Windows Driver Foundation is a new Windows driver model for both Kernel- and User-mode. It replaces the Windows Driver Framework program as it now includes a User-mode model as well and has subseq...

• Installer 6.2 - Beta test of Installer.exe v6.2. (New, better compression.)

• MSN Mobile - MSN Mobile Services

Thanks Tarun, however Windows One Cure isn't exactly what I had in mind since I do have the time and technical expertise to secure and manage my computer on a daily basis.

I know what you mean. I'm sure rridgely would agree that ewido is really nice. Seems to handle anti-spyware and anti-virus.

Tarun is Microsoft oneCare any good?

I applied to be a beta tester the other day, so my approval is pending.

• Moderators
I'm sure rridgely would agree that ewido is really nice.  Seems to handle anti-spyware and anti-virus.

I think ewido would probably be the solution, although it would need dedicated antivirus built-in as well as a firewall. Of course it would bloat the app, however I see it as being a prime candidate for such an evolution.

Welcome to the Windows OneCare? Live Beta!

Congratulations! Based on the nomination form you completed, you have been accepted into the select Windows OneCare beta testing program. Windows OneCare is an upcoming PC health service from Microsoft that helps protect and maintain your computer. We appreciate your participation in our beta program to help make a difference in the development of this new Microsoft product! Please read the beta user guidelines below, and then follow the beta participation instructions to learn how to install Windows OneCare on your home computer.

What?s included

At this time, Windows OneCare Beta includes antivirus and firewall protection, an automated PC tune-up, and backup and restore functionality. We will be adding additional features and functionality throughout the beta period. Please note that anti-spyware protection is not included in this first version of the beta, but is planned for inclusion at a later date.