Internet Explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit

Andavari

• Moderators

The help file says to run this to enable it, but it didn't work on my system:

IE80Blocker.cmd mycomputer /B

This did however work:

IE80Blocker.cmd /B

Subsequently just double-clicking IE80Blocker.cmd works too.

The help file says to run this to enable it, but it didn't work on my system:

IE80Blocker.cmd mycomputer /B

This did however work:

IE80Blocker.cmd /B

Subsequently just double-clicking IE80Blocker.cmd works too.

I'm using Vista and tried this command from the command prompt from the start menu and it did not work. Could you give detailed instructions on how to do this, so the dummy that I am can do it? :lol:

Thanks & have a good day,

Normandie

• Moderators
I'm using Vista and tried this command from the command prompt from the start menu and it did not work. Could you give detailed instructions on how to do this, so the dummy that I am can do it?

The included help file IE80BlockerHelp.htm has all the information in it that allows for verifying the patch works.

Let's say you extract the contents of the toolkit into C:\Temp these would be the instructions:

Here's how to use the IE8 Blocker Toolkit on standard desktop PCs:1. Run the package IE8BlockerToolkit.EXE and extract it into a folder such as:  C:\Temp2. Start a command prompt and copy+paste or type this command into it, then hit enter:  "C:\Temp\IE80Blocker.cmd" /B3. Check this registry location:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0  You should see a key with this value:  DoNotAllowIE804. Done!

...or if you don't want to mess around with the .CMD file you could use .REG files

Do Not Allow IE8: Save as "DoNotAllowIE8.reg"

REGEDIT4; Disables the installation offer of Internet Explorer 8 from; Automatic Updates, and the sites Windows Update and Microsoft Update.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0]"DoNotAllowIE80"=dword:00000001

To undo the disallowing and enable installation prompting:

Allow IE8: Save as "AllowIE8.reg"

REGEDIT4; Allows the installation of Internet Explorer 8 from Automatic Updates,; and the sites Windows Update and Microsoft Update.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0]"DoNotAllowIE80"=dword:00000000

The included help file IE80BlockerHelp.htm has all the information in it that allows for verifying the patch works.

Let's say you extract the contents of the toolkit into C:\Temp these would be the instructions:

Here's how to use the IE8 Blocker Toolkit on standard desktop PCs:1. Run the package IE8BlockerToolkit.EXE and extract it into a folder such as:  C:\Temp2. Start a command prompt and copy+paste or type this command into it, then hit enter:  "C:\Temp\IE80Blocker.cmd" /B3. Check this registry location:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0  You should see a key with this value:  DoNotAllowIE804. Done!

...or if you don't want to mess around with the .CMD file you could use .REG files

Do Not Allow IE8: Save as "DoNotAllowIE8.reg"

REGEDIT4; Disables the installation offer of Internet Explorer 8 from; Automatic Updates, and the sites Windows Update and Microsoft Update.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0]"DoNotAllowIE80"=dword:00000001

To undo the disallowing and enable installation prompting:

Allow IE8: Save as "AllowIE8.reg"

REGEDIT4; Allows the installation of Internet Explorer 8 from Automatic Updates,; and the sites Windows Update and Microsoft Update.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0]"DoNotAllowIE80"=dword:00000000

Andavari,

Thanks, the first method did not work for me at all, tried it several times and nothing. The second with the reg entries worked great.

Thanks again & have a grerat day,

Normandie

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
now it doesn't work,,it's mandatory.

I see after allowing the installation of IE8 that the Microsoft Update site finds it, and the Automatic Updates service automatically starts downloading it in the background.

The .REG file a few posts up I posted named DoNotAllowIE8.reg at least stops it from being offered on the Microsoft Update site, and Automatic Updates doesn't start automatically downloading it.