not enough space?

user4

When Defragler is set to move large files to the end of the disk, the defragmentation process stops at some point with an error message: not enough free space on the disk.

This happens with the C and the D drive. D has 122 GB of free space... :blink:

Hello, I have the same problem with the new Defraggler version 1.08.132 (message about free space with XP sp3, NTFS (AHCI mode)) :( . If I re-execute the previous version (1.07.124), there is not any free space problem message. :huh:

yup same here

using windows XP sp3 - defraggler 1.08.132

i wanted to defraggle my c drive which have the following stats: used 4.43GB free 5.4GB. It gives me an error message: ''not enough space" :blink:

so i downloaded ccleaner did a free space wipe on my c drive and tried defraggler again

same problem :unsure:

help ?

Same here as well.

Patches / Hotfixes: All of them + a bunch of Office 2003 ones.

Defraggler: v1.08.132

Volume: NTFS - I don't think compression is enabled on it.

I can also confirm that just defragmenting files does work. Just needed to defragment the drive before making an image of the system :)

Me too....

Win XP Pro 32 bit - Service Pack 2.

details here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21095

I'm sorry, I looked for a similar discussion before creating the new topic, but I found only a similar one (about disk space) but talking about spyware.... (and this is not the case: I have just formatted and reinstalled - never connected to the web without antispy, anti-rootkit, antivirus and firewall!).

ZeBoxx kindly suggested me to move here.

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I looked for a similar discussion before creating the new topic, but I found only a similar one (about disk space) but talking about spyware....

yeah searching forums (not just the Piriform ones) can be a mess sometimes when the search terms are difficult to narrow down :) Didn't find this thread at first either %)

We are looking into this

Awesome - thanks for the status update :)

When Defragler is set to move large files to the end of the disk, the defragmentation process stops at some point with an error message: not enough free space on the disk.

This happens with the C and the D drive. D has 122 GB of free space... :blink:

Same here, plenty of space and it said not enough space.

Same here, plenty of space and it said not enough space.

The problem is that Defraggler seems to try to defragment a file called $BadClus:$Bad which is an NTFS system file containing the drives bad sectors. I have a drive without bad sectors (check with chkdsk x: where x: is the driver letter). Most disk are free of bad sectors, at least as seen from windows. Defraggler claims the file is as big as the drive is. So the file does not fit on the drive with all the other files. Maybe a bug triggerd when the number of bad sectors is zero?

The file does not show up in the file list. I found the file on the drive map, when you click on a square a tab Highlighted is openend containing the file using that part of the disk. I clicked on a large file and saw this special file with its very big size.

There are other reports mentioning this file, how ever I saw in this thread it was not yet connected to this problem, I think its the cause of the problem. So it needs to be fixed. In the mean time you could select all files and defrag only the selected files.

I only hope Defraggler did not make a mess of my disk by creating a faulty $BadClus:$Bad file during the defrag attempt...

Addition: the $BadClus:$Bad file also shows up when clicking on an unused area since it spawns the whole disk...

To quote myself:

I only hope Defraggler did not make a mess of my disk by creating a faulty $BadClus:$Bad file during the defrag attempt...

I'm sorry to report that there is a problem now, the master file table (MFT) is way to big now. It looks like I have to take all the files off, reformat the drive and put them back on to get it correct again. (Unless the new Defraggler also makes the MFT smaller, but I guess not...).

Bummer...

• 2 weeks later...
We have fixed an issue related to calculation of free space and this will be included in the next release :)

MrRon

FYI, I received the error under 1.09 this afternoon. When I unchecked the "Move large files to end of drive" box, the defrag completed successfully.

Coppertrail, can you run in /debug mode with Move large files enabled and PM me with the log

Thanks

MrRon

I will do that during my next defrag on that machine. I'm fine running Defraggler without that option, but wanted to let you know as you'd mentioned that it would be fixed in the next release.

• 1 month later...