Dell desktop beeps on startup

Augeas

• Moderators

A friend's new Dell desktop (don't know the id at the moment) beeps once on startup. If it has any usb device plugged in, mouse, keyboard, etc it beeps once for those as well, so it beeps 3 or more times on startup. My older Dell doesn't beep at all.

He has had Dell around to look at it and it has been back to Dell who said nowt wrong with it, but still it beeps. Any clues? Please don't say smash the tiny speaker.

Beeps might indicate Bios error codes. I do have an old GX150 here but that does not do this. It does beep if you press F12 to tell it you want to go to the boot menu rather than let it go through the default ordering.

Does this Dell your friend have, have the four small lights on the back (to indicate status) ? , these will be amber during post etc, but should all be green by the time the OS is loading.

Get them to look in the Bios for the Halt On Errors setting and set it to halt on any error, if it is a Bios issue of some kind, this may give a message as to the cause, might even be something silly like the boot order etc.

Not sure what else to suggest without specifics / more details :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey, can someone plz help me, when i put on my computer i hear at least eight beeps, the monitor does not come on but the computer is, i've been told its either a ram or graphics card problem, but how can i tell which is it?? or is that the real problem..... i need a response asap cas i have important stuff on it.....

your help wud be greatly appreciated

hey, can someone plz help me, when i put on my computer i hear at least eight beeps, the monitor does not come on but the computer is, i've been told its either a ram or graphics card problem, but how can i tell which is it?? or is that the real problem..... i need a response asap cas i have important stuff on it.....

your help wud be greatly appreciated

Here is a list of the beep codes

http://www.nullamatix.com/dell-diagnostic-...shooting-chart/

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• 4 weeks later...