212eta

Since CCleaner has a Registry Cleaner,

it would be nice to have a Tool

for Registry Deftagmentation.

In that case, CCleaner would offer a

-Complete- Registry Maintenance.

The most effective Registry Cleaners have a Tool

for Registry Deftagmentation.

Wouldn't it be nice if CCleaner had one, too?

-Don't you believe that Registry Defragmentation is important?

Many experts argue that is more important than Registry Cleaning!

-Can a Tool for Registry Defragmentation be added to CCleaner?

-Is it possible?

From what I understand (and I am not really an expert so don't bash me if I get something wrong here),

Registry "Defragmenting" otherwise known as Registry "Compacting" differs a lot from traditional Registry Cleaning.

In registry cleaning, unneeded or unwanted registry entries are removed, this leaves "gaps" in the registry so that the computer does not have to re-write most of, or all of the registry back to the disk without that space. Similarly, when values are written to the registry where there is no blank area, they are appended to the end, resulting in the "fragmentation" of information.

When defragmenting or compacting the registry, these spaces are removed and entries placed in their proper locations. This can result in both a decrease in space used by the registry, and a performance increase for registry operations.

I cannot give an estimate for the performance gain, but I can for the for the lessening of space used by the registry. On my computer, I reduced the size of the registry by 7% by compacting my registry. (I used 3 tools in verifying this because I was skeptical)

To me, this seems like a useful and reasonable addition to CCleaner.

• 4 weeks later...
From what I understand (and I am not really an expert so don't bash me if I get something wrong here),

Registry "Defragmenting" otherwise known as Registry "Compacting" differs a lot from traditional Registry Cleaning.

In registry cleaning, unneeded or unwanted registry entries are removed, this leaves "gaps" in the registry so that the computer does not have to re-write most of, or all of the registry back to the disk without that space. Similarly, when values are written to the registry where there is no blank area, they are appended to the end, resulting in the "fragmentation" of information.

When defragmenting or compacting the registry, these spaces are removed and entries placed in their proper locations. This can result in both a decrease in space used by the registry, and a performance increase for registry operations.

I cannot give an estimate for the performance gain, but I can for the for the lessening of space used by the registry. On my computer, I reduced the size of the registry by 7% by compacting my registry. (I used 3 tools in verifying this because I was skeptical)

To me, this seems like a useful and reasonable addition to CCleaner.

Registry Defragmentation or Registry Compact or Registry Compression

all refer to Reducing the Registry Size without Removing Data; just empty space.

As a result less RAM and less Hard Disk space is required to store the Registry

of the system.

Registry Cleaning may help or not a System.

BUT

Registry Defragmentation or Registry Compact or Registry Compression

will Definitely speed up Performance.

Every Reliable Registry Cleaner has a Tool for

Registry Defragmentation or Registry Compact or Registry Compression.

-Why CCleaner shouldn't have it?

Sounds like a good idea :) , in the mean time there are other free registry defraggers.

We all want CCleaner to have the most useful Tools.

-Wipe Free Space was a nice addition.

Let's hope that other useful Tools will follow...

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea compacting your registry is far more impacting then just cleaning it if ccleaner could do this it would be even better also i think they should increase there registry search build because if i bought a $100 registry cleaner it would find far more issues then ccleaner so hopefully they come up with more things to do then just memory cleaner and registry clean :)

• Moderators

Developers PLZ don't do what you did with Wipe free space and bow to the pressure of "defrag" requests. we've all seen the pains WFS has caused many users, we've seen the pains the gentle reg cleaner has caused many many (mis)users

plz for the love of dog (my dog of course :D ) don't add this feature keep ccleaner a crap cleaner simple

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Developers PLZ don't do what you did with Wipe free space and bow to the pressure of "defrag" requests. we've all seen the pains WFS has caused many users, we've seen the pains the gentle reg cleaner has caused many many (mis)users

plz for the love of dog (my dog of course :D ) don't add this feature keep ccleaner a crap cleaner simple

Following your 'Spirit', lets "improve" CCleaner even further by Removing its

-Registry Cleaner

-Wipe Free Space

-System Restore

just because some users misused these features.

Now, there are some users who misused the 'Startup' and 'Uninstall' Tools, too.

-Why don't we Remove these Tools in addition?

Let's Strip CCleaner Down even further (instead of adding/improving features).

Nice way of "Thinking"...

What's next?

-Degrading CCleaner to an ATF Cleaner-like Tool?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I vote with Nergal and ishan_rulz.

I prefer CCleaner as a safe utility that errs on the side of caution.

If anyone wants more thorough cleaning, use a different cleaner.

You can get more aggressive (dangerous) cleaner for FREE.

You do not have to spend $100 to remove more junk.

Just $19 will give you death by a thousand cuts - or you could have got it for free on 11 August at

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/2009/08/11/

Every day I visit www.giveawayoftheday.com to see the "special for today".

If I think it might be useful I visit in the morning ready to download and install etc etc.

If it is is another file / registry cleaner I visit in the evening to see how many people have managed to get back on line after re-installing Windows following a disaster caused by "today's free bargain".

I have suffered daily BSODS all the way from DOS 3.? through to Windows 98.

XP is a lot better.

I do not know if it is better at being error free, or better at concealing its errors to reduce Help Desk work load ! !

I always expect a BSOD.

I am able to HOPE a simple file deletion or registry key deletion that is interrupted by a BSOD or power failure will either cleanly accomplish its task, or cleanly do no damage at all, and a normal reboot will follow.

I have no such hope for any defragmentation that involves moving stuff around.

I would fear that a BSOD might interrupt in mid-shuffle, and there might be no reboot if vital items are not in the expected places.

When I see the defraggler forum I hear a voice - "Beware all ye who enter here" ! !

I admire those adventurous spirits. They may appreciate a registry defragmenter.

I use ERUNT which makes a registry backup each morning.

When I wish to remove "empty space" in the registry I will use NTREGOPT,

BUT only immediately after a clean reboot and a fresh registry backup so that if a BSOD trashes the registry I can immediately restore from the ERUNT backup.

Alan

• 2 months later...
I vote with Nergal and ishan_rulz.

I prefer CCleaner as a safe utility that errs on the side of caution.

If anyone wants more thorough cleaning, use a different cleaner.

You can get more aggressive (dangerous) cleaner for FREE.

You do not have to spend $100 to remove more junk.

Just $19 will give you death by a thousand cuts - or you could have got it for free on 11 August at

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/2009/08/11/

Every day I visit www.giveawayoftheday.com to see the "special for today".

If I think it might be useful I visit in the morning ready to download and install etc etc.

If it is is another file / registry cleaner I visit in the evening to see how many people have managed to get back on line after re-installing Windows following a disaster caused by "today's free bargain".

I have suffered daily BSODS all the way from DOS 3.? through to Windows 98.

XP is a lot better.

I do not know if it is better at being error free, or better at concealing its errors to reduce Help Desk work load ! !

I always expect a BSOD.

I am able to HOPE a simple file deletion or registry key deletion that is interrupted by a BSOD or power failure will either cleanly accomplish its task, or cleanly do no damage at all, and a normal reboot will follow.

I have no such hope for any defragmentation that involves moving stuff around.

I would fear that a BSOD might interrupt in mid-shuffle, and there might be no reboot if vital items are not in the expected places.

When I see the defraggler forum I hear a voice - "Beware all ye who enter here" ! !

I admire those adventurous spirits. They may appreciate a registry defragmenter.

I use ERUNT which makes a registry backup each morning.

When I wish to remove "empty space" in the registry I will use NTREGOPT,

BUT only immediately after a clean reboot and a fresh registry backup so that if a BSOD trashes the registry I can immediately restore from the ERUNT backup.

Alan

Mr. Alan_B,

You are -ALWAYS- Negative to New Ideas!

You acted with exactly the same way

when users proposed a Context/Shell Option for a File Shredder/Eraser!

A Registry Defragmentation Tool can be OPTIONAL (like the Wipe Free Space).

If you don't want it, you canNot select the relevant box with a Check-Mark.

There are users who are Not satisfied with NTREGOPT.

In my system, NTREGOPT has been very problematic!

Besises, I'd like a -FREE- Single Tool to do ALL these:

a) Clean my Junk Files.

B) Clean my Registry.

c) Defrag my Registry.

d) Erase Files/Folders & Wipe Free Space.

e) Defrag my Hard Disks.

It would be even better this Tool to give users

the Option to Activate the Features they want/need.

Frankly, I don't understand the tendency/attitude of some members:

Whenever someone makes a Suggestion, they attack it

as if they do NOT want CCleaner to be FURTHER Developed!!!

Frankly, I don't understand the tendency/attitude of some members:

Whenever someone makes a Suggestion, they attack it

as if they do NOT want CCleaner to be FURTHER Developed!!!

I dont think alan is being negative. He is very much like me in looking at the dangers in new ideas. CCleaner has probably the best reputation on the web for being the safest cleaner.

I think it's more to do with looking out for other people with less experience then attackting the idea as you suggested.

The amount of people i have come across with a pc optimizer or system maintenance tool that just simple go threw every available option clicking fix/scan/delete never cease to amaze me, and not for any wrong doing on there own behalf, they just do it because the option is there, so it must be safe to do so right?

CCleaner is a fantastic yet safe as safe can be when cleaning is concerned. I'm all for keeping it that way.

sam

No fate but what we make

It's utterly pointles. The only thing that would improve is boot time by defragging the registry file which isn't registry defragging per se, as in you're not defragging the registry, you are defragging the file that the registry gets saved into.

It will only improve boot/startup time, it will not improve standard system performance.

But this is getting off track.

No fate but what we make

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing that would improve is boot time by defragging the registry file which isn't registry defragging per se, as in you're not defragging the registry, you are defragging the file that the registry gets saved into.

It will only improve boot/startup time, it will not improve standard system performance.

Even if that "Only" happens (i.e. Boot/StartUp-Time Improvement),

users can gain something from Registry Defragmentation.

-BUT-

This is Not the Entire Issue:

A Fragmented Registry (i.e. a Registry Full of Gaps)

can Definitely Reduce System Performance!