Strange image in Firefox 3

Andavari

• Moderators

I don't get it on my firefox, but I have seen them before. Like he said, with some jap sites. You might want to do a complete uninstall, delete profile/everything, and do a full install on it.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators
I don't get it on my firefox, but I have seen them before. Like he said, with some jap sites. You might want to do a complete uninstall, delete profile/everything, and do a full install on it.

This is a clean install of Firefox. :P It isn't just my computer I've seen this on the laptop my mom has.

Sandboxed in Opera....nothing. Could it be a java thing?

I don't have Sun Java RunTime SE installed, also Java has always been disabled in my Firefox installations. It's not a JavaScript issue either, since disabling it produces the same funny looking images on the IE7Pro website.

• Moderators

Haven't changed anything from the default options in Firefox's lang/regional coding or character encoding hence there's no reason to since I'm using the U.S. English version.

It's not really much of an issue, I just wondered what they were since numerous websites have them and I didn't know what they were.

Hi, I think what they are is 3D barcode images. These are images very much like the ones on the forum.

They hold information.My phone has a barcode reader which, when you copy the image, stores the information.

It saves you having to remember web addresses etc. Well I hope I'm right they look very similar. I know I

haven't explained things very well but if you google 3D barcodes its all there.

Hope this solves the mystery. Steve aka 5teveuk.

• Moderators
If you look at FF's settings in about:config you will see those sort of characters here and there.

There was one setting "network.IDN.blacklist_chars" that I googled.

Still not sure what it all means atm. :mellow:

MozillaZine Article

Unicode Character

Thank you Humpty! Now I finally know what those are.