CCleaner fails to initialize - ...page fault in module Kernel32.dll

rr1165

CCleaner fails to initialize - If I keep clicking close the following responses appear in the order outlined:

1. Unknown Exception
  2. The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access
  3. CCLEANER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff87ed3

This just started on my Win98SE machine after years of successful use of CC - Of course it continues to work fine on my XP Pro machine.

Thoughts....

P.S. ...played around with this further and found that placing "run CCleaner" in the Recycle Bin dialog box worked - nothing was visible, but the IE Temp files, etc. were emptied - AND - the install would not place the Yahoo toolbar with CCleaner into IE6.

3/7/09 - Since no one had any thought's - here is the resolution.

So not to become one of the "blind leading the blind" I am providing the following caveat: This solution worked for me using the Win98SE OS.

An apparent application that I "loaded" / "unloaded" changed the MSIMG32.DLL ver. 5.00.1693.1 to ver. 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205). When I reinstalled ver 5.00.1693.1, CCleaner once again worked perfectly. There is a lot more detail as to the "how" I discovered this, but with the solution the "how" becomes irrelevant.