problem after defragging

dianev

i dont know. theres plenty of fragmented files after the analysis showing in red and in the analysis results but it still keeps saying no files are defragged after its all done. "defrag complete, no files were defragmented"

that happens after defragging the drive or even individual files.

dianev, what is the operating system and Service Pack level installed?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

im not sure what ur asking. but when i click on the red blocks it just highlights a bunch of files. some paths are system volume information, windows and recycle bin. i cant name them all. anyway how does that help?

It helps because certain system files cannot be defragged while the system is running. For example: pagefile.sys, the MFT, C:\System Volume\, etc... You would need a commercial Disk defragmenter to do a boot time defragmentation of the volume(s) in order to defrag these files.

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

It helps because certain system files cannot be defragged while the system is running. For example: pagefile.sys, the MFT, C:\System Volume\, etc... You would need a commercial Disk defragmenter to do a boot time defragmentation of the volume(s) in order to defrag these files.

Keith

i really like this program and would prefer not to get another defragmenter. u mention that "certain system files cant be defragged while the system is running." would u consider an option for a boot time defrag in an upgrade in the near future?

YoKenny Posted Today, 01:42 AM

dianev, what is the operating system and Service Pack level installed?

i have vista home premium edition with sp1

I am not a developer but I would sure love to see a boot time defrag option in the near future. I use Defraggler exclusively as well with the built-in Windows defragmenter. Occassionally I'll use JKDefrag, but it's very rare. Just recently, I had to download a trial version of Diskeeper in order to defrag the pagefile and system files on my Vista laptop.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Hi

To defrag the page file and other system files I recommend the use of PageDefrag.

It is from microsoft, it requires no installation, it's only 70KB, and it's free. ;)

Find it here.

metalj,

PageDefrag does not support Windows Vista.

Keith

link1.gif

lot of the fragmented files are from the system volume information or c:\windows paths. not all but most. so how come even the non-system files like from c:\program files files, personal folders, and c:\user paths not defragged? instead of saying SOME were not defragged it says NO files were defragged? :huh:

I tried defragging a file from a folder I personally created on the C drive. the defragging was completed but it still said "no files were defragged" if its not even defragging this insignificant non-system file what is it doing?