Disk Map and other suggestions

ady4um

I have several suggestions for Defraggler and its forum.

For the forum, the pinned "suggestions" topic is too big for users to read, so the same suggestions are presented again and again. Just one example would be to display the disk map. BTW, actually users can just display the map once and leave it at that status while returning to the main window. (So please, all those users who keep requesting this, take note) :)

Moreover, all kind of suggestions in one very big topic means there is no real discussion about each suggestion.

So, my first suggestion would be to open a new Forum Category (as with Ccleaner and Recuva): Defraggler Suggestions. It might be useful also to "unpin" the current big Defraggler Suggestions" topic.

About Defraggler itself, I would like to suggest some improvements regarding the Disk Map.

I think the most important advantage of Defraggler is that the user can defrag specific files or areas and quickly, as opposed of taking resources and time to defrag and optimize the whole disk.

The disk map is useful for the user to decide if it's time to defrag the whole partition, and I can think about some other uses. In any case, disks are always growing and growing, so each (disk map) block shown will "concentrate" in time more and more files when upgrading to bigger disks (and fragments, clusters, disk sectors...). This is, in a way, a problem, because depending on this clusters "density" (clusters per map block), the user "reads" the map differently. Currently, you can see this density change and the visual effect when moving the map's limits up and down. While changing its size, the map shows blocks changing colors.

So, since disks are always growing, it is essential (IMO) to add some kind of "zoom" method and a Scroll Bar to the disk map. One option to resolve this "zoom" is actually a numeric "density". The user could set this number as, for example, X KiB per (map) block, or even better, maybe it could be X ?clusters? per (map) block.

The last one, "clusters per block", is more general, since each partition could be formated with different cluster sizes, so setting this density as KiB per block could require from the user to set it differently for each partition. Setting "number of clusters per block" doesn't require from the user to change this set for each partition.

The limits for this density are between 1 cluster per map block, and the current "automatic" density when the map is displayed as one and only one row. Setting this option to ?automatic? (instead of a number bigger than 1) would take the map's display to its current behavior, when there is no scroll bar and moving its limits automatically changes its ?cluster per map block? density.

For users not interested in showing the disk map but only the fragmented files' list, there should be an option for displaying or hiding the map. I suppose hiding the map could help Defraggler to run quicker and with less resources, so this is a very important option to add, specially for those with older systems and after adding the suggested "cluster per map block density" zoom to the map.

I hope I was clear enough, and I would like if the devs and other users could comment about my suggestions. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance.