Remember line split

DeltaLima

With each new version I wish Defraggler will now remember where I place the plit line and it never happen. Is this a feature you can add please? I'm tired to always bring the split line at the bottom where I can see a lot more little blocks.

If it's not clear, let me know, I'll post a picture.

Thanks

• Moderators

I'm sure Defraggler already does that.

I've just stretched my copy from the top of the screen to the bottom to make an extra large "block" area, and it retains that setting after reinstalling new versions. I've just tried it a few times.

Are you uninstalling the old version before you install the new one? It isn't necessary, and may be the cause of your loss of settings.

I tried that as well, and although Defraggler retained it's overall new stretched dimensions, the "split" line, as you call it, wasn't retained.

Hope that helps.

I tried again... When it starts, this is the screen layout :

23175111uu1.png

Then I lower the split line to this level :

50327489uu8.png

When I close Defraggler and reopen it, I get the 1st image at the top. I even tried with adding a checkmark to Save all settings to .INI file but does not work.

This with XP SP3 clean install 2 weeks ago but was the same with SP2.

• Moderators

That's strange. I forgot all about stretching mine the other day, but it's retained the larger info area.

The only thing I can think of which may be different between yours and mine, is do you have Defraggler maximised to full screen?

It appears from your screenshots that your info area may be too large for the actual info being displayed in that area. It doesn't need to be that large. I don't have mine maximised, just stretched vertically, and the extra visible area is all being used.

t711_Defragglersplit.jpg

You'll gather that I'm grasping at straws here as I've no idea why yours doesn't retain the new dimensions, but it may be worthwhile seeing if being maximised and stretched to a size larger than Defraggler can fill might be the problem.

Defraggler may snap back to a non visible setting, the maximum size it can fill with blocks, and you may need to find that "sweet spot".

That's all I've got at the moment, but I'll post again if I come up with anything else.

• Moderators

Nope, I'm just another volunteer like the other members on here, but the developers do read these posts, and if they have an explanation I'm sure they'll pass it on to you.

I can't replicate the problem at all. I'm using XP with SP3, and the latest Defraggler, so they may have the same trouble pinpointing why it happens for some but not others.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Are you using Piriform CCleaner at all, or any other temp files cleaner? If so, you may be wiping out the saved size and position of Defragglers window.

In CCleaner, it's the "Window Size/Location cache" checkbox in the "Windows\Advanced" section. Any cleaning program will probably be doing the same.

Also, in "Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\View", do you have the "Remember Each Folders View Settings" box checked?

Just a thought.

I can confirm what Delta is referring to.

On my work computer (specs are in my signature), Defraggler v 1.08.132 does not remember where I put the split on the drive block chart after closing and reopening the program. My settings are to "Save all settings to INI file" and I run CCleaner once a week on Friday.

Hope this helps your cause Delta and the developers.

swagger

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators
Yeah, tanks for your voice. I'm sure I'm not alone but it's pretty quiet over here so...

You're not alone squire, which is why I came back to your thread. I can still stretch Defraggler to any shape or size, and it retains the information. I've been trying to think what the difference could be between my install and yours.

Here's a screenshot of Defraggler with the "line" pulled as far down as it can go. I've opened and closed it, and rebooted numerous times, and it stays that way. I've shown the screenshot to also show that I do not save settings to an ini file.

t818_20090326225020.jpg

The suggestions I made were just outside possibilities, but they hadn't been brought up so far in this thread, which is why I asked them. It's worth checking everything.

You didn't mention if you'd looked at the other possibility I suggested.

Also, in "Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\View", do you have the "Remember Each Folders View Settings" box checked?

I'm sure the developing team will have seen these posts, and will need all the information they can get to find the why of this for a future release.

When Defraggler does what it does for me with XP SP3, but not for you and others, it isn't easy pinpointing why.

I did some more testing on my desktop at home.... It seems Defraggler remembers height positions smaller than the default for the block chart but it refuses to remember what I set if it's larger than the default height.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Like kmillerusaf, I've done more testing...

It seems that the problem is with the block chart. There seems to be a max size hardencoded so if you exceed this limit, next time you run it, it will show up with the hardcoded maximum size. Because I was able to get the position saved but only when resizing down.

Can they (programmers) tell us if they will be able to remove the maximum size? My display is 1600x1200 and I want to maximize the block chart area because I don't like when a block may contain 1332 files. 1 block - 1 file would be the best but cannot be done unless they add the possibility 1 pixel = 1 file, that would be awesome. Like someone suggested, they should add an option to specify block size we would like in pixels square. It that was to happen I will for sure set it to 1 pixel.

• Moderators

You'll be interested to hear I've hit a limit with how wide I can make the defrag area. It's so ludicrously stretched I would never have gone as far in normal use:

Maximum stretch on my 4:3 screen, and what it snaps back to:

t821_Defraggler1.jpg t822_Defraggler2.jpg

Hope this helps with a future version.

• 3 weeks later...