any good imaging software?

JohnDemolition

• Moderators

I think most manufacturers usually provide a utility to create a restore dvd don't they?

You could probably try true image or ghost to see if they can do it but I'm pretty sure you can just create a restore dvd. Should be somewhere in the start menu under you pc makers folders.

• Moderators

There's these open source tools, although they seem more geared for network based backups and I have never personally tried them myself:

G4U: http://www.osalt.com/g4u

Bacula: http://www.osalt.com/bacula

Then there's Partition Image, if you use any Linux distro that can backup Windows filesystems too (notice the link on the page for SystemRescueCd):

http://www.osalt.com/partition-image

You could try Paragons free backup that can back the first track, mbr, single partitions or the entire drive.

Only thing with the free edition is you can only boot from a cd or usb which the app creates for you for a restore but seems to work fine.

Paragon

There's also a free version of Acronis True Image 10 Personal Edition around, dunno how long for though?

True Image

I think most manufacturers usually provide a utility to create a restore dvd don't they?

You could probably try true image or ghost to see if they can do it but I'm pretty sure you can just create a restore dvd. Should be somewhere in the start menu under you pc makers folders.

Norton Ghost pretty good, you can not only save image to another partition but save it in as bootable CD/DVD (command: -boot) or something like that. User friendly interface. Don't forget to create the rescue disks..in case.

marconova

You could try Paragons free backup that can back the first track, mbr, single partitions or the entire drive.

Only thing with the free edition is you can only boot from a cd or usb which the app creates for you for a restore but seems to work fine.

Paragon

Think I may have been wrong on the assertion above with the free version being able to do a restore from within windows? :huh:

• Moderators
Think I may have been wrong on the assertion above with the free version being able to do a restore from within windows? :huh:

With the free version, the Rescue Boot CD doesn't work. Or it didn't last time I tried it, which isn't too long ago.

Macrium works fine.

• Moderators

See if you can get the programs that came with your pc back onto it through their website.

I think its worth pursuing it just to make sure you have a solid way of getting a fresh install if ever needed.

If worse comes to worse, you can probably get them to send you the disc for a few bucks.

With the free version, the Rescue Boot CD doesn't work. Or it didn't last time I tried it, which isn't too long ago.

Macrium works fine.

Tried the Paragon rescue disk here and it worked fine.

Trying the restore from the gui didn't work on this dual boot XP/Vista hard drive.It did reboot for a restore but didn't or couldn't carry it out. :unsure:

Haven't tried a restore on one of my single boot drives as yet.

Still have a the old backups in place in Ghost Images where I boot from a Fred Flinstone floppy drive to backup and or restore as well. :blink:

• Moderators
Tried the Paragon rescue disk here and it worked fine.

Trying the restore from the gui didn't work on this dual boot XP/Vista hard drive.It did reboot for a restore but didn't or couldn't carry it out. :unsure:

Haven't tried a restore on one of my single boot drives as yet.

Still have a the old backups in place in Ghost Images where I boot from a Fred Flinstone floppy drive to backup and or restore as well. :blink:

This is one case where I'm happy to be wrong. There were a few people on here having the boot CD hang, and I found the same problem pretty wide spread at the time on other forums. This was the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8, which was a free offer on the ComputerActive site quite some time ago.