Registry cleanning

Eli

Hi

Why is it that if I clean the registry with Ccleaner, I`ll still find a lot more issues with other cleaners?

Isn`t it suppose to be more like an exact science? if it is wrong it is wrong, and if it is right it is right.

I cannot understand how an issue can be disregarded or how can a program produce an issue that does not really exist. I`ll appreciate some light shedding on this matter.

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

• Moderators

I would say it's far from an exact science Eli.

The registry is full of interdependent links and associations, and to remain safe a Registry CCleaner has to know how far to drill down into it without breaking any of those links.

It's also a place fairly unique to an individuals computer. We all have different programs installed, and different settings to the same programs, so it would be impossible to have a Registry Cleaner that caters for all those variations.

The discrepencies arise when Registry Cleaner "X", goes far deeper into this complex web than Registry Cleaner "Y", and starts breaking things.

CCleaner, in my experience, is a Registry CCleaner that knows when to stop. That being said, the Registry is such a complex place, you should always make a backup before running any cleaner, including CCleaner.

That's my take on it anyway.

I would say it's far from an exact science Eli.

The registry is full of interdependent links and associations, and to remain safe a Registry CCleaner has to know how far to drill down into it without breaking any of those links.

It's also a place fairly unique to an individuals computer. We all have different programs installed, and different settings to the same programs, so it would be impossible to have a Registry Cleaner that caters for all those variations.

The discrepencies arise when Registry Cleaner "X", goes far deeper into this complex web than Registry Cleaner "Y", and starts breaking things.

CCleaner, in my experience, is a Registry CCleaner that knows when to stop. That being said, the Registry is such a complex place, you should always make a backup before running any cleaner, including CCleaner.

That's my take on it anyway.

Thank you for your reply Dennis . Your answer brings me to another question related to other product you are probably familiar with: Revo Uninstaller. In the advanced level ,it goes to all related registry keys that belong to the program you want to delete. Would you say that this is safe enough, for there is not much of a variation here? Is there room for discrepancies here too when dealing with one specific program you want to delete?

• Moderators

I use Revo exclusively now, and I've never had a problem after uninstalling a program with it.

That being said, I'm still careful about how I use it. If uninstalling a simple third party application, then it's usually safe to remove all Revo finds.

If uninstalling a program which could have entries common to other programs, then you have to be pretty diligent, and go through them all carefully, and if unsure, leave well alone, or uninstall with that programs uninstaller only.

In my personal experience, this type of program is usually fairly obvious. Microsoft software for example, or iTunes and Quicktime live hand in hand, or different programs belonging to Adobe or Ashampoo, usually residing in the same common Program Files Folder, could have common entries.

There are of course different depths of scan with Revo, and you can configure it to make a System Restore Point automatically before it does it's thing. That option, I would strongly recommend if you don't have the registry backed up with something like ERUNT.

And if you're not sure enough to trust it, then opt for the "Install Tracker" method. Either of the following applications are effective as well.

ZSoft Uninstaller:

Total Uninstall: (Last freeware version)

With Total Uninstall, use the "Download" button, and not the "Home" one.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Added ERUNT link.

I use Revo exclusively now, and I've never had a problem after uninstalling a program with it.

That being said, I'm still careful about how I use it. If uninstalling a simple third party application, then it's usually safe to remove all Revo finds.

If uninstalling a program which could have entries common to other programs, then you have to be pretty diligent, and go through them all carefully, and if unsure, leave well alone, or uninstall with that programs uninstaller only.

In my personal experience, this type of program is usually fairly obvious. Microsoft software for example, or iTunes and Quicktime live hand in hand, or different programs belonging to Adobe or Ashampoo, usually residing in the same common Program Files Folder, could have common entries.

There are of course different depths of scan with Revo, and you can configure it to make a System Restore Point automatically before it does it's thing. That option, I would strongly recommend if you don't have the registry backed up with something like ERUNT.

What do you mean when you say

And if you're not sure enough to trust it, then opt for the "Install Tracker" method. Either of the following applications are effective as well.

ZSoft Uninstaller:

Total Uninstall: (Last freeware version)

With Total Uninstall, use the "Download" button, and not the "Home" one.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Added ERUNT link.

What do you mean when you say a simple third party application? An application that I can be positively sure that does not have any common files with other programs? if yes, is it possible to know that in advance?

I`m pretty much satisfied with Revo uninstaller, I`m using Erunt and I have the system restore activated ...just in case...better be safe than sorry .

Thank you for the links and for your patience...

• Moderators

No worries Eli, what I mean is if you check each and every "after uninstall" scan, the reg tree displayed usually points to entries carrying the name of the program you're removing.

If there's branches in that tree leading to entries you can't make sense of, or carrying a name which could belong to more than one program, such as Adobe or Ashampoo, then leave them alone.

So far, to be honest, I've only ever had to back off one uninstall, and that was the infamous iTunes/QuickTime partnership. I'm sure if I'd uninstalled iTunes with Revo, I would have screwed something up in QuickTime, which would have meant reinstalling them both.

I'm not trying to make Revo sound scary, just making sure that it's always treated with care.

Now, spookily enough, I've just uninstalled Windows Blinds with Revo, and it completely missed a 200mb+ folder in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" folder. A strange place to store all the WB theme folders, but there it was.

I think it pays to have an open mind about the virtues of these uninstalling apps, and this big miss by Revo has made me think.

• Moderators
I think it pays to have an open mind about the virtues of these uninstalling apps, and this big miss by Revo has made me think.

Even an install watcher can miss things, but only if it wasn't tracked during installation.

Does Revo still have that really small window for the items being removed? I remember that was something I never liked about it, especially when dealing with a ton of stuff to be removed.

In my opinion using Zsoft Uninstaller or Total Uninstall (Last Freeware Version) are still a more secure way of removing an installation as in getting rid of most of it with maybe only leaving a few small bits behind that couldn't be tracked.

Just loaded up Revo for the first time today at work... Heard of it and figured it might be useful so I threw the portable version on my work thumb drive with all my goodies. I was pretty impressed. Impressed enough to put it on my machines at home!

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

No worries Eli, what I mean is if you check each and every "after uninstall" scan, the reg tree displayed usually points to entries carrying the name of the program you're removing.

If there's branches in that tree leading to entries you can't make sense of, or carrying a name which could belong to more than one program, such as Adobe or Ashampoo, then leave them alone.

So far, to be honest, I've only ever had to back off one uninstall, and that was the infamous iTunes/QuickTime partnership. I'm sure if I'd uninstalled iTunes with Revo, I would have screwed something up in QuickTime, which would have meant reinstalling them both.

I'm not trying to make Revo sound scary, just making sure that it's always treated with care.

Now, spookily enough, I've just uninstalled Windows Blinds with Revo, and it completely missed a 200mb+ folder in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" folder. A strange place to store all the WB theme folders, but there it was.

Thanks for the input Dennis.