WMP 11 cancelling the download of subscription rights

rridgely

• Moderators

So I was cleaning up one of my computers(reformat/update/added all files).

So I put all my music(all in mp3) into WMP11 and when I closed it I got a box saying:

"WMP 11 cancelling the download of subscription rights", I have no DRM music on this machine. I'm not sure what it could have been doing, I'm just curious if anyone else has had this happen.

• Moderators

I don't know what that means since I rarely if ever use WMP, version 10 at that. It makes no sense to have any DRM prompting since as you've stated none of your music is DRM'd.

You could always upgrade to Foobar2000, use open formats like FLAC, OGG, etc., and leave WMA in the dust. ;)

What about xp-AntiSpy?

What is the xp-AntiSpy

http://www.xp-antispy.org/index.php/lang-en/ueber

It is available in German as the author is German.

It permits you to disable several XP tracking items.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

None of my stuff has drm on it though, they are all mp3s. I ripped them to WMA lossless and then converted those into mp3 with foobar/lame. Idk, I guess I'll start doing the lossess part with something else.

I'm actually a little pissed about this. I don't like the idea of it needing "rights" to play my own mp3s. These were all CDs that I bought and ripped myself.

• Moderators
I found that if I set my CD player to Analog instead of Digital I have no problems with WMP.

Your not as clever(and no where near as funny) as you seem to think you are.

Making off hand comments can be entertaining sometimes but doing it a few times a week is just annoying.

Making off hand comments can be entertaining sometimes but doing it a few times a week is just annoying.

I actually didn't even get it............

BEGIN RANT.....Anyhow.....I am not a fan of DRM. In Canada they are working towards a law that actually restricts your ability to copy your purchased music to more then a few music players, and will also make it illegal to remove DRM from purchased items to play them in different media format. So for instance, if I purchase a CD and rip it, change the file to an Ipod, I would be guilty of a) removing the drm and converting it...and B) of putting it on more then X (still to be determined) amount of players....... I mean, I have two vehicles, a gym mp3 player, ipod touch, 4 stereos, my cell phone, etc....that I like to put music on so i dont have to constantly carry around stuff......................END RANT.

• Moderators
I ripped them to WMA lossless and then converted those into mp3 with foobar/lame. Idk, I guess I'll start doing the lossess part with something else.

I'm actually a little pissed about this. I don't like the idea of it needing "rights" to play my own mp3s. These were all CDs that I bought and ripped myself.

I'm wondering if Foobar2000 has copied over any "restrictive" WMA tags into your MP3s. Starting wondering about that because Foobar2000 auto-tags from the lossless source, so you don't have to manually re-tag everything from scratch. Maybe something worth looking into using Foobar2000's properties for the tags, or even using MP3tag.

I found that if I set my CD player to Analog instead of Digital I have no problems with WMP.

th_cdprops.png

Now that's funny.

• Moderators

You got me, I thought you were just being annoying.

I had no clue about that box and it didn't really have anything to do with what I started the topic about.

I'm pretty much stuck with the WMA lossless tracks I have now(No way in hell I'm ripping all this stuff again) but I'm going to either use Apple Lossless or Flac in the future.

• Moderators
I'm pretty much stuck with the WMA lossless tracks I have now(No way in hell I'm ripping all this stuff again) but I'm going to either use Apple Lossless or Flac in the future.

I would highly recommend FLAC! And there's no better time than now to switch over, and since you're using Foobar2000 it's super easy to convert your WMA Lossless to FLAC Lossless if you dump flac.exe into Foobar2000's program files folder. ;)