Does CCleaner clean for all users?

M_Lyons10

I was just wondering about this the other day and didn't see anything in the documentation. When I run CCleaner, does it clean files / registry for all users on the machine, or just the user I am logged in as?

Just curious.

Thanks,

That's a good question... I only have 1 profile on this computer at home but I will do an "analyze" from work tomorrow to get an answer. I think the answer is yes, it cleans for all users but I do believe the Windows Disk cleanup in XP is user specific if I'm not mistaken.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Ah okay. Well thanks for clearing that up, ring and Andavari. I learn something new about the products every day it seems.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• 2 months later...

This is peculiar to me. I came to this forum because I saw (from the analyses and log screen) that CCleaner does not clean files of other users, only of the logged in user, even if the logged in user has administrators rights.

This is confirmed at the suggestions forum:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21308

were the possibility to clean temporary files for all users is requested.

• 5 weeks later...
This is peculiar to me. I came to this forum because I saw (from the analyses and log screen) that CCleaner does not clean files of other users, only of the logged in user, even if the logged in user has administrators rights.

This is confirmed at the suggestions forum:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21308

were the possibility to clean temporary files for all users is requested.

When trying to go after virusus on other users profiles, I find in somewhat easier to delete their temp files from a fairly unused admin account. I use a batch file to accomplish what everybody wants CCleaner to do.

This works great in combination with CCleaner to clean the registry and other stuff.

Copy the code below into a text file. rename it something like: cleanxp.bat

Cheers!

@echo offSET SRC1=C:\Documents and SettingsSET SRC2=Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5SET SRC3=Local Settings\HistorySET SRC4=Local Settings\TempSET SRC5=Cookiesecho cleaning temporary internet filesFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC2%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"echo cleaning historyFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC3%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"echo cleaning windows temp filesFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC4%\*.*") DO RMDIR  /S /Q "%%Y"FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR  %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC3%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR  %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC4%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"echo cleaning CookiesFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR  %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC5%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"del /f /s /q "%windir%\temp"FOR /D %%X IN ("%windir%\temp\*") DO RMDIR  /S /Q "%%X"echo done.Pause

When trying to go after virusus on other users profiles, I find in somewhat easier to delete their temp files from a fairly unused admin account. I use a batch file to accomplish what everybody wants CCleaner to do.

This works great in combination with CCleaner to clean the registry and other stuff.

Copy the code below into a text file. rename it something like: cleanxp.bat

Cheers!

@echo offSET SRC1=C:\Documents and SettingsSET SRC2=Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5SET SRC3=Local Settings\HistorySET SRC4=Local Settings\TempSET SRC5=Cookiesecho cleaning temporary internet filesFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC2%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"echo cleaning historyFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC3%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"echo cleaning windows temp filesFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC4%\*.*") DO RMDIR  /S /Q "%%Y"FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR  %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC3%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR  %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC4%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"echo cleaning CookiesFOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR  %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC5%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"del /f /s /q "%windir%\temp"FOR /D %%X IN ("%windir%\temp\*") DO RMDIR  /S /Q "%%X"echo done.Pause

Thank you cjltech. Very interesting.

I was wondering if it is possible to explain the code a bit or if there is a manual or tutorial somewhere on the Internet. Among other things because I also use browsers Opera, Mozilla, Safari. I have the impresion that the line

[sET SRC2=Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5]

has something to do with Internet Explorer. Also do I have different logical disks for boot, windows and data.

Do I need to make adaptations for that?

• 1 month later...
Thank you cjltech. Very interesting.

I was wondering if it is possible to explain the code a bit or if there is a manual or tutorial somewhere on the Internet. Among other things because I also use browsers Opera, Mozilla, Safari. I have the impresion that the line

[sET SRC2=Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5]

has something to do with Internet Explorer. Also do I have different logical disks for boot, windows and data.

Do I need to make adaptations for that?

You will need to make adaptations. The majority of my clients use IE. You would have to set up additional variables that match the paths where firefox and the other browsers store their temp files. Of course you would then need the additional lines to actually go and delete files in those paths.

• 6 months later...
You will need to make adaptations. The majority of my clients use IE. You would have to set up additional variables that match the paths where firefox and the other browsers store their temp files. Of course you would then need the additional lines to actually go and delete files in those paths.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I have a question about the batch file. It appears to work for everything except the temporary internet files. I think it is becuase the Content.IE5 directory has a hidden attribute by default. Is there a way to have the batch file ignore the hidden attribute? Even in windows search you have to go to advanced settings and check the box to search hidden files and folders in order for search results to find it. Is there a way to integrate the -H attribute to this? Great batch file by the way!

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I have a question about the batch file. It appears to work for everything except the temporary internet files. I think it is becuase the Content.IE5 directory has a hidden attribute by default. Is there a way to have the batch file ignore the hidden attribute? Even in windows search you have to go to advanced settings and check the box to search hidden files and folders in order for search results to find it. Is there a way to integrate the -H attribute to this? Great batch file by the way!

Thanks!

I am having the same issue and since this seems to be the holy grail of IE cleanup I am wondering if ANYONE has a solution to this? Thanks in advance...

No offense meant if you already knew this, but new computer users should not use someone elses batch file.

Also:

CCleaner has option boxes to clean the internet cache. If you run it with those options checked at startup, the files you had are deleted, and new ones are created.

You will still have files with the same names in the same folders. Those are created at startup. Notice that the file size has changed after a restart.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

No offense meant if you already knew this, but new computer users should not use someone elses batch file.

Also:

CCleaner has option boxes to clean the internet cache. If you run it with those options checked at startup, the files you had are deleted, and new ones are created.

You will still have files with the same names in the same folders. Those are created at startup. Notice that the file size has changed after a restart.

Thanks for the response Login123 even though I don't actually understand what you mean by: "new computer users should not use someone else's batch file." but aside from that I am not a new user I am an veteran IT pro but I can't seem to resolve the multiple IE user issue. Suffice it to say that we all know CCleaner doesn't address it but I am simply wondering if the script referenced here can do the job

That comment was for forum readers who know less about Windows than I do...there must be some :lol: ...and are unaware of the damage one little mistyped key can do. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

FYI, That batch file would not work here, would need some editing. I'm not gonna do it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

That comment was for forum readers who know less about Windows than I do...there must be some :lol: ...and are unaware of the damage one little mistyped key can do. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

FYI, That batch file would not work here, would need some editing. I'm not gonna do it.

Well I'm an amateur with scripting so I can't seem to figure it out... but maybe someone else can...

Well I'm an amateur with scripting so I can't seem to figure it out... but maybe someone else can...

I assume you want help with a script that was discussed over 1 year ago.

Before any code it states

"This works great in combination with CCleaner to clean the registry and other stuff."

In no way is CCleaner implicated in what that script may do.

That script merely attempts to supplement in a fully independent manner the actions of CCleaner,

and I honestly think it could supplement actions of many other junk cleaners.

Perhaps you can P.M. the author for advice

I strongly recommend that your needs may be better served on forums which are focussed upon Batch scripts,

and I have found these sites most helpful :-

http://www.dostips.com/DtCodeSnippets.php

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

I also find this source of information very helpful when I am desperate - but it makes my brain hurt ! !

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737438%28WS.10%29.aspx

Regards

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the response and yes I am clear on the disclaimer and in addition I find CCleaner to be an EXCELLENT tool and this will just help me with a particular need.

I did send a PM so hopefully I will hear back but I will also actively review the links you provided so thanks again.

I assume you want help with a script that was discussed over 1 year ago.

Before any code it states

"This works great in combination with CCleaner to clean the registry and other stuff."

In no way is CCleaner implicated in what that script may do.

That script merely attempts to supplement in a fully independent manner the actions of CCleaner,

and I honestly think it could supplement actions of many other junk cleaners.

Perhaps you can P.M. the author for advice

I strongly recommend that your needs may be better served on forums which are focussed upon Batch scripts,

and I have found these sites most helpful :-

http://www.dostips.com/DtCodeSnippets.php

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

I also find this source of information very helpful when I am desperate - but it makes my brain hurt ! !

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737438%28WS.10%29.aspx

Regards

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the response and yes I am clear on the disclaimer and in addition I find CCleaner to be an EXCELLENT tool and this will just help me with a particular need.

I did send a PM so hopefully I will hear back but I will also actively review the links you provided so thanks again.

Well so far I haven't had any luck at all with this... no response from the original author and after reviewing the links you sent nothing is readily available or evident. I'm actually quite surprised that as much as people on this forum ask and comment for the same thing that no one has it available

Well so far I haven't had any luck at all with this... no response from the original author and after reviewing the links you sent nothing is readily available or evident. I'm actually quite surprised that as much as people on this forum ask and comment for the same thing that no one has it available

I was not offering those links as a source of information upon how to clean files with a batch script,

but to enable you to learn how to use CMD.EXE commands in a batch script.

For several decades I have known all there is to know about the old Command.com commands,

but CMD.EXE is a whole new ball game with far more power,

and I gave you links to sites that may equip you to understand and even alter scripts.

Regards

Alan

I was not offering those links as a source of information upon how to clean files with a batch script,

but to enable you to learn how to use CMD.EXE commands in a batch script.

For several decades I have known all there is to know about the old Command.com commands,

but CMD.EXE is a whole new ball game with far more power,

and I gave you links to sites that may equip you to understand and even alter scripts.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

I understand what your intention was... I didn't miss it at all and I appreciate it... but at the same time my point remains which is the fact that I am amazed that this type of "cleanup" script isn't already readily available since it seems that so many people both here and on other forums are looking for it

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

After reading through this thread, I'm sorry but I still don't understand if there is some simple way to run Ccleaner for my second account. If it is not possible, will running Disk Cleaner in XP SP3 clean both accounts?

Thanks,

JR5280

• Moderators

Hi All,

After reading through this thread, I'm sorry but I still don't understand if there is some simple way to run Ccleaner for my second account. If it is not possible, will running Disk Cleaner in XP SP3 clean both accounts?

Thanks,

JR5280

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676

then shift+right click and choose runas

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com