Need backup of my system & programmes

hayupboy

Would appreciate any advice on what I can do to backup our entire computer system in the worse case scenario of the dreaded computer crash .

We bought our computer system in August 2006 on recommendation of friends from a legitimate business run from a shop run by an Englishman . Being complete computer illiterate we never received any cd recovery or even a barcode on the tower! Luckily our m/s is ok as we get our updates etc. I should add that this gentleman has left the country - did not even say goodbye .

Now , if I have made some of you laugh then so be it ; I am always trying to make someone laugh , do not look in the mirror very often these days !

Anyway I digress , please can someone of knowledge help & it would be appreciated .

Regards

JHC

JHC

• Moderators

Two programs I use are:

Macrium Reflect: (Freeware)

Karens Replicator: (Freeware:

Macrium can make an "Image" backup of your entire system drive to another HD, a Partition, or to DVD's. This is a "snapshot" of your system (C:) drive, and if needed will restore the drive to exactly the state at the time of making the Image. There's a good User Manual, and if necessary just search this forum or use Google to get more info on the program or on Disk Images in general.

Macrium also has the ability to a: make a basic "Rescue CD", which enables you, in the worst case scenario, to boot your computer and restore an Image backup, or b: make a more complex BartPE rescue package, although the latter is maybe something to look at a later time, once you have your basic backups organized, as it takes a little knowledge to set up.

Karens Replicator is a nice tool for making regular backups of your private and important data. Music, photographs and suchlike. It can be set up after making the initial backup to just copy new additions from the original folder to the backup folder. Again, you can get plenty of info on this program if you need it by searching here and the net.

There are other backup programs, and I'm sure you'll get other suggestions.

Just out of interest, what is the PC you have. It may have a "Recovery Partition" installed which enables you to reinstall Windows completely to factory condition should you have a major problem which can't be fixed.

A useful last option if everything else fails.

On my HP computer, it's called "Presario_RP (D:)", and will probably be something similar if you have one.

Hope this helps.

Thankyou DennisD for your reply & advice given .

Unfortunately our system was custom built so as such has no brand name on it . I will have a look into this recovery partition that you mentioned , will get back to this if anything more is found .

JHC

JHC

I find that Belarc Advisor gives a lot of information about the system that comes in handy for me as well as it checks that all Windows Updates are at the correct level:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It is usually updated shortly after Windows Update with its definitions.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
make a more complex BartPE rescue package, although the latter is maybe something to look at a later time, once you have your basic backups organized, as it takes a little knowledge to set up.

I'd recommend also burning 7-Zip Portable onto that disc, since it could actually be needed for unpacking archives, etc., although an already installed 7-Zip on drive C: can be accessed from the BartPE disc too.

I'm re-doing my BartPE disc with some portable goodies just in case I need them.