CCleaner Keeps Deleting My System Restore Point

cholio

My Restore Points statrted to disappear after I upgraded Defraggler to 108 version. I uninstalled this version and reinstalled Defraggler 101, and ran (after creating manual Restore Points), the Restore Points remained.

I am running Vista 64 Ultimate. I also tested this situation with Windows 7 Besta which I am running on Virtual PC, exactly same result. IN MY CASE, the issue has nothing to do with CCleaner which I also use (latest version) or Recylce Bin.

Hope this helps, any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike

My Restore Points statrted to disappear after I upgraded Defraggler to 108 version. I uninstalled this version and reinstalled Defraggler 101, and ran (after creating manual Restore Points), the Restore Points remained.

I am running Vista 64 Ultimate. I also tested this situation with Windows 7 Besta which I am running on Virtual PC, exactly same result. IN MY CASE, the issue has nothing to do with CCleaner which I also use (latest version) or Recylce Bin.

Hope this helps, any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike

Since my last post, I have also discovered if I change the status of an item in Start Up Tool of CCleaner (i.e. disable or delete an item), all Restore Points will be deleted except the last one.

Mike

• 2 years later...

I think I may have a possible solution for this problem if anyone is paying attention. Sorry if it has already been dealt with, but I recently had this same problem. I decided to use an old program to wipe the drives called ncleaner, because it has a scheduler. I use a wake from standby program to start CCleaner, but I wanted the extra flexibility of being able to schedule the wipes separately. Well, the restore points started to immediately disappear. Thanks to CCleaner I was able to catch the problem immediately.

Here's the theory (one of three things):

1. ncleaner uses a wipe technique that registers with CCleaner as used drive space and then with Windows=>the restores are deleted over a space issue

2. ncleaner and CCleaner running at the same time causes the problem

3. Some other problem associated with having separate programs clean and wipe

I uninstalled ncleaner, and the problem immediately went away...at least for now. I have checked twice

Don't know if the empty recylcle bin could also cause problems, because I have never used the feature. I prefer to empty it manually...

• 1 year later...

I have 2 350 gb hard drives in my computer. Over 33 gigs is being allocated for system restore. Disk space is not the issue here at all.

It deletes all points except the last one made. It only saves one and I have no idea what option does this that's why I'm here asking for help. It doesn't "seem" to do this...it "does" do this and reading this post you can see it's not only happening to me.

Despite that all of these posts concerning System Restore points being deleted by CCleaner are pretty much old ( year 2009). Four years later ( current year 2013 ) I can tell you and everyone involved in this issue, that I installed CCleaner Professional latest version yesterday. It should be remarkably important to mention that BEFORE such installation was performed, I had been launching System Restore occasionally, and my computer had been doing just FINE. I never came across any problem. But yesterday, after I had installed CCleaner, I performed the FIRST cleaning with this tool. It did not only DELETE my System Restore points ( except the last one made automatically by Windows OS) but also ended up affecting the wireless signal sent by my Router to both my Desktop PC and my Internet Radio device which is located 5 yards away from my PC. My Internet Radio (I omitt its commecial brand because of courtesy) COULD NOT recognize the WEP Security Key as usual, nor did it my PC. I had to RESET my Router for wireless signal fixing purposes.

CCleaner manufacturing people may have their own reasons. I do respect them. But at this time I'm afraid to say that I am almost 95% positive that it all comes down to CCleaner deleting Windows System Restore Points. So..... heeeeellpp!

It's a very strange coincidence that I read this thread just yesterday, and wondered why someone would bring this thread back up after several years of inactivity. And today I experienced just what everyone on the thread is talking about. This afternoon, I downloaded VMware Player 6.0, and prior to installing it, I set a system restore point and labeled it accordingly. This made a total of two system restore points on my machine. Then I spent some time online reading about how to use VMWare, and at the same time downloaded two Linux ISOs. After closing Internet Explorer, I ran CCleaner, did a quick defrag with Defraggler, then shut down my machine.

Now, several hours later, I checked my restore points by opening CCleaner, and the earlier one was gone. I also checked by starting System Restore and having Windows tell me there was only one restore point available, the one I had created today. I'm sure there were two on my system, and I know I did not delete anything. I never had a problem with CCleaner affecting restore points prior to today. Does anyone have any ideas? (Note: I use the free version, so this is the only support available to me.)

CCleaner v4.06.4324 64 bit and Windows 8 v6.2.9200 64 bit

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

Any winapp2 or other enhancing products we should know about in your ccleaner?

Do you have wipe free space checked off in advanced?

How much room is left on the drive, how much have you allocated to system restore using. I may have missed it but did you have other restore points?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Nergal - thanks for the quick reply. No, I do not have Winapp2 installed. And no, I do not have wipe free space checked off. I have just over 40GB of data on a 100GB partition. I do have the option enabled to move large files to the end of the drive in Defraggler.

Edit: I have 2 GB allocated for System Restore. Not enough for two restore points?

Edit: I just figured out the answer to the previous question. The one restore point I have left is 170MB. Plenty of room.

• Moderators

It may have been the move file, for it to move the files it would probably have to crunch the points out of the way

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Understood Nergal, that explains it. I have that enabled so that all of my .iso files aren't jumbled up with my system files. The two I downloaded this afternoon probably bumped one of the restore points when I defragged. Thanks for your help.

Edit: And the light bulb goes on in Derek's head - a separate partition just for the .iso's would eliminate this problem in the future.

I have 2 GB allocated for System Restore. Not enough for two restore points?

By maxing VSS at 2 GB I'd be limiting my pcs to one restore point each cos my points average >1 GB each.

Have 7 totalling 9.11 GB on the Win7, and 14 using 14.8 GB on the Vista.

Thanks for your reply kroozer. My machine originally had C: drive set up at just over 900GB. Just over a week ago I used Partition Magic to repartition my drive to dual boot with Linux and shrunk C: to 100GB. I neglected to re-configure system restore with a higher percentage of C: drive allocated to restore points (2% of 900=18; 2% of 100=2). It's my fault for not checking. Thanks again for pointing that out.

• 3 weeks later...

CCLeaner always deletes system restore if used under an admin account. If used once, it will delete the system restore and make it the last avaible one. This has always been the case for me, on mulitple computers windows vista xp 8 and 7.

• Moderators

CCLeaner always deletes system restore if used under an admin account. If used once, it will delete the system restore and make it the last avaible one. This has always been the case for me, on mulitple computers windows vista xp 8 and 7.

That has never happened to me on two different XP Pro computers.