My cheap new printer

rridgely

• Moderators

Ok, so I went to walmart today to pick up a couple of ink cartridges for my printer.(yeah walmart sucks, but I didn't feel like driving any further and I had to have them now). These things usually run me about $60 for black and color. I'm walking around looking for them and then I see an hp printer for $25. I just couldn't pass up giving it a look... and then I bought it. :lol:

Its a HP deskjet F2210. It has a scanner with copy functions and a couple of easy to use touch pad controls.

It also came with color and black ink(why I purchased it.) Surprisingly this thing isn't a huge piece of junk, its definitely cheaply made but it seems to work fairly well. (I don't print photos, only documents and occasionally stuff with basic graphics.) The stuff I printed looked fine.

I knew HP had terrible software so I immediately tossed the disc that came with it and looked on their site for just the driver, luckily it was there. So I got it installed with zero software besides the driver.(no junky services!) I set the scanner to work with picasa and it works flawlessly.

For a cheap printer I don't think it could be much better. Its definitely bulky, but its sitting on a shelf so I don't care.

The documents I printed look fine and the replacement carteridges for this thing are much cheaper than my other printer. (15 for black 17 for color) no I don't know how long they last(definitely key if you print a lot) but what do you expect for something this cheap.

• Moderators

Yeah my other printer is a cannon too(pixima something.. cost me like $200). I usually pay about $60 for both cartridges but if I got the "photo-quality" ones it would cost even more. The one I got today is definitely better for my needs.

hehe, those HP Printers at Walmart always going on sell :P

my Grandpa gave me his HP855C Series Printer (not sure of the Model Name but it was 8## something) and it worked and printed fine for years back on my old Rig.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I have a Brother All-in-One MFC240C that I purchased ages ago for $80.00 I believe and it has a large black cartridge that costs about $60.00 to replace with an original cartridge but luckily I found a Island Ink-Jet cartridge refill place next to my local bank that refill it for $9.00.

http://www.islandinkjet.com/ourlocations

Wal-Mart is too far away from me unfortunately to try their refill services.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

We unfortumately bought a Canon Pixma 110 (I think) all-in-one after it had rave reviews in a pc mag. It was terrible. Ink is cheap but the cartidges are so small (7 ml or so) that you never know if any problems are caused by low ink or something else. And as it's not used every day the print heads dried up, and despite running cleaner fluid through them it never returned to anything but a faded grey print. A waste of the best part of ?100.

Now my old HP950C just keeps going after years of moderate use. I do tend to buy HP cartridges which are expensive, but I have had frustration with rebuilt carts, and there's nothing more frustrating than driving into town to get a catr, driving home, and the thingh doesn't work so you have to go all the way back into town again.

We're thinking of replacing the rubbish Canon with an HP all-in-one, they're almost cheaper than the cost of the cartidges, but the important thing is that they work.

We're thinking of replacing the rubbish Canon with an HP all-in-one, they're almost cheaper than the cost of the cartidges, but the important thing is that they work.

Review what rridgely said as the HP software is more bloated than a Norton install and just about as hard to get rid of its remnants.

Maybe you could start up an Island Ink-Jet franchise over 'ome? ;)

It is much cheaper to take your photos to Kinko's or Wall-Mart and have them make the images as they use better quality ink.

Edited by YoKenny

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Yes, I shall try to run without installing any software I never knew I wanted. And yes again, I never try to print photos myself, get a pro job for a few pence at any photo outlet. I even know how to use the machines myself!

• Moderators

I've used both cheap and expensive printer/scanner combos. I have an expensive HP right now which cost $299 back when I got it. However I've noticed no difference in print quality over the past ten years using various different printer brands not even with my current expensive HP that uses special HP Vivera ink.