An option to move the pagefile.sys

LeizaaR

Hello people !

I think it will be a great idea to add an option to move this file (pagefile.sys) at the beginning of the HDD. Everybody know that the beginning of the HDD is more efficient than another part and even if it seems to be a thing not very useful, it could be in my opinion a good stuff to implement.

"A bon entendeur, salut !" (like we could say in France) - "A word to the wise is enough"

Benjamin

I think it will be a great idea to add an option to move this file (pagefile.sys) at the beginning of the HDD. Everybody know that the beginning of the HDD is more efficient than another part and even if it seems to be a thing not very useful, it could be in my opinion a good stuff to implement.

I'm not sure that "everyone knows" this - I could argue the exact opposite! If you have sufficient memory so that paging is (almost) unnecessary, it is best to put the page file as far out of the way as possible.

Anyway, no program can move the page file when Windows is started; it has to be done very shortly after boot time. like CHKDSK of the Windows disk.

#####

Adding all these additional and unrelated facilities (like messing with the registry) is just "feature creep", which in the case of Word means that many of the things it can do are not used nor wanted by 90% of the users... Please stick with defragmenting disks! There are other programs which do other things.

• Moderators
Anyway, no program can move the page file when Windows is started; it has to be done very shortly after boot time. like CHKDSK of the Windows disk.

There's a commercial defragger than can do it, the problem is the time necessary for such a so-called "tweak" takes a very long time for completion as it copies the paging file to another file and places it in the "desired" location then reboots removing the original page file. It takes forever and is a feature I've only used once.

So with an option that we can tick or not, which it could be done just once (because it seems to take a very long time), Defraggler would accelerate the performance of the paging file of the HDD. But like you say, its just a "tweak" ;)!

There's a commercial defragger than can do it, the problem is the time necessary for such a so-called "tweak" takes a very long time for completion as it copies the paging file to another file and places it in the "desired" location then reboots removing the original page file. It takes forever and is a feature I've only used once.

An option I tried last night was to increase the size of my page file, which caused it to go into two fragments, then to run Mark Russinovich's PageDefrag and reboot. PageDefrag did what it said, but the single page file extent was arbitrarily placed.

I don't see any good reason why the page file can't just be left in peace!

An option I tried last night was to increase the size of my page file, which caused it to go into two fragments, then to run Mark Russinovich's PageDefrag and reboot. PageDefrag did what it said, but the single page file extent was arbitrarily placed.

I don't see any good reason why the page file can't just be left in peace!

AMEN to that brother.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user