CCleaner and iTunes Issues

vorticity

I noticed when I run CCleaner my iTunes icon disappears off my desktop and my start menu. I have to go back to progams to run it. Then last week my entire iTunes library was gone. Any ideas whether CCleaner is the culprit. I occassionally run the Registry cleaner, should I block somethng just to be certain?>

• Moderators

Hi vorticity, and welcome to the forum.

CCleaner shouldn't affect your iTunes at all, but regarding your shortcuts, try unchecking the "Start Menu Shortcuts" and "Desktop Shortcuts" in "CCleaner/Windows/System".

Unless you have your iTunes folder somewhere other than the default location, which is....

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music

...CCleaner will not touch that location unless it's specifically configured to do so by the user. Have you tried "pinning" the iTunes shortcut to the Start Menu? C:\Program Files\iTunes, right click iTunes.exe and select "pin to start menu".

I have a long list of shortcuts pinned to my Start Menu", 23 I think, and I have the "Number Of Programs" set to 0.

Right click the task bar, select "properties/start menu/customize"

t659_StartMenu.jpg

This makes all the shortcuts I pin to it, fixed, as it's no longer a dynamic "recently used" menu.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with iTunes and CC. It does not remove the shortcut, but does something to the library at first. I've tried it out to confirm this error and, indeed, the library only got damaged after running CC. And than something else happened! CC even damaged the whole program! I had to reinstall iTunes! (that happened two times already, because I couldn't believe it at first).

What's wrong there?

Tristan

Hi vorticity, and welcome to the forum.

CCleaner shouldn't affect your iTunes at all, but regarding your shortcuts, try unchecking the "Start Menu Shortcuts" and "Desktop Shortcuts" in "CCleaner/Windows/System".

Unless you have your iTunes folder somewhere other than the default location, which is....

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music

...CCleaner will not touch that location unless it's specifically configured to do so by the user. Have you tried "pinning" the iTunes shortcut to the Start Menu? C:\Program Files\iTunes, right click iTunes.exe and select "pin to start menu".

I have a long list of shortcuts pinned to my Start Menu", 23 I think, and I have the "Number Of Programs" set to 0.

Right click the task bar, select "properties/start menu/customize"

t659_StartMenu.jpg

This makes all the shortcuts I pin to it, fixed, as it's no longer a dynamic "recently used" menu.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Hi Tristan, and welcome to Piriform.

As I mentioned to the other poster, if iTunes and the iTunes music library are in there default locations, then CCleaner shouldn't have any effect on either.

I have iTunes installed myself, or I should say my daughter does as I hate the program with a passion, and I don't experience any issues at all.

Can you provide more information?

Your Operating System, which version of CCleaner and which version of iTunes you have. Also, where do you have iTunes and it's music library installed?

Do you run any other temp files cleaner or registry cleaner, and have you installed anything new round about the time this problem started?

I use iTunes v. 8.1.0.52 (the newest) and CCleaner v. 2.17.853 (I only use iTunes for the iPod and for converting CD's and Wav-files to mp3, otherwise I hate it as well. I'm a big fan of Winamp). iTunes is installed as standard (library files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\) as is CC (no additional things checked).

After using the cleaner and registry cleaner and starting up iTunes I got the message: Library file is damaged, iTunes will make new file (or something in that general direction) and I got another message twice saying some necessary files got damaged and iTunes needed to be reinstalled.

I don't dare to start CC at the moment to see if it's happening again, because I first wanted to see what you guys where saying.

Next to CC I use the Uniblue registry cleaner, but I already tried that one out and it didn't affect iTunes (for now...) will let you know if the trick "pin to start menu" will help.

Hope that is a little bit more information. When I get the problem again (because I will keep on using CC) I try uploading the screenshot.

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

Tristan

• Moderators

At least the problem isn't down to any non default install locations, but I'm still scratching my head here, as CCleaner doesn't touch any files or folders in any of the My Documents system folders, simply because those locations are chock full of personal data.

As mentioned previously, I hate iTunes and the huge QuickTime install needed to run it, and I'm wondering if the problem could be more iTunes to blame than CCleaner.

We have version 8.0.1.11, and I've no intention of updating it as it's working OK, although it's a slow, bloated pain in the backside to use, and new versions don't necessarily mean better ones.

The mention of the damaged Library File prompted me to check through the iTunes Program Files folder, and as I thought, there are no Library Files kept in there. As you are probably already aware, they're all kept in the "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder, which CCleaner doesn't touch.

All I can suggest, is when you get everything running properly, to do only an "Analyze" pass with CCleaner, and only a Registry Scan without fixing the errors, and take a screen shot of the results. There may be something popping up that will give a clue as to what your problem is.

Having a check through the results before you get a problem is what I'm thinking.

If there are any other unfortunate iTunes users out there looking in, who have experienced a similar problem, I'm sure they'll contribute.

One final thing for now, is I've experienced problems with iTunes in the time we've had it, and my solution was a complete uninstall, which doesn't touch the music library, but we back that up anyway, and then a fresh install of the same version.

If you have the space, and you haven't done this already, I would strongly suggest a backup of your music library.

• 10 years later...

Years later, I have the same problem.

I found my whole itune libray empty, and my trash folder as well. 
I had important docs in my trash folder. 
I'm shocked that CC cleaner uses a default and not an opt in policy.

I simply cannot believe it ...

• Moderators

Two questions occur to me.

1- Are you using Easy Clean/Health Check? Those use a a 'standard' set of cleaning rules that you can't modify. If you want more control over what does or doesn't get cleaned then you have to use Custom Clean. (The clue is in the different names).

2- Why do you have 'important docs' in your trash? Would you keep important letters/documents in your waste bin at home?

I cannot believe that anyone would put something important in the trash.

PS. You are aware that Windows itself will periodicaly empty your trash?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043