CC won't run "Cleaner" on my Win98SE machine, but

Aage

So, as I put in the title, my old Win98SE machine (a Pentium III 500 with 128 memory) won't run the "Clean" part of CC. I click on "analyze" and it immediately says "0" to remove. :(

However, I ran the "Registry" part of it, and it took a TON of old crap off. :blink:

I know I have old cookies and whatnot, because if I go into Options and click "Cookies", it find a whole pile of them, but they don't appear in the "Clean" part. :unsure:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aage

Jeepers, sorry for all the typos! I really can speak and write English, just that I suppose I lean on spellcheckers too much.

I suppose this isn't a really busy forum, since CClean is so easy to use, and the controls layout is totally logical. In fact, I woldn't have posted at all if I didn't have this problem.

Anyway, I thought I would add that I tried selecting the folders I really wanted to clean, and still Cleaner won't start.

I also put the "Portable" version on a thumb drive (USB drive) in the hopes that it would work for me from there, but still no joy.

So, if anyone has another suggestion that I could try to get this working, I would be eternally grateful!

And by the way, I think that CCleaner is s tremendous product!

• Moderators

I don't know if you need the Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files updated or not since the registry cleaning part of CCleaner is working, however it's one of the solutions for getting CCleaner to properly work. Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files are needed by many programs, and there's no harm in installing them. Note: Restart Windows if you install the Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files even if not prompted to restart.

Other than that perhaps:

1. Uninstall CCleaner

2. Restart Windows.

3. Download CCleaner from the official website located here.

4. Install CCleaner.

5. Restart Windows after installing CCleaner.

I don't know if you need the Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files updated or not since the registry cleaning part of CCleaner is working, however it's one of the solutions for getting CCleaner to properly work. Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files are needed by many programs, and there's no harm in installing them. Note: Restart Windows if you install the Microsoft Visual Basic Runtime Files even if not prompted to restart.

Other than that perhaps:

1. Uninstall CCleaner

2. Restart Windows.

3. Download CCleaner from the official website located here.

4. Install CCleaner.

5. Restart Windows after installing CCleaner.

Thanks! I'll give those a try!

Thanks! I'll give those a try!

Well, I did all those steps, but still no joy. I updated Visual Basic, I deleted CCleaner, then reinstalled it, after carefully booting after every step all along the way, results are the same.

In other words, while "Registry" runs fine, "Cleaner" still returns in 0.12 seconds proudly telling me there there is nothing to remove.

I wonder if it's just that WinSE on a Pentium III 550 is a combo that just won't let CCleaner work properly? Still holding out hope that someone can give me the silver bullet to fix this, as this computer really needs the attic dusted and the basement swept out.

Thanks again for trying though.

Cheers,

Aage

Issue is that CCleaner failed to retrieve certain folders names like C:\windows\Prefetch (SHGetSpecialFolderPath api and friends). Try running regedit.exe and go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\SHELL FOLDERS key, look if the values on the right side appears or not. Some system files may be corrupted so try running sigverif to check them.

This kind of problems normaly happens when you have multiple operating systems installed on seperated partitions like windows 98 on one partition, windows 2000 on another partition and windows xp on a third partition. You can try using an older version of CCleaner to see if it's running correctly or not.

Issue is that CCleaner failed to retrieve certain folders names like C:\windows\Prefetch (SHGetSpecialFolderPath api and friends). Try running regedit.exe and go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\SHELL FOLDERS key, look if the values on the right side appears or not. Some system files may be corrupted so try running sigverif to check them.

This kind of problems normaly happens when you have multiple operating systems installed on seperated partitions like windows 98 on one partition, windows 2000 on another partition and windows xp on a third partition. You can try using an older version of CCleaner to see if it's running correctly or not.

Baki,

This PC only has one OS on it: Win98SE. I just did a re-install "over" the existing one on the weekend for other reasons. Fault ocurred before and after the re-install.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\SHELL FOLDERS" is populated with values being all the various system and user folders on this PC.

What in heck is "sigverif" supposed to fix? It looks for "unsigned files", and of course on a computer first put in service in 2000, and using software as old as 1993, it found LOTS of "unsigned" items (including, for example, the swap file). Am I to make something of this? I'll not use it again, since it also wanted to run the install from MS Office 2000, and I don't need it to do that. :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestions, but no go so far...

Issue is that CCleaner failed to retrieve certain folders names like C:\windows\Prefetch

Well Win98SE doesn't have a C:\windows\Prefetch folder by default unless someone has added one.

Well I've been running CC for the past two and a half years without any problems. Read my sig for comp spec. Andavari's suggestion only comes in force if you are using a v2.0 of CC that was made using Visual Basic. The later versions use C++. Though it doesn't hurt to have VB Runtimes files installed, read my sig again.

I know I have old cookies and whatnot, because if I go into Options and clikc "Cookies", it find a whole pile of them, but they don't apprea in the "Clean" part.

If you want to clean the cookies make sure the Cookies is ticked under Internet Explorer.

When you run CC doesn't bother with an Analyze this could take a long time just do a Clean. In Options\Advanced just remove the checkmark of Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours. On Win98SE everything needs deleting. On my system I have a line in my Autoexec.bat file that deletes all files in Windows\Temp folder on startup.

However, I ran the "Registry" part of it, and it took a TON of old crap off.

If you do a Registry clean always make sure you have the Show prompt to backup Registry issues in Options\Advanced checked and save the backup somewhere just in case something doesn't work as it should do.

I'm going to bet you that you have more apps running in the background that you can't see. Startup your computer in normal mode and when you can only see your desktop do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and make a list of all programs showing in Task Manager and post them here. How many icons are showing in the systray? (by the clock)

If you are sticking with this computer then I would suggest you get more memory inserted 128Kb is nothing today. I started my Win98SE 8 years ago with 256Kb, last year I bought 512Kb and this year I added one of my old 128Kb so I'm running 639Kb.

I actually posted a Memory Checker app that I made on here but I can't find it anywhere. Thats because the search facility isn't very good. I know the words to search for Memory Checker but it shows any page with memory in and every page with checker in not combined. Thats made with VB6 so if your downloaded and installed Andavari's runtime files you will be alright. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 3 weeks later...
If you want to clean the cookies make sure the Cookies is ticked under Internet Explorer.

When you run CC doesn't bother with an Analyze this could take a long time just do a Clean. In Options\Advanced just remove the checkmark of Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours. On Win98SE everything needs deleting. On my system I have a line in my Autoexec.bat file that deletes all files in Windows\Temp folder on startup.

Well, Cookies ticked, >48hours unticked, tried Analyze, no go, tried Clean, more "no go." Actually, running CC, it suggested to d/l the newer version, which I did.

If you do a Registry clean always make sure you have the Show prompt to backup Registry issues in Options\Advanced checked and save the backup somewhere just in case something doesn't work as it should do.

Roger

I'm going to bet you that you have more apps running in the background that you can't see. Startup your computer in normal mode and when you can only see your desktop do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and make a list of all programs showing in Task Manager and post them here. How many icons are showing in the systray? (by the clock)

Tray has the clock, NetMedic (old benign prog to show download speed, site connection health, etc), Syshook, Teatimer, Directcd, Loadqm, Atiptaxx, Stimon, Rundll32, Systray, Imgicon, Ashmaisv, Ashwebsv (I think the last two are for Avast AV prog).

If you are sticking with this computer then I would suggest you get more memory inserted 128Kb is nothing today. I started my Win98SE 8 years ago with 256Kb, last year I bought 512Kb and this year I added one of my old 128Kb so I'm running 639Kb.

I actually posted a Memory Checker app that I made on here but I can't find it anywhere. Thats because the search facility isn't very good. I know the words to search for Memory Checker but it shows any page with memory in and every page with checker in not combined. Thats made with VB6 so if your downloaded and installed Andavari's runtime files you will be alright. ;)

Yes, low memory is not helping. I actually thought I had found some cheap, just received 2 sticks of PC133 512MB today, installed them, turned it on and got a single long beep that kept repeating itself. Took out one of the 512s, same result. Obviously a mismatch, so back to 128MB, working as before.

Your little memchecker (quite cute, worked fine) says 0% resources free. "Available 130468MB, Free ~2000MB", it changes all by itself.

So, sadly after all your suggestions, either it's the low memory that CC doesn't like, or there is still another problem. Thanks for your input, Keith.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Cheers,

Aage Johansen

Aurora, Ontario

Canada

Is this what you're looking for Keith?

:)

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...st&p=101730

Yes thats the one Dennis thanks. I will replace that zip with the updates Memory Checker later.

Tray has the clock, NetMedic (old benign prog to show download speed, site connection health, etc), Syshook, Teatimer, Directcd, Loadqm, Atiptaxx, Stimon, Rundll32, Systray, Imgicon, Ashmaisv, Ashwebsv (I think the last two are for Avast AV prog).

No Ashmaisv, Ashwebsv aren't AVG. God you have a load crap running there. Actually you only need 2 processes running with Win98SE that Systray and Explorer. That doesn't mean you need Windows Explorer running all the time. The Systray is the section by the clock. Stimon is a the Still Image Monitor which I haven't really found a need for but it doesn't use much resources. Loadqm is part of MSN Messenger which you don't actually need unless you online all the time talking to users. I will be very supprised if you don't have the MSN Messenger icon in there as well. You can open it up and go into Options and remove the tick next to Start when Windows starts up. If you End Task Explorer then you will see the Windows Shutdown options.

Yes, low memory is not helping. I actually thought I had found some cheap, just received 2 sticks of PC133 512MB today, installed them, turned it on and got a single long beep that kept repeating itself. Took out one of the 512s, same result. Obviously a mismatch, so back to 128MB, working as before.

Your little memchecker (quite cute, worked fine) says 0% resources free. "Available 130468MB, Free ~2000MB", it changes all by itself.

Ok Aage you say you've installed 2 sticks of PC133 512MB you will find that Win98 doesn't recognise anything after 512MB (even thou I have 639MB which is recognised and useable) unless you chenge one of the settings in the Windows\System.ini. Are you sure you have PC133 chips fitted? Mine is a 10 year old computer and mine are PC100. Don't think that fitting PC133 becuase its bigger that 100 will make it run faster it won't. That speed won't match the motherboard.

I've made a little change to my Memory Checker app only for the fact it shows the memory as 130,468MB I've rounded it of to 130MB if thats what you have. I will upload the newer version later on when I get home. I can't do it at work because they have removed WinZip of our computers because Windows has its own file compression utility. The the Memory Checker updates every 2 milliseconds so its quick. ;)

Edit: Ok I've updated Memory Checker.zip

Edited by Keithuk

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well, Cookies ticked, >48hours unticked, tried Analyze, no go, tried Clean, more "no go." Actually, running CC, it suggested to d/l the newer version, which I did.

Roger

So, sadly after all your suggestions, either it's the low memory that CC doesn't like, or there is still another problem. Thanks for your input, Keith.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Cheers,

Aage Johansen

Aurora, Ontario

Canada

Aage

I've been having a similiar problem getting CCleaner reloaded on my computer. It's a Compaq Armada 1750 with a 500 MHz Pentium III, 192Mb RAM, and running Win98SE. I've used CCleaner for quite awhile and I've been very happy with it.

In a nutshell, what I ended up doing was uninstalling CCleaner and then used RegSeeker to remove any references to CCleaner. Used the same program to remove anything else it didn't like. Then I grabbed an older version of CCleaner (2.0.0.500) and installed it instead. Now CCleaner is working properly.

At the end of the day, I probably didn't need to backdate CCleaner, but I was frustrated, so I did.

Just an observation, but I couldn't help noticing all of the stuff you listed earlier on your computer. Seeing you're still running Win98se on your computer, it probably wouldn't hurt to spend some time cleaning out any unnecessary apps and files. With WinXP it pretty easy and things usually don't go sour, however with Win98se you will need to be a little careful. The methods I go through are probably beyond what needs to be mentioned in this string. Send me an email if you want to try my methods.

:D Cheers!!

Mark Elzinga

Wichita, KS

USA

Hallo,

I also have this problem.

I run CCleaner on two computers with WinME since a couple of months. Everytime it finds something to delete.

But since version 2.15 it works no more on both computers - nothing to delete, but obviously the program doesnt search at all.

Version 2.14 works, but 2.15 and 2.16 dont. There must be something new since 2.15. Any idea?

Happy weekend.

Olaf

Welcome to Piriform Mark and Olaf

Well I've been using CC for two and half years and every version works as it says on the tin. There is nothing in the registry that can effect installation. All these settings are removed when you uninstall CC but this isn't a good option if your updating CC because you have to remember all you settings and put them back in again. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi Aage and Keithuk-

I'm fixing a Compaq desktop similar to yours. Compaq 5BW130/Celeron with a Compaq 06C0H mobo. Orig had W98SE, upgraded to WXPProSP2 ? FAT32 with W98SE in another partition (D), 15GBHD (full!). Had PC133 256MB RAM with slot 2 empty. Specs say 512MB RAM max, but only 256MB max PER SLOT (1x512 won't work-tried it). And... to get slot 2 to read I had to update the BIOS to the "newest" of 4/18/01 (HP BIOS update addresses memory upgrades and using additional Intel products). I only have another 128MB card, so I'm at 384, until I scrounge up another 256MB. (I even might try a P3 if I can borrow one.)

In reading a bit about this model series I found that they came with W98SE or early XP(Home); some used PC100 cards, some used PC133; most had Celeron, but some had P3. All had max 512MB RAM max/256MB max per slot IF you did the BIOS update. Wotta mess! (well, parts is parts...)

I had a worry about Ccleaner running with FAT32 and a nearly full HD, but Ccleaner (2.15) and Defraggler both worked great!

So if you're concerned with memory, check for a BIOS update , throw in a 256 or two, and try Cc again. :D

Had PC133 256MB RAM with slot 2 empty. Specs say 512MB RAM max, but only 256MB max PER SLOT (1x512 won't work-tried it). And... to get slot 2 to read I had to update the BIOS to the "newest" of 4/18/01 (HP BIOS update addresses memory upgrades and using additional Intel products). I only have another 128MB card, so I'm at 384, until I scrounge up another 256MB. (I even might try a P3 if I can borrow one.)

Hi Gary.

As I've said mine are PC100 chips because my system is 10 years old. You say you've tried 1, 512MB but it wouldn't work so you need 2, 256MB. You can't buy PC100 new any more and PC130's my be getting hard to find. I did a search on eBay and found 2, 256MB in Hong Kong for ?20 inc; P+P 18 months ago. I had another 128MB in my old motherboard so now I have 639MB.

I had a worry about Ccleaner running with FAT32 and a nearly full HD, but Ccleaner (2.15) and Defraggler both worked great!

Defraggler doesn't work with Win9x/ME Gary. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi Gary.

As I've said mine are PC100 chips because my system is 10 years old. You say you've tried 1, 512MB but it wouldn't work so you need 2, 256MB. You can't buy PC100 new any more and PC130's my be getting hard to find. I did a search on eBay and found 2, 256MB in Hong Kong for ?20 inc; P+P 18 months ago. I had another 128MB in my old motherboard so now I have 639MB.

Defraggler doesn't work with Win9x/ME Gary. ;)

Hi Keithuk-

Pardon my laziness by doing a "2fer" reply last time. Yep, good PC100's are hard to come by, that's why I strip'em out prior to taking friend's/family's old 'puters to the recycler. PC133's are even rarer, but still can be bought for $$ (Kingston) limited size/stock. Thanks for the info on Defraggler.

Hi Aage-

Ashmaisv and Ashwebsv are for Avast, being the mail scanner and web shield functions. You also may see Ashserv, this is the Standard Shield function. I did a search on the Avast.com forum and did not see any threads pertaining to any conflicts between Avast and Ccleaner.

It's cold comfort, I know, but I am having exactly the same problem with CCleaner on two Win98SE boxes.

Versions up to 2.14 have worked fine for years. Then I updated to the latest v2.16, and the "Clean" part of the program stopped finding anything to remove. Unfortunately I did not keep the v2.14 installer, but I have still got v2.07. I am now using this, and the program works again. So something has changed going from v2.14 to v2.16, making the new version incompatible with my Win98SE installations.

Unfortunately I did not keep the v2.14 installer, but I have still got v2.07.

As Hazel has pointed out you can download any version you want too from CCleaner 1.16.082 to CCleaner 2.16.830 of FileHippo. Version 1's of CC were made with Visual Basic so you would need to install the Visual Basic Runtime files before it would work.

As I've said before I've used every version of CC for the past two and half years and each version work exactly as it says on the tin. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

As Hazel has pointed out you can download any version you want too from CCleaner 1.16.082 to CCleaner 2.16.830 of FileHippo. Version 1's of CC were made with Visual Basic so you would need to install the Visual Basic Runtime files before it would work.

As I've said before I've used every version of CC for the past two and half years and each version work exactly as it says on the tin. ;)

Thank you, Keith and Hazel.

By experimenting with the various version on FileHippo, I now know that the last version to work on my Win98SE box is 2.14.763. Something must have changed after this.

I now know that the last version to work on my Win98SE box is 2.14.763. Something must have changed after this.

Well I don't know whats changed. As I've said I've been using CC for the past two and a half years which out any problems with any version. I had slight snags with Recuva. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 2 weeks later...

I found the latest ccleaner version did not operate correctly on a win98se PC of mine:

-

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A

Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IE /NF /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IE 5 6.0.2800.1106

AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon XP 2000+

512MB RAM

75% system resources free

Custom swap file on drive C (1827MB free)

Available space on drive C: 1827MB of 4141MB (FAT32)

-

Hardware:

Motherboard ECS K7VTA3 V8.0

Video Asus 16MB AGP (w/ Riva TNT chipset)

Wavewatcher PCI (TV card)

Modem PCI agere 56k (aka Lucent Venus / Mars chipset)

Hard drive: 8GB PATA EIDE

CD/DVD burner: PATA EIDE

After a fresh install from a Win98se CD, I upgraded to MSIE 6 sp1 and then installed all MS updates.

I downloaded older versions of ccleaner off filehippo. Really old versions needed the vbrun60sp6.exe installed. I kept working my way up from old version, works OK, de-install, try the next newest version, etc. until I found that version v2.14.763 or older, work fine on Win98se. Any version newer than v2.14.768 does not work on Win98se: the symptoms are " 0 items are deleted " (similar to what others have stated).

Later, v2.14.768 continued to work fine after I installed Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Opera 9.63 browsers, with Java 1.5 and Flash 9 and made the newest browser (Opera 9.63) the default browser (has all the 'safer-browsing features' old browsers don't).

Here is what ccleaner v2.14.768 states is installed on this win98se PC:

7-Zip 4.65

Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX

ASUS Display Drivers

CCleaner (remove only)

ClamWin Free Antivirus 0.94.1

Flash CD & DVD Burner

GetRight 5.2d

Internet Explorer Q916281

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 17

LanLight version 1.1

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools

Microsoft VGX Q833989

Mozilla Firefox (2.0.0.20)

My Essentials Wireless USB Utility

Opera

Spybot - Search & Destroy

VIA Audio Driver Setup Program

Windows 98 KB891711 Update

Windows 98 KB896358 Update

Windows 98 KB908519 Update

Windows 98 KB918547 Update

Windows 98 Q823559 Update

Windows 98 Q888113 Update

Later, v2.14.768 continued to work fine when I changed the hard drive's partitioning to create a multi-boot PC:

hda1 fat32 partition for Win98se

hda2 ext3 partition for Linux Puppy3.01

hda3 swap and

hda4 ext3 partition Linux Ubuntu 6.06.1LTS.

I then set ccleaner to start up each time I restart: still OK.

I am posting this as an fyi to those that are running Win98se and have problems using the newer versions of ccleaner. I am happy to use version v2.14.768 on this win98se PC, and the newest version of ccleaner on my other PCs: WinXP, WinVista64, etc.

ccleaner is a very good app, nice job!