Defragging the Registry

mr don

Defraggler is great the way it just keeps on improving. I know it defragments files, but I have seen programs that claim to defrag the registry. Is there a chance you can make it defrag the registry in addition to files so that it will really "speed up" the pc?

I would love to see a version that "defragmented everything" if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Oh PLEASE don't. Just leave the registry alone. Stick to hard disks!

Read Ed Bott's old, but still mostly relevant, article on the subject...

This is correct. But he is speaking of cleaning registry keys which could be very dangerous. This would be similar to cleaning out old programs on the pc that are "no longer needed" which could be just as dangerous.

I am not suggesting that the registry be cleaned, but merely that the keys are defragged so they are closer together, similar as to how files are done on the pc. This should not be dangerous, as no changes are being made to the content of the registry, but merely rearranging the existing keys for performance.

There is a difference between "cleaning" the registry & defragging. I agree, cleaning would be dangerous, but defragging would not if properly done.

Registry Defragmenters

"Unlike Registry Cleaners, defragmenting the registry can improve performance. Paging and Registry file fragmentation can be one of the leading causes of performance degradation related to file fragmentation in a system."

Source - XP Myths guide confirmed that it is safe and will improves Performance if defrag the registry