Beware of SiteAdvisor 28.0

Andavari

• Moderators

Anyone using SiteAdvisor 26.6 should be well aware if installing 28.0 because you're going to get much more than you bargained for. It isn't a mere Firefox add-on update, it installs SiteAdvisor system-wide into not only Firefox but Internet Explorer as well. I also noticed a background running process.

I've since System Restored out of the version upgrade, and will most likely ditch SiteAdvisor until they change their Firefox add-on installation practices.

Anyone using SiteAdvisor 26.6 should be well aware if installing 28.0 because you're going to get much more than you bargained for. It isn't a mere Firefox add-on update, it installs SiteAdvisor system-wide into not only Firefox but Internet Explorer as well. I also noticed a background running process.

I've since System Restored out of the version upgrade, and will most likely ditch SiteAdvisor until they change their Firefox add-on installation practices.

Thank you for the information, I think I will remove it :)

• Moderators

If you want an alternative, try Web Of Trust. I don't know if it's as "In Depth" as Site Advisor, as SA has been around for a long time, and has a huge database of sites.

Better than nothing.

Web Of Trust:

If you use Opera or Safari, there's a "Bookmark" you can add to your toolbar, which is also pretty neat. Once again, better than nothing.

Web Of Trust: (Bookmark)

I use SiteAdvisor and Web of Trust (WoT ) and I like both of them.

I use SiteAdvisor on IE7 without Yahoo search and it is Version 2.9.239

I use WoT on my old PIII because I could not get SiteAdvisor to work on IE8 beta2

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Anyone using SiteAdvisor 26.6 should be well aware if installing 28.0 because you're going to get much more than you bargained for.

Sorry I didn't read this thread until after I'd updated. Started getting numerous "site not loading" results from OpenDNS. Disabling Site Advisor fixed the problem. All I can say to McAfee is "Bah Humbug" for destroying such a wonderful program. Merry Christmas to All.

• Moderators
Sorry I didn't read this thread until after I'd updated.

It also leaves tons of junk behind when uninstalling 28.0, so if you've removed it look in C:\Program Files for a left over McAfee folder. Actually it's best to just System Restore your way out of it, and hopefully you've been regularly backing up your Firefox user profile as restoring it also restores the old tried-and-true 26.6.

I'm sure glad I'm not infected by Firefox.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I'm sure glad I'm not infected by Firefox.

Firefox isn't the issue in this case, instead it's McAfee's piss poor way of installing a plug-in/add-on for one browser and having it "infest" into others like Internet Explorer without any notification to the end user. I suppose if someone used and installed it for Internet Explorer and didn't want it in Firefox it would do the same.

Doesn't do that here at all, just installs as a regular extension update. Monitored the install, checked for background processes and nothing out of the ordinary

Having said that it doesn't seem to work right, messes up the FF window (thought it was just a theme incompatibility but default theme messes up too) but luckily only installed under returnil so no damage done.

• Moderators
Doesn't do that here at all, just installs as a regular extension update. Monitored the install, checked for background processes and nothing out of the ordinary

Have you launched IE lately though? When I did I was confronted with a EULA that had to agreed to and there was no way of canceling it other than end tasking IE. Unless of course they've gotten so much backlash in the past few days they could've changed something, that's speculation though and I won't be trying 28.0 or any newer version.

Have you launched IE lately though? When I did I was confronted with a EULA that had to agreed to and there was no way of canceling it other than end tasking IE. Unless of course they've gotten so much backlash in the past few days they could've changed something, that's speculation though and I won't be trying 28.0 or any newer version.

Yeah, I checked if it had messed with IE too and it wasn't installed in IE (and again no background processes while IE was running).

• Moderators
Yeah, I checked if it had messed with IE too and it wasn't installed in IE (and again no background processes while IE was running).

They must have changed it in the last few days then because that wasn't what it did at all just the other day.

I recently had it updated(I don't come here that often anymore ;) ) It updated fine for me, but I disabled the search bar that was added to the bottom of Firefox. But, then the next day, my mom got on and it updated for her and about 10 minutes later she calls me in here to show me how slow pages were loading. I checked the speed and the download speed was at a crawl, while the upload was pretty much the same. I disabled the SiteAdvisor add-on, restarted Firefox, and then everything loaded perfectly. However, I haven't noticed any speed changes for me with it still enabled.. :blink:

I don't use IE at all and the new process, McSACore.exe, is only using 5, 116K on my system. I'd rather not have another process though...

I like the idea of McAfee's SiteAdviser, but I don't really want to install it.

So I just check sites when I feel the need to.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/analysis/

Problem with that is it details allot of legwork especially when doing searches.

I use Yahoo which uses SearchScanBETA powered by McAfee.

Example: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=freeze.co...-8&fr=b2ie7