What I do to increse defragmentation speed A LOT!

Petrol

Hello. I use Defraggler on many computers (hundreds!) that comes to me for service. I allways used the latest version and it NEVER failed (never tryed on VISTA).

But I usualy do not use defraggler the way it wants. IT IS MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH FASTER the way I do it: I use "analyse" and then I take a look at the list of files. I re-order them using number-of-fragments and then -size-. I manually move the most defragmented files on another drive (takes me 1 minute) getting rid this way of some hundreds of fragments. Then I move a couple of extra large files to another drive, too (another minute) . Now I let Defraggler to do its job. At the end I manually put back at their places the previously moved files (1-2 minutes). The important thing is that when I put the files back the copy operation will put them in a contiguos free zone (the drive is allready defragnented, right?) so all the files are still defragmented!!!! This way I managed to shorten the defragmentation time A LOT.

Now,

What I suggest sounds like this AND IT IS VERY EASY FOR THE TEAM TO DO IT:

Every fragmented file in the list of fragmented files should have a check box in front of it and by checking it we can build a list of files that we want to move TEMPORARY to another drive where we have enough free space. Then we should choose the drive and folder to move the files to and then the dragmentation should begin. At the end of defragmentation Defraggler should put the previously moved files back.

Improvement:

the program could

-auto-mark some files accordingly to some criterions -how many fragments or how big the files are-

-suggest a drive with enough free space to move the selected files to.

I wait for your answers, moderators especialy. Thank you for your time.

You may comment my suggestion and maybe vote for its implementation :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I agree 100%. I do the same exact thing and I have always wondered why defrag programs don't have this feature which would speed things up considerably.

Moving files OUT of a drive temporarily and them moving them back in is the way to go for speed.

Some people move the entire contents of a drive from one drive to another as a way to defrag - that an over kill. All you need to do is move the files you know are deframented.

Hello.

You may comment my suggestion and maybe vote for its implementation :)

Very good tip. Thank you! :D

I defragged 4 huge files (each between 1 and 2 GB) in minutes this way.

Pentium4 3,00GHz - 2GB RAM - ATI Radeon X1950 PRO 256MB - 4xHDD = 1,36TB - XP Home SP3

What does that mean??? :blink:

Sorry, my bad.

I mean to say that I move Fragmented files out to a temporary drive and then move them back in to the original drive as a quick way to defrag.

Less wear and tear on the disks too generally speaking.

Joe

• Moderators

Sounds good in practice and all and I've actually did something similar before myself when dealing with huge lossless audio files to make them contiguous when I knew a defrag would take ages. I'm glad you found a faster way of defragmenting your drives. It would be rather interesting if a defrag program used its own reserved partition for such a task. Then again with some defrag tools that have built-in automated scheduled defragmentation it can always take place when the user isn't even using the computer, or during idle moments like reading this text.

The only thing that would worry me about this form of speeding things up, and I suppose what I'm thinking of at the moment would be a sort of caveat is "what if the other drive the files are moved to is failing or faulty."

Today I used the same method on a computer with a lot of very fragmented movies in the same folder. For testing purpose I let defraggler to do its job. At a moment I thought it stucked but the hdd led was red all the time so I stopped the process.

I MANUALLY MOVED the folder on another drive and it took me 4 minutes (SATA2 HDD!!). Then I let defraggler to work on a much lighter D: drive and it did it very fast (about 2-3 minutes). It took me 4 minutes to put back the movies manually (very unpleasant - the computer should do that for me) - and the total time for the entire job was 4+3+4 = 11 minutes. I could not obtain this time on a normal defrag not even in my happiest dreams.

So Piriform Team .. I love your product and I congratulate you for your work .. but please take in consideration some good ideas...

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...