SIW - System Information for Windows

davey

Every experienced member on the forums knows the extreme value of this freeware program.

If you don't have it, then get it. :) davey

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

SIW 2008-12-16 is available

SIW System Information for Windows

Everything you want to know about your system. Various builds available.

Warning Like other freeware providers there is a Tool Bar that is defaulted to install unless you UNCHECK

the box. It is a separate window that presents the Tool Bar offer and you must UNCHECK the box. I downloaded the full install version where this option was presented during the install process. I do not know about the other builds.

Added Tools ==> "Wake on LAN" Module see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Support for AMD Phenom II processor.

Support for the latest Intel Core 2 models.

Faster startup.

Sensors Info in Reports.

Minor improvements.

Bug fixes.

Old Version of SIW (Win95) Available from Download page (at bottom)

Edited by davey

I like Belarc Advisor

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I could not figure out what to download on my old PIII so I tried Lansweeper but I could not get it to work.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I like Belarc Advisor

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I could not figure out what to download on my old PIII so I tried Lansweeper but I could not get it to work.

I like and use Belarc Advisor also.

In SIW we have a standalone program that provides real time information on much more than what Belarc Advisor

provides. I would give up many other tools before I had to give up SIW.

:) davey

P.S. Kenny, you probably want to use just SIW itself as listed on the left hand side of this page.

Also check out the differeces in versions. http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

P.S. Kenny, you probably want to use just SIW itself as listed on the left hand side of this page.

Also check out the differeces in versions. http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

The SIW Standalone (English-Only) is not a valid Windows application.

SIW With Installer first thing I did not like was the pre-checked Crawler Toolbar

t2481_crawler.png

It does provide a lot of information but it is scattered over many pages and takes ages to compile the pages that mostly is provided on one page in Belarc Advisor.

I remember trying SIW ages ago and dumping it when I found Belarc Advisor as it provided me the information I needed faster.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Every experienced member on the forums knows the extreme value of this freeware program.

If you don't have it, then get it. :) davey

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

SIW 2008-12-16 is available

SIW System Information for Windows

Everything you want to know about your system. Various builds available.

Warning Like other freeware providers there is a Tool Bar that is defaulted to install unless you UNCHECK

the box. It is a separate window that presents the Tool Bar offer and you must UNCHECK the box. I downloaded the full install version where this option was presented during the install process. I do not know about the other builds.

Added Tools ==> "Wake on LAN" Module see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Support for AMD Phenom II processor.

Support for the latest Intel Core 2 models.

Faster startup.

Sensors Info in Reports.

Minor improvements.

Bug fixes.

Old Version of SIW (Win95) Available from Download page (at bottom)

Oh I love it when this happens. <_<Where is the stinking DOWNLOAD link for SIW? The page lists links for reviews and, of course, a huge honking download button for some other LAN app that I don't want. Why do they do this? :rolleyes:

What does that mean? I'm using the standalone version right now without problems.

Same here. I have been using just the program without any need for icons and uninstaller.

After my initial use about a year ago, I realized that this is one of those tools that needs to be safely hidden away somewhere. I do the same with Recuva, Secunia PSI, FileHippo Update Checker, Regedit and some others.

The other users of this PC would be doing things not in the best interest of trouble free computing. :lol: davey

What does that mean? I'm using the standalone version right now without problems.

I downloaded the file indicated but when I tried to run it the error appeared that it was not a valid Windows application.

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...

Odd problem with SIW current version. I have Sandboxie on my system but not running, even as a service. SIW is warning that it is running. ProcessExplorer says that it is not. Is SIW just seeing it as existing on the system and warning that it could be started?

• Moderators

When you use Sandboxie it starts two seperate processes running. One is "Sandboxie Control", (SbieCtrl.exe) which runs with the Control Window open or minimised to the System Tray.

The other process, SbieSvc.exe, continues running even when you exit the program and close the System Tray icon. It usually runs at only 0.5mb or less, and is no big deal, but if you like you can shut it down with Task Manager. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, End Process).

t613_Sandboxie.jpg

Could this be the one SIW is seeing, or are neither of these showing up in Task Manager?

Could this be the one SIW is seeing, or are neither of these showing up in Task Manager?

I had specifically killed the service before running SIW, so neither are currently showing up in Task Manager (or ProcessExplorer). However, the error doesn't directly say "sandboxie", but rather says "A virtual machine (like SANDBOX) is running". I wonder if it could be referring to something else? I have no other VMs intentionally running or even installed at this time.

20090103192701qc8.th.jpg

• Moderators

A virtual machine makes more sense. That will be Windows "Volume Shadow Service", Shadowservice.exe, which is used in the making of Backups or Disk Images of your system. It can make Backups of your system without everything having to be shut down.

Windows Backup uses it as do third party applications like Macrium Reflect.

What Is Volume Shadow Copy Service?:

Virtualization Technology:

Macrium Reflect:

No file with that name is running, directly or as svchost.

Might it run with a different name? I never noticed this error when running SIW before, but 2008-12-16 is a new version.

Are you guys getting this error as well? If it is a default service I would expect so.

Hmmm... I don't get it when I run an earlier version.

• Moderators

Damn, you've got me then. Offhand I don't know of another service or process apart from the Apps we know about, that would be designated as a Virtual Machine.

Could it be running under a different name? I don't know, sorry, but I'll have a poke around, and in the meantime minds infinitely greater than mine may be watching this thread with envious eyes, and slowly but surely they're making plans to post an answer.

(Who said that, or something very similar? And I haven't touched a drop)