restarted computer, now it doesn't work!

beatlebryce

I installed a program, EasyBurner, and it asked me to restart (not sure if it's relevant, but I'm letting you know anyways). I did, and instead of making the clicking noise of the cd drive and the other minor noises of a startup, they were repeating about 7-10 times. I've tried a few startups and each is like this. The worst part is that I have nothing to see on my monitor. I know my video card and monitor are fine, so that's not even an option. I can't even see the boot screen or driver load screen, so I know something is wrong beyond video feed. I waited for the time it would take to get to the Log in screen, then I typed my password and hit enter, and I heard the log on sound, so I know it's working that much. It made a little error sound, maybe something popped up, but again, my monitor indicates no activity Please help, I really need this fixed for a project I'm working on. Any more questions, just ask.

no, I literally cannot see anything. I don't even see the very first boot screens. the only way to boot in safe mode would be to guess the timing and position of that option and then select it, but i think that if i can't see it now, safe mode won't help much

• Moderators

Because when you startup in safe mode only things essential to windows etc are started, this can enable you to see if it's software that is causing problems, and then you can uninstall it in safe mode.

It's just one aspect of troubleshooting you could try.

Are you comfortable about giving safe mode a try?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The worst part is that I have nothing to see on my monitor. I know my video card and monitor are fine, so that's not even an option. I can't even see the boot screen or driver load screen, so I know something is wrong beyond video feed. I waited for the time it would take to get to the Log in screen, then I typed my password and hit enter, and I heard the log on sound, so I know it's working that much.

Did you try unplugging your Monitor and reconnecting at both ends. It may be a USB thing going on. You might also unplug some of your other USB items before Booting as well.

Did you also do any Hardware changes ?

Off course try all your Monitor buttons as well.

What do you mean by it made an error sound? PC Beeps? Or Windows errors sound ?

It made a little error sound, maybe something popped up, but again, my monitor indicates no activity Please help, I really need this fixed for a project I'm working on. Any more questions, just ask.

Good luck, :) davey

I know how to use safe mode and am very comfortable with it, but that's not an option. I am unable to see anything and my monitor says "no feed" and the light stays orange, instead of green, indicating there is no feed.

As for the hardware changes, A couple hours before, I used a camcorder and plug it in via usb. It automatically installed its drivers, and it went smoothly and said they were installed and the camcorder was ready for use. I will try readjusting the connections, and I removed my bluetooth adapter, so let's see what happens.

The error message made a sound that you hear when a little window pops up at the main desktop (dee doot stuff), ie something has a problem, etc.

I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Ok did the monitor check, both ends, but nothing. I don't see how my monitor would be the problem though.

The strangest thing is that the little sound it makes (possibly the hard drive starting up or something like that) which has always been present and is normal now makes the sound about 7-10 times and the LED HDD indicator blinks each time, which I guess would mean the hard drive keeps restarting. The noises and light indication happen about every 1-2 seconds and then it loads normally (sounding at least, I still have no control as I cannot see). This is why I'm doubting it's a video issue.. that and my monitor is only 2 months old. Any ideas?

I unplugged the SATA connections on the HDD and the mobo, and restarted. Progess i guess- it made normal startup sounds, so that's good, but i'm still receiving no video feed. Monitor still says no input. I have onboard video (disabled) and my monitor is plugged into my video card. Would I be able to plus it back into the onboard slot, or will it do nothing because it's completely disabled? Again, I'm seeing absolutely nothing from startup

Ok did the monitor check, both ends, but nothing. I don't see how my monitor would be the problem though.

The strangest thing is that the little sound it makes (possibly the hard drive starting up or something like that) which has always been present and is normal now makes the sound about 7-10 times and the LED HDD indicator blinks each time, which I guess would mean the hard drive keeps restarting. The noises and light indication happen about every 1-2 seconds and then it loads normally (sounding at least, I still have no control as I cannot see). This is why I'm doubting it's a video issue.. that and my monitor is only 2 months old. Any ideas?

I am not talking about video problems as much as USB problems. I would disconnect the camera etc.

Just see if you can reboot with your system as it was before. (In my recent readings I have seen a lot of USB related problems.They were resolved by setting things back as they were.Then at least they could track down things 1 step at a time.)

Also check keyboard and mouse connections. Put everything just as it was. Same ports etc.

Does your HDD flash codes when it is having problems?

Could you have messed up your Bios ?

I saw your other post. Are we talking about the same PC.?

No, this is a brand new problem. I have nothing plugged into USB. I can't see how my BIOS would've gotten messed up, but this issue is so strange, I won't count it out. I used my computer like normal, same ways I've done for the 2 years I have this. All I did that could possible have any influence is the program installation and the USB driver install which went smoothly

No, this is a brand new problem. I have nothing plugged into USB. I can't see how my BIOS would've gotten messed up, but this issue is so strange, I won't count it out. I used my computer like normal, same ways I've done for the 2 years I have this. All I did that could possible have any influence is the program installation and the USB driver install which went smoothly

You have deadline apparently.

Give us some model numbers and program names and such as regards this the cam and cd burner and we will see what we can find. Also PC information. :) davey

The cam is a Panasonic PV--GS32. The program was the EasyBurner v2.4. I can't tell you driver versions of what the cam installed. Everything seems normal except that I get no video. I can't think of what could cause that. Even seom driver problems from those two things wouldn't do that, would it?

I don't see how my monitor would be the problem though.

Why do you think the monitor is not the problem? Perhaps you just happened to get a video problem that has nothing to do with your easyburner install. About a year ago My PC had the very same symtoms and the problem was the monitor.

If you have a spare monitor or can beg or borrow one from a friend, try switching it out.

If that doesn't fix it, do the same with the video card. Don't worry about not having the right drivers. Windows will load a generic. Just get a card compatible with your motherboard and one your PS can handle.

If neither gambit works, at least you've eliminated the obvious, but its worth trying if you can find the spare hardware.

I hooked up my monitor the my laptop, and it was showing all the boot info along with it. From this it is easy to see that i works, so I need to figure out what to do now. My hard drive has gone back to doing multiple boot noises. Any ideas this time? I've needed thi to work all day, and it's getting really frustrating.. How can this issue be so obscure?

I hooked up my monitor the my laptop, and it was showing all the boot info along with it. From this it is easy to see that i works, so I need to figure out what to do now. My hard drive has gone back to doing multiple boot noises. Any ideas this time? I've needed thi to work all day, and it's getting really frustrating.. How can this issue be so obscure?

Where and how did you get EasyBurner ? Did you submit it for analysis before installing it ? :) davey

I scanned it and there were no viruses. The install went smoothly, too, and I had no reason to suspect anything. Did I submit it where for analysis? THis is really frustrating, how can no one know what to do.

EDITED

Did you try F8 or whatever your PC requires ?

Do you have any boot CD ? It seems like your monitor software is corrupted but I am no expert.

It could be video hardware just as well.

If you try any Boot CD and you still can't see anything than I would think that it is your video card or cable .

You can try a boot cd and it will have its own software for this. Then you can try to correct Drivers or whatever.

I need to check into this more.

Do you have the Windows Recovery Console already installed perhaps ? What happens if you try booting from your install CD ?

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. Black screen at boot Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155053

Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP Home or Pro

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

Cause 1 ****************************

This issue may occur if you have a CD, a DVD or a floppy disk in your CD, DVD, or floppy drive when you start the computer.

Edited by davey

How would I be able to get the correct drivers on there when I cannot see anything? Would I be able to see just from loading from a boot disk? This monitor is under warranty... should I just go replace it? How am I going to get on and run CHKDSK etc if I can't see? This is one of the hardest things I've come across.

How would I be able to get the correct drivers on there when I cannot see anything? Would I be able to see just from loading from a boot disk? This monitor is under warranty... should I just go replace it? How am I going to get on and run CHKDSK etc if I can't see? This is one of the hardest things I've come across.

Did you see my EDITED last post ? Is there something in your drives. New software could have made things different than before.

THe Boot CD has the good software and you should see something. IF you don't then then it could be hardware.

We are just trying to rule out any problems being caused by what you did today.

I understand your stress and frustration. CALM yourself. You are trying your best and that is all that you can do.

Right ?

:) davey

P.S. BTW, what are your specs PC and Software ?

P.S.S. You have proved that the monitor is working .

Perhaps I should be using the term "Recovery CD". Your friends may have one or you can create one. It will contain all the software that you need to "fix" your software. It is usually needed to load your Install CD onto another PC and then "build " a recovery CD. I have done one for my PC using UBCD4Win. I have not been through the process of using it but I have Booted with it and it works and all my favorite software is on it. I created mine on my PC. Just trying to stay ahead of the "boogeyman",crooks and other scary things. :P

You can also use a USB flash drive or DVD for your build.

You can start here and read about it and Home page etc.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm

Edited by davey

I realised something this morning- when the installer was doing its thing, I remember it installed K-Lite Codec Pack. I already have this codec pack, and if you don't know, having more than one is bad. Installing it was the only way to progress with the program installation, so I clicked yes without really thinking about it. I also thought the installer for it would recognise that I already have it installed, and then skip it. I was wrong though, and I think that might be the cause of all of this. It's the only logical thing I can think of.

I think this might be a two part problem.

1. my monitor driver is messed up, therefore I cannot see stuff. When I plugged it in with the laptop, I was only able to see the boot screen, but nothing past that (even after going in the BIOS and setting it to "Dual" mode with monitors. So I'm thinking I will just go exchange it and get a replacement?

2. The MBR or something along those lines is messed up too, hence what appears to be multiple loads (about 7) when I first power on. That would be a lot easier to fix once I can see :P .

So, as disappointing, worrying, and frustrating as this is, I'm feel that we are getting to the bottom of this, and the recovery can begin. Thanks so much for your help already

OK! PROGRESS! I am very pleased, in case you can't tell... :D

So anyways, I plugged the monitor into the agp slot on my mobo, and it worked. The problem is with the video card. With the card in the PCI-E slot, it makes the multiple boots, with it out, it loads normally. I've uninstalled the drivers, installed the latest, and still nothing. So, there is obviously some communication problem with the card to the rest of the computer. It's plugged in, etc, so this is a bit trickier. I went to the BIOS to make sure it's set to look for another thing other than the on board video and it is. I'm not sure what to do now. Is there something else in the BIOS I can alter to have it recognise the card?

• 3 weeks later...