.ogg to mp3

hazelnut

I would recommend you to keep it in the .ogg file format.

If you have Winamp it should be able to play .ogg (Ogg Vorbis) files, and if cant then look for the plugin.

.ogg have better compression than .mp3 which results in smaller file size (less diskspace, faster downloads).

It also has greater audio quality than mp3.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
I would recommend you to keep it in the .ogg file format.

If you have Winamp it should be able to play .ogg (Ogg Vorbis) files, and if cant then look for the plugin.

.ogg have better compression than .mp3 which results in smaller file size (less diskspace, faster downloads).

It also has greater audio quality than mp3.

Yup. I only wish people would learn that trancoding is evul, it introduces more artifacts, and the diminished quality is a nightmare! The .ogg can also be played back in the free player Foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org

• Moderators
so Andavari are you using *.ogg also...?

Only sometimes now, I used to use it all the time when I was archiving 2000+ audio CD's from my collection.

I'm only interested in archival quality audio, e.g.; the inability to tell the encoded file apart from the original audio CD, this requires either lossless encoding, or by using Varible Bitrate (VBR) high quality switches with the lossy encoders.

I now mostly use WavPack which is lossless, however going lossless means you don't care about hard disk space. This is what I use when I buy a new audio CD.

When I want to use a lossy format I use MusePack (MPC), since it offers the best quality for lossy encodings when starting with the quality switch profile: --standard or --quality 5

For mp3 I only use the heavily tested Hydrogenaudio.org compile of LAME 3.90.3 to encode mp3's, using --alt-preset standard which encodes with VBR from the Hydrogenaudio.org List of recommended LAME settings, and here's the reason why to use a particular LAME compile.

Note: MP3 is still needed if you want to have the best wide-based compatibility with just about everything from portable players to home dvd players.

---

Some more info:

MPC, OGG, and lossless encoders are gapless, you can encode live tracks separately without any noticable gaps.

MP3 isn't gapless, you'll hear noticable gaps in-between gapless tracks that flow into each other.

• Moderators

\The reason I asked about changing .ogg to mp3 was to put them on my mp3 player for when I am at work. I thought that if I left it as an .ogg file I wouldn't be able to drag it from my nero media to my mp3 player. Is there a way?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
\The reason I asked about changing .ogg to mp3 was to put them on my mp3 player for when I am at work.  I thought that if I left it as an .ogg file I wouldn't be able to drag it from my nero media to my mp3 player. Is there a way?

Not if you mp3 player doesn't play .ogg!

It's a shame really because ogg is a popular open format that's been around for years, and it doesn't have the same licensing royalties (b.s.) that mp3 does.

MP3 isn't gapless, you'll hear noticable gaps in-between gapless tracks that flow into each other.

True there are gaps, but programs like iTunes and the whole iPod revelution has basically gotten rid of these gaps using overlap, which also is nice bc it simulates the club/radio feel of continuous music.

• Moderators
True there are gaps, but programs like iTunes and the whole iPod revelution has basically gotten rid of these gaps using overlap, which also is nice bc it simulates the club/radio feel of continuous music.

That definately beats encoding a whole album to one mp3, or worse having to edit multiple source .wav tracks with custom fade-out's and fade-in's to separate each track before encoding.