Leaves System Volume Information

Recoil

Every time i finish defragging, i always have fragmented files which mounts over 10GB's. After analysing for the second time, the fragmented files always seem to be "System Volume Information". This seems to appear 3 times on the same list, all with different sizes just like this:

{88c7f275-bfac-11dd-9bc2-0019b965804e}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}	15	6492520448	C:\System Volume Information\{c7f3d6-bfac-11dd-9bc2-0019b965804e}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}	6	5804654592	C:\System Volume Information\{d6d8cd58-bff5-11dd-9829-0019b965804e}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}	5	2202009600	C:\System Volume Information\

Just a little bug? It also shows the majority of my drive being fragmented, probably due to this.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit.

R

Just a little bug? It also shows the majority of my drive being fragmented, probably due to this.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit.

R

Hi Recoil,

Welcome to the Forums !!! :D

You hit the "nail on the head". Vista will create new System Restore Points even with Defraggler running.

Just let Vista do it's thing. It will continue to to create these monsters and it will also release the space.

Wish I could explain it in more predictable manner but every user's Vista PC is different. Premium does back you up better so at least you have that comfort. Believe me, Vista does strange things but for your benefit.

If you ever got every file "completely" defragmented on a Vista machine it would be a rare and very temporary event. Any fragment 64 MB or more is no worry, honest !

:) davey

Thanks for the info.

I have just turned off System Restore, gained about 15-20GB and my "Fragmented" files have gone. I have no fragmented files on my HDD :lol:

However, defraggler seems to leave a few files dotted around the HDD and not placing it with the bulk of the data.

R

Thanks for the info.

I have just turned off System Restore, gained about 15-20GB and my "Fragmented" files have gone. I have no fragmented files on my HDD :lol:

However, defraggler seems to leave a few files dotted around the HDD and not placing it with the bulk of the data.

R

I would advise turning System Restore back on. It is too valuable to you. System Restore is much better on Vista than XP.

Some of those files may be unmovable.

:) davey

Some of those files may be unmovable.

Ahh, that explains that.

I would advise turning System Restore back on. It is too valuable to you. System Restore is much better on Vista than XP.

I'd rather have the space i think, if push comes to shove, i'll just do a reformat - i do this every 2-3months anyway :lol:

R