From Firefox to Chrome: Why I made the switch

YoKenny

From Firefox to Chrome: Why I made the switch

Comment: The need for speed

By Stephen Shankland

The browser wars are heating up, especially with the introduction of Google's Chrome. But has it got the steam to compete? Stephen Shankland tells why he's jumping aboard

Sorry if it sounds like I'm drinking the Google Kool-Aid here but I switched from Mozilla Firefox to Google Chrome as my default browser for the very reason Google's executives said we should: speed.

http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,390...39351999,00.htm

It works great on my old 500MHZ PIII

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

So is IE8 beta2 that I use on it that works quite well for being such an old system.

I use it as a test system as I am not concerned if it acts up as I have a bootable image on CD that I can restore to in a short while.

I'm looking forward to IE8 when it comes out.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Better article:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/chrome_firefox

Dear Firefox:

When we met three years ago, I thought: This is it, the browser I've been waiting for. I've found my life partner. So I dumped Internet Explorer faster than you can say ?unrecoverable system error? and we moved in together. Sure, we had our ups and downs over the years, but overall it was great. Really.

Then, last September, Google Chrome came into my life. I admit I was totally infatuated.

:P

------

I dont see how anyone can use chrome as their only browser. Its missing so many basic features that it just doesn't cut it for me. But if you like going back to IE4 in terms of features than by all means feel free.

I tested Google Chrome little under four weeks back and it still had issues with SilverLight so I have left it. Otherwise, I was happy to go to Google Chrome.

I'm looking forward to IE8 when it comes out.

I don't know why. :unsure:

Its missing so many basic features that it just doesn't cut it for me.

I see what you mean, but I can't from off the top of my head think of one? Minus spell checker. :huh:

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

I tried out chrome but as has been mentioned it's so basic it was not very good for me since I am used to using heavily modified FF and Opera. Chrome has some serious potential though if and when it gets extension support. There is a huge community that will make extensions for it. Hopefully they will integrate some of the great Google applications into it. You would think the Google Tool Bar or most of it's feature would be built right in. Gmail, Google Bookmarks, Calendar etc should be right there. I give chrome a year if that and it will be a much different browser than it is now.

i gave it a try and right now have zero interest. but i can definately see the potential for it to grow into a great browser. There are things i like about all the main browsers out there, but, just like everything from cars, to computers, to houses, there is never the perfect one with everything.

Chrome Extensions Coming Soon!

by Chrome Blog on December 4, 2008

The Chromium folk have published a document detailing information about the long awaited ability to extend Chrome with user selected Extensions/Addons like FireFox.

http://www.chromeplugins.org/extensions/ch...ons-coming-soon

IE7Pro user

i gave it a try and right now have zero interest. but i can definately see the potential for it to grow into a great browser. There are things i like about all the main browsers out there, but, just like everything from cars, to computers, to houses, there is never the perfect one with everything.

And women.

Bo Deric in 10 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_(film)

Ursula Andress in Dr. No http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055928

Ashley Judd in Double Jeopardy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150377

Now only if I had Bill Gates' money and Sean Connery's looks.

IE7Pro user

• 1 year later...

Ok, to end all this discussion:

What browser:

- Still installs on Windows 98/ME? --> Opera is the only one. Firefox 2 is sloowww!

- Is the fastest? Tossup. Each week, it seems IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari, The World, Firefox release a "newer, faster, more secure, better" browser.

- Is the easiest to use? IE9 seems most basic, so IE9 is easiest.

- Is the most secure? IE -> Active-X exploits / Chrome -> Doesn't fully block ads / Safari -> Still trying / Opera -> Seems buggy / Firefox -> Best so far.

- Is the most stable? IE -> Crashes on multiple tabs / Chrome -> Getting better, not quite there / Opera -> Buggy, diminishing tabs / Firefox -> Best so far.

- Works the best? IE -> Problems rendering certain sites / Opera -> Same as IE / Safari -> Decent / Chrome -> Good / Firefox -> Good

What browser should you use?

- Older OS -> Opera

- Slower system -> Chrome

- Fast system, updated windows -> Firefox

In conclusion:

If you have a fairly fast machine with a fairly up-to-date OS, Firefox seems to have the best overall package as far as stability/layout for usability/most powerful ad blocking plugins/best user experience overall.

Firefox runs well if you have the CPU/Ram/OS to support it.

The above is from my personal tests.

P.S. IE is awful at acid tests, B).

• Moderators

The discussion ended nearly two years ago. Please don't open old threads, MrDon, it's annoying and irrelevant. Start a new topic if you have anything you want to say.