multiple user accounts on Vista

JoeyRiv

Hello, 1st off I just assumed that with 3 user accounts on my Vista Home Premium OS, I had to download CCleaner under each user account - one at a time. Does anyone know if this is correct? Also, my user account is set up as the Admin, and the other 2 accounts are standard users. Now I've been having some kind of Java issues with the 2 standard user accounts: ie... I can't open my email, my kids say there are apps on myspace that don't work (like music that is suppose to automatically play but doesn't under the standard user accounts). Also when I try to download programs like CCleaner, from the standard accounts I go through the whole process, and it looks like it's downloading, then I click, "Finish," and the program's not there. Now, I'm able to open my email and download programs under my user account just fine, CCleaner works just fine, but not under the other 2 accounts. Also, for some reason I can't download Adobe Flash Player on the 2 standard user accounts. When I click, "Install Now," nothing happens, and unlike with my admin account, the bar at the top of IE that you click to download does not appear. If anyone can please help me that would be really nice.

Thanks.

I can't help you with all your problems but I can answer one or two of your questions. You do not have to download CCleaner under each user account as long as you are saving the file as a program in the systems program files. All the files saved as program files are accesible to all the users however some users may be restricted from doing certain things under the standard account. I.E removing, deleting, amending etc. When using CCleaner some functions require administrative privilege, this is a mechanizm to avoid unwanted errors from occuring.

Because the other accounts are standard some programs you install will not work under those accounts at all. I had downloaded Ares P2P sharing for music downloads and I was able to use the program under my admin account but my husband, a standard user, was unable to access the program unless he right clicked and selected run as administrator, at which point a password was required. I am really not sure why that is and even after changing the rights for his user to full control he was still unable to access the program. Hope I have been a bit of a help. Good luck!

I can't help you with all your problems but I can answer one or two of your questions. You do not have to download CCleaner under each user account as long as you are saving the file as a program in the systems program files. All the files saved as program files are accesible to all the users however some users may be restricted from doing certain things under the standard account. I.E removing, deleting, amending etc. When using CCleaner some functions require administrative privilege, this is a mechanizm to avoid unwanted errors from occuring.

Because the other accounts are standard some programs you install will not work under those accounts at all. I had downloaded Ares P2P sharing for music downloads and I was able to use the program under my admin account but my husband, a standard user, was unable to access the program unless he right clicked and selected run as administrator, at which point a password was required. I am really not sure why that is and even after changing the rights for his user to full control he was still unable to access the program. Hope I have been a bit of a help. Good luck!

Okay, thanx - yeah that makes sense. I believe your right, I'll have to research some more on that.