Cookies reported but not there (false positive)

Hmm

This is new. I have the latest CCleaner running XP Pro. I never had this problem until recently.

I check my cookies in CCleaner and while I do have some that I always keep, CCleaner reports about 6 that are there even after cleaning. I checked with a 3rd party cookie cleaner and the cookies aren't there.

Anyone else have this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, rev 2.14.75. I have two cookies that all efforts have failed to erase. If I knew where CCleaner looks for the cookies I could go there and erase them. They are probably corrupted so that they are read but the delete code does not recognize them.

This is new. I have the latest CCleaner running XP Pro. I never had this problem until recently.

I check my cookies in CCleaner and while I do have some that I always keep, CCleaner reports about 6 that are there even after cleaning. I checked with a 3rd party cookie cleaner and the cookies aren't there.

Anyone else have this issue?

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with cookies.

The Cookies screen is filled with cookies from Internet Explorer, Firefox/Mozilla, Opera (new in v2.14.750) and Google Chrome.

Can you please let us know which of the above you have installed on your machine?

Can you please provide us with a list of cookies not being deleted?

Thank you

I am also having the same problem. Just installed the latest version and transferd the cookies I wanted to keep and then did a clean. After it completed, it still had most if not all of the cookies in the delete list.

I then uninstalled this latest version and installed the earlier version and did it again. Still the same thing, it keeps showing cookies in the left list and either will not get ride of them or it is false positive.

I reinstalled the latest again after uninstalling the other and still the same.

I can run SuperAdBlocker and it does not show those cookies in the list. So I am believeing it is false positive.

Here are a few that it shows: Adobe.com, Bloomberg.com, live.com and about 50 others.

If I can help out in anyway, please let me know.

PS: I am only running Windows explorier 7 and I am using vista sp1.

Thank you very much.

sOulbAit

I got rid of it....I used smartyinstaller again and this time I downloaded an even older version: 2.10.618

It works, give it a try and let me know. ;)

The older version works but later using the latest version causes the rogue cookies to reappear.

XP/SP3 and Firefox 3.04

The older version works but later using the latest version causes the rogue cookies to reappear.

XP/SP3 and Firefox 3.04

Hi guys,

Using the older versions is not a solution.

The cookies are in so many places now it is hard for CCleaner to keep up. Especially with so many Beta versions of Browsers.

Just remember to look where MrT listed above.

Good luck,

:) davey "Rogue cookies" sounds ominous. :lol:

P.S. A list of "cookies" and which browsers that you used to get them would certainly help MrT to track down what is going on.

Just installed the latest version and still not working correctly. I still have about 30 cookies in the delete list and it will not remove them. My SuperAdBlocker says there are no cookies to delete, so I guess they are still bogess.

Why is CCleaner picking ups these bogess cookies? All the cookies it shows are from the past. Is there a file on the computer that holds this info, that I need to delete so CCleaner will start fresh?

Windows Vista SP1, Windows Explorer 7.

Thanks

sOulbAit

Same problem here. installed new ver. 2.14.763. XP/SP3

shows 14 cookies are left. No matter what tools used to remove all Cookies. they still show up.

moved one cookie to the right side (cookies to keep), then moved it back to the left (cookies to delete) ran cleaner. said it removed the subject cookie, but it still shows up in the list of cookies to delete. :blink:

Welcome Bobz145

Looks like it could be a Vista issue as I do not see the problem with XP.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The problem/bug seems to be with treating Opera cookies.

When on the main screen I right-click "Cookies", it currently shows 4 cookies to delete; in Options -> Cookies, it shows about a hundred (though they do not exist in the IE cookies folder, they seem to be Opera cookies).

After running the cleaner, CCleaner deletes the four cookies that appeared on the main screen but all the others remain in the list.

After deleting Opera cookies in Opera, they are gone frome the CCleaner list.

(Version 2.14.763.)

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the valuable information. It seems that this problem has started with version 2.14.750.

Cleaning Opera cookies has just been added to CCleaner in the last version. We are looking into the problem.

Opera saves cookies in a file called cookies4.dat which is normally located under

Vista:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\profile

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile

Could anyone experiencing the problem post a cookies4.dat file so we can analyze it?

Thank you

In my case (post # 8 of this thread), there was an old folder saved in the path " _Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Google",

most likely leftover from a Chrome test i performed some months ago. Deleting it the problem have been completely solved. Sorry for bother, i should have check this thing before posting. <_<

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

In my case (post # 8 of this thread), there was an old folder saved in the path " _Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Google",

most likely leftover from a Chrome test i performed some months ago. Deleting it the problem have been completely solved. Sorry for bother, i should have check this thing before posting. <_<

Thanks Whiteshark:

This was also what was causing my problem with false cookies. I went to the directory you mentioned and yes I had a google/Chrome dirctory from when I gave Chrome a test. When I uninstalled Chrome, it did not remove this directory. I manually uninstalled this directory and now my false positive cookies are gone.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Using the older versions is not a solution.

The cookies are in so many places now it is hard for CCleaner to keep up. Especially with so many Beta versions of Browsers.

Just remember to look where MrT listed above.

Good luck,

:) davey "Rogue cookies" sounds ominous. :lol:

P.S. A list of "cookies" and which browsers that you used to get them would certainly help MrT to track down what is going on.

Nonsense. I just installed 2.11 and the cookies are not there. I downgraded from the latest 2.14 because the cookies WERE there.

I dont have chrome installed, but I did at one point and the directory is not present. Safari is present but no cookies stored, Opera present, no cookies stored.

There is a problem with CCleaner. period. i am running windows xp sp3.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem. In my case Opera's cookiemanager is to blame.

Delete cookies in Opera, they seem gone. Check again, they are back.

Several threads in opera forums confirm this (just search on cookie manager).

For example: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=256919

Another way to check is, open cookies4.dat in a texteditor, and you will see the cookies are still there.

Raheem,

Thank you so much for your report.

Some Opera users either past or present have been reporting problems with their cookies.

We were not sure where the problem was occurring. This thread seem to show that this has been a long standing problem. Some of the current Opera users are having a hard to impossible time getting this Opera "cookies file" cleaned.

Please keep us up-to-date when you find future information.

Thanks again, :) davey