A:\ Drive Query Question

Tom AZ

I have internal floppy and CD drives (in addition to my external harddrive). When I launch a number of my programs, they first query my A:\ (floppy) drive and I really don't understand why this happens. There really is no reason for it and it should be totally unnecessary. Could this be a bios (setting) issue -- or is it something else?

• Moderators

This has been mentioned on the forums at least a couple of times before about the query of the floppy drive. For me CCleaner's secure deletion causes it each and every time.

I don't know why that happens and I'm in the same boat as you on this issue. Many programs query the floppy drive for no apparent reason known to me, and it's super annoying which is why my next system won't have a floppy drive.

Floppies are just too unreliable since they get bad sectors even if not used. For restoration purposes floppies are not the way to go anymore they're just too limited, instead look into bootable CDs/DVDs which easily take their place with such programs like the free BartPE, etc.

Well Tom I can only tell you about Win98SE so the setup will be slightly different. Right-click in My Computer, select Performance tab and File Systems button and Floppy Disk tab in 98 there a checkbox that says Search new floppies disk drives each time your computer starts, just remove the check if it has one.

I've noticed on my WinXP drive the floppy clicks away when Windows starts up, I haven't checked if this option is available on WinXP. ;)

Edit: I've check my WinXP and this option isn't available.

Edited by Keithuk

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well Tom I can only tell you about Win98SE so the setup will be slightly different. Right-click in My Computer, select Performance tab and File Systems button and Floppy Disk tab in 98 there a checkbox that says Search new floppies disk drives each time your computer starts, just remove the check if it has one.

I've noticed on my WinXP drive the floppy clicks away when Windows starts up, I haven't checked if this option is available on WinXP. ;)

Edit: I've check my WinXP and this option isn't available.

perhaps your BIOS has been set to boot up from the floppy drive first, hence it flashes / clicks away before then booting from the next boot option, probably the hard drive. If you know how to access your BIOS you can change the boot order if you so wished. See the documentation for your motherboard if you want to change this option. Or if you know how to access the BIOS and feel comfortable changing settings in there, then change the boot order. This isn't the same as the problem outlined by Tom AZ though, as that seems to happen while the computer is up and running rather than at computer startup. Or at least I don't think it is, so it shouldn't be a BIOS issue for Tom.

I don't have a floppy drive so have disabled the floppy drive option (which was enabled by default), but my boot order is set to CD drive first, then hard drive. This is because sometimes I use a Live Linux disk (which boots at computer startup from a CD) and it saves having to keep accessing the BIOS to change boot order. I also have a myriad of CDs for testing RAM, emergency startup and recovery disks etc, so again I have the choice of accessing these disks without having to mess about with changing settings in the BIOS in case of emergency.

On my last computer which did have a floppy drive I had that drive set as the first boot option (hence the lights would flash, the drive click etc) because I had an emergency startup floppy disk.

perhaps your BIOS has been set to boot up from the floppy drive first,

My BIOS is always set to boot from floppy first but it makes no different on Win98SE. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best