Windows XP Service Pack 3

Keithuk

• Moderators
This is only recommended if the installation fails.

During something as critical as an SP install I always disable the installed antivirus. Also disabling third-party firewalls and only having Windows Firewall resident may alleviate many headaches.

In some cases on some systems, some installations (talking about installations in general) can fail if not ran from drive C:, I don't know why but I've seen it a good amount of times.

During something as critical as an SP install I always disable the installed antivirus. Also disabling third-party firewalls and only having Windows Firewall resident may alleviate many headaches.

In some cases on some systems, some installations (talking about installations in general) can fail if not ran from drive C:, I don't know why but I've seen it a good amount of times.

Good point Andavari but I'm just trying to look at the file, there is no icon, I have it on a flash drive. If you just double-click it, it locks explorer this is in Win98SE. I know it won't install on there I'm just waiting for the incorrect operating system message but I don't see anything. The same happens on WinXP. This is exactly the same for both downloads. :angry:

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I can't understand all the talk about opening the ISO. There's absolutely no need to do that.

If you download the ISO from my link, you burn that ISO, a single file, straight onto a CD with something like Ashampoo, which has a "burn ISO to disk" feature. It couldn't be easier.

That doesn't just burn that 1 file onto the CD, it automatically opens the ISO and installs these file/folders, and is then ready to Auto run when you stick it in the drive. This is my SP3 CD:

t459_SP3ISO.jpg

This is from Ashampoo:

How to burn a disc from an image file ...

Creates a disc from a disc image file. The resulting CD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc has the same contents as the CD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc that was originally used to create the disc image.

• Moderators
I can't understand all the talk about opening the ISO. There's absolutely no need to do that.

Exactly! The ISO is for people that don't want to mess around compiling their own setup disc, it's all pre-made and instantly ready for burning after being downloaded. Of course the appropriate burning software is needed and many freeware burners support ISO such as Ashampoo Burning Studio Free, ImgBurn, DeepBurner Free, etc...

• Moderators
I'm just trying to look at the file, there is no icon

Depending upon the size of an EXE when a certain filesize is reached I think there's a limitation as an icon will no longer show up, even if one is used. I've personally dealt with this using WinRAR SFX, 7Z SFX, WinZip SFX, etc. Many archivers like 7-Zip, etc., can be used to check the integrity of SFX archives by testing them for corruption.

Try downloading it to a different media or drive.

I don't have one at work. My hard drive is that full I have to download to our server then to the flash drive.

Andavari I downloaded 7-Zip and its a waste of time. It only extracts then same file as WinRAR the Readme.txt. :angry:

To be honest I'm not that bothered about SP3. What are the honest advantages of installing it? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
To be honest I'm not that bothered about SP3. What are the honest advantages of installing it? ;)

I don't know what your 7-Zip issue is, but then again opening and extracting an ISO versus doing the typical burning of it could possibly have different results.

The advantage of updating is all the security fixes are all in one package, plus various other fixes which are probably undocumented.

There is no advantage to installing it if you have SP2 installed and fully updated. If you do a reinstall of XP than it makes sense to install SP3 because it includes all the updates since XP was released and you can install them in one package. I think if MS released SP4 tomorrow and it was just all the updates since SP3 was released you would see everybody jump to install it like they did with SP3 even though you really don't get anything you already don't have. SP2 was different it included some major new features.

I don't know what your 7-Zip issue is, but then again opening and extracting an ISO versus doing the typical burning of it could possibly have different results.

The advantage of updating is all the security fixes are all in one package, plus various other fixes which are probably undocumented.

I downloaded 7-Zip 4.57.

Over the years I've downloaded WinXP SP1, SP1a and SP2 and burned them to CD's ready for when I got WinXP. They both downloaded and showed icons and burned without a problem. They would even unpack ready to install but you get the usual dll missing of 98.

I know what service packs are and what they contain. I was just wondering if its worth the hassle at the moment. Everytime I use XP you get the download useful updates icon in the systray and I download them. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Short update:

I've downloaded it again of M$. Again no icon but that doesn't really matter because I downloaded critical updates for WinXP other the weekend and most of them did't have icons but they would all open with WinZip.

Anyway I can double-click it in Win98 and you get the normal error dll missing which I would expect. Both the other version I downloaded did nothing at all. I will switch drivers tomorrow and see what happens.

P.S. In with these critical updates was a file that checks Windows counterfeit produces. No problem I downloaded one of those last week installed, restarted and everything works ok. This time I installed it did a restart and at the Welcome screen I get a message this Windows maybe counterfeit with a check now button and check later. Check now does nothing only locks the computer. So use check later and it starts up. No desktop picture and a counterfeit message in the bottom right and a star iocn in the systray. Now it you right-click on the star you have various options so a chose to confirm online.

You go to M$ and click a few checkboxes and you enter your CD-Key in the boxes and the check. Message come back this number isn't valid. This is bull I registered online with M$ a couple of weeks ago. The return massage was thank you for registering Windows XP your details will be entered into our database. So why can't they check the database?

Anyway it makes a couple of apps running all the time. I can't remember there names at the moment I have them at home. If you End Task them they come straight back before you have chance to switch to Explorer and Windows\System32 to delete them.

So Add/Remove look at the list of updates and that one you can't uninstall, bas****s. If I have know I wouldn't have installed it in the first place. Going back on the web link and reading all the blurb it says it can't be uninstalled.

Anyway first system restore don't, thats the only way to remove it. Now I didn't realise with WinXP the system restore removes all files that have been added since the restore point. Which means I had to install half a dozen items that installed since.

Now I made a comment on another post in here taking about the system restore and the user lost loads and loads of pictures. I said a true system restore only restores the registry to an early point, as I understood it. It removes apps as well, I have have to add a P.S. to that one.

Sorry to bore you guys/gals. I will see if SP3 works tomorrow. ;)

Edit: The two files are Wuauclt.exe and Wgatray.exe. Now doing a web search for these people are saying End Task it and delete them but you can't. By the time you have End Tasked and switched to Windows\System32 folder and pressed del they are up and running again. Other sites say cmd /c "del %windir%\system32\wgatray.exe" but I can't see how you can delete it if its running. Other sites say don't remove them else thinks won't work correctly. It Wgatray.exe isn't running you won't be able to download or install updates. So god help these people that have updates downloaded and installed automatically. ;)

Edit: I've found out what Wuauclt.exe is its the update checker I didn't notice that before. Thats another thing if Wuauclt.exe when Windows starts and you doble-click on the systray icon it shows a list of needed updates. How the hell does it know? I don't have a permanent web connection so where does it get this info from? :angry:

Edited by Keithuk

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok todays update of SP3.

I run the exe and it unpacks all the files into the temp folder, so the unpacker works this time. You click on the usual agree statements then it starts to make a backup of the original files. This is good because I know you can uninstall SP3 if need be. I leave it for 30 minutes backing up which takes for ever then it shows a not responding message in the title bar. Everyting is locked and nothing can be done only reset.

Restart and delete the temp folder and unpack again. Then we have the same process not responding lock up, so this SP3 is s**t. M$ offer a SP3 CD in the States for free, why don't they offer it worldwide for the cost of P&P?

Then you wonder why I'm still using Win98SE? Because that works perfectly, no hickups, crashes the only bug is IE6 SP1. I'm not happy with WinXP the way it acts and reponds. Even when you have to do a reset it tries to startup but it get to the welcome screen and stops there for 10 minutes or until I reset again. Another time it will get to the desktop but there are no icons or taskbar so reset again.

I have 12 flash drives of different sizes mainly 2Gb. All of them show and work in XP apart from one. USB device not recognised, well they ALL work perfectly on 98, so again XP is crap. Now most of you XP users haven't used Win98SE or WinME apart from Andavari. So how you can say its the best thing since sliced bread when you have nothing to compare it with beats me. ;)

Oh another thing I can't get into Safe Mode. The usual tap F8 select Safe Mode then the welcome screen come up with Administrator or Keith. Well I'm admin in both so I click admin and the restarts the computer. I do the same and select Keith and guess what restart again. :angry:

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

What XP Windows Genuine Advantage bug was documented I believe with SP2 locking people out of their legitimately purchased XP installation. Microsoft "supposedly fixed it."

Now most of you XP users haven't used Win98SE or WinME apart from Andavari.

I still have an old computer laying around with Win98 on it. I only keep it really for backing up some critical files from the XP machine and playing really old PC games that my XP system can't begin to use correctly even in compatibility mode. Although you couldn't begin to pay me enough to use Win9x/Me on a daily basis, I have fond memories of the damned VxD bug in Win98 that always spelled out a format and reinstall.

I have used Win95, Win98, Win98SE and WinME plus a few versions of DOS.

M$ offer a SP3 CD in the States for free, why don't they offer it worldwide for the cost of P&P?

I ordered the SP3 CD and it came quite quickly so I guess you would have to talk to Microsoft UK to find out why they do not offer it.

Oh another thing I can't get into Safe Mode. The usual tap F8 select Safe Mode then the welcome screen come up with Administrator or Keith. Well I'm admin in both so I click admin and the restarts the computer. I do the same and select Keith and guess what restart again.

That sounds like a driver problem.

Switch off Auto reboot and then you will get the beloved BSOD that will show you the failing module then you can find out who it belongs to then see if there is an updated driver.

In Control Panel/Systems/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings Clear the Automatically Restart flag.

I had to do this recently when avast! started to crash on me and it brought back a few memories I must say Ed Grimley.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

That sounds like a driver problem.

Switch off Auto reboot and then you will get the beloved BSOD that will show you the failing module then you can find out who it belongs to then see if there is an updated driver.

In Control Panel/Systems/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings Clear the Automatically Restart flag.

Whats BSOD Kenny? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

Google it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Whats BSOD Kenny?

It's ironic how you ask the question in blue. :P

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

Yes I thought about it later.

I've never seen a BSOD apart from when I try to install WinXP. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Yes I thought about it later.

I've never seen a BSOD apart from when I try to install WinXP. ;)

If I remember correctly the system is automatically rebooting?

If yes then disable automatic reboot like I indicated earlier.

I think that the installation of SP3 enables auto reboot and if I remember so did SP2.

IE7Pro user

I think that the installation of SP3 enables auto reboot and if I remember so did SP2.

But I haven't installed SP3 it crashes out, not responding, 3 times I've tried it. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I tried that Kenny but it still restarts when trying to access Safe Mode. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I tried that Kenny but it still restarts when trying to access Safe Mode. ;)

Well all I can offer is rip-poems7.gif

Doc Bones to Captain Kirk

Its dead Jim

Monty Python Parrot sketch:

Its pining for the fjords

Its pushing up daises

William Shakespeare

It has shuffled off this mortal coil

http://www.artofeurope.com/shakespeare/sha8.htm

IE7Pro user