Windows XP Service Pack 3

Keithuk

Hi guys/gals.

Right I now have Windows XP SP2 on another drive and I was wondering where I can download SP3. I've tried Microsoft and the file appears to be corrupt.

I've also tried Download.com but that appears to be corrupt as well.

Do you know of anymore reliable links?

At 325Mb its a big file to download. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I ordered the free XP SP3 CD and you can choose the shipping method then it arrived in just a couple of days:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...mp;mg_id=20399b

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Hi Keith, I got mine from here from a link Humpty posted a while back.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/114...xp-sp-3-cd.aspx

It's an ISO Image you burn straight to CD, and then it autoruns when you shove it in the drive. Of course this method also gives you a CD backup.

Worked flawlessly for me after turning everything off. AV, Firewall etc.. The thread is probably worth a read, although I didn't install it until after then.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry107050

How do you figure that is free? They want your credit card number and charge you for the CD.
It is just to cover the shipping costs that for me was about $10.00 for two CDs for myself and my friend who only has a low speed DSL connection.

I guess if you have a high speed connection then downloading the huge ISO then burning it to a CD that is able to be read on one of the plethora of bargain basement CD readers that come with the bargain basement systems these days then it should be OK.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

It is just to cover the shipping costs that for me was about $10.00 for two CDs for myself and my friend who only has a low speed DSL connection.

I guess if you have a high speed connection then downloading the huge ISO then burning it to a CD that is able to be read on one of the plethora of bargain basement CD readers that come with the bargain basement systems these days then it should be OK.

I would consider ordering it but I don't want to give my credit card number just for $10.

• Moderators

This is all a bit much isn't it.

I assume the CD you sent for will eventually end up in the same "bargain basement CD readers" that come with the same "bargain basement systems" you wax so lyrically about.

For the benefit of Keith, the not so huge file downloaded quite quickly, and was burned successfully with my "bargain basement" CD/DVD writer on my "bargain basement" system.

This is all a bit much isn't it.

I assume the CD you sent for will eventually end up in the same "bargain basement CD readers" that come with the same "bargain basement systems" you wax so lyrically about.

For the benefit of Keith, the not so huge file downloaded quite quickly, and was burned successfully with my "bargain basement" CD/DVD writer on my "bargain basement" system.

I also downloaded it no problem and burned it with out issue and installed it on a machine that I had to reinstall Windows on.

I used the link in the thread you mentioned in your previous post. That's not a Microsoft site though. Is there a link to the ISO of SP3 on Microsoft's site? I haven't seen one when I was looking around.

• Moderators

Alsp downloaded mine and burnt it to dvd as a backup. Have saved the iso on an external as well.

This is what I downloaded, and had no problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've had problems downloading ISO files. I downloaded Visual Studio 2008 Express, its a 894MB iso. Now WinRAR opens iso files but it only shows a Readme.txt in there which says This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.. Its supposed to burn to 3 DVD's. On the M$ site is says to use Nero and Roxio. The contents of image files can be used as virtual discs using utilities such as ISObuster, Daemon Tools or Virtual CloneDrive.

I've tried WinISO but that doesn't do anything. People have recommended Daemon Tools but I haven't tried it yet.

I've tried Nero but it says insert a larger CD. If its supposed to burn 3 DVD's why doesn't it burn the first then insert the second and then the third?

That maybe fast you Dennis but at home I'm on dialup so I download it at work because its quicker. It takes about 3 minutes to download it then another 4 minutes to decompress the zip file.

If you do a web search for "Windows XP Service Pack 3" +download there are a load of different sites showing this, I shall have to try a few more sites.

Thanks for your input guys. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Am I the OD-one out?

I got Windows XP SP3 via Windows (Automatic Updates) :D

A few months back, Windows informed me that "Updates" were ready to be installed... the rest is history.

I've had no problems so far :lol:

Am I the OD-one out?

I got Windows XP SP3 via Windows (Automatic Updates) :D

A few months back, Windows informed me that "Updates" were ready to be installed... the rest is history.

I've had no problems so far :lol:

Hi Craig,

Add one more odd-ball to the list. That is how I updated but it was back in May 2008. My download was only around 60-70 MB. No problems installing SP3.

What these guys are discussing will help speed-up the Windows re-install process for those with slow or no Internet connection in the future. This will also help Keith download at work and update at home.

I am not sure if I am part of the "Bargain Basement" club or not. :lol:

:) davey

• Moderators

I downloaded the EXE like Hazelnut did. With the EXE you can unpack it, then burn it to a disc. My XP SP3 didn't take three DVDs though, it fit onto one CD-R.

If you're having problems opening the ISO you can open and extract them with 7-Zip, or just burn them straight away with a burning program.

Sorry Anthony typo there, I meant .exe file onto a dvd and external.

I downloaded the EXE like Hazelnut did. With the EXE you can unpack it, then burn it to a disc. My XP SP3 didn't take three DVDs though, it fit onto one CD-R.

If you're having problems opening the ISO you can open and extract them with 7-Zip, or just burn them straight away with a burning program.

There is no problem opening M$ exe's with WinZip they are self extracting cabinet file, the problem is iso files. I shall have to have a look at 7-Zip then. ;)

Edit: I've just had a look at 7-Zip and it doesn't say anything about ISO format.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

When I decided to update to SP3 I simply went to Microsoft update and downloaded from there, had no problems. It seems odd that it was corrupt. :o

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

• Moderators
There is no problem opening M$ exe's with WinZip they are self extracting cabinet file, the problem is iso files.

Microsoft also has a switch to automatically unpack them without invoking the installer, this is it:

How To Extract Compressed Microsoft SFX CAB ("EXE") Files

1. Click Start, Run, and browse to the file you'd like to extract into a temporary directory.

2. To the right of the file you wish to extract in the Run box type in a backslash followed by a C. See Example below.

Extraction Example:

"C:\Windows Update\update.exe" /C

To view the commands of a self-extracting Microsoft EXE file follow steps 1 and 2 and submit the /C for a /?. See Example below.

Commands Example:

"C:\Windows Update\update.exe" /?

You need to look on the homepage http://www.7-zip.org/ where all supported formats are shown.

Thanks Andavari I should have checked the home site. It appears that FileHippo describe a lot of there files wrong as regards the operation system. We can now add file description to that list. I will give it a try. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I've tried Microsoft and the file appears to be corrupt.

I've also tried Download.com but that appears to be corrupt as well.

If you are saying they appear to be corrupt because the installation fails, maybe this is the reason.

This is only recommended if the installation fails.

Although disabling your antivirus software is not usually recommended, some antivirus software prevents certain system files from being changed. This may cause the Windows XP SP3 installation to fail. To make sure that you can successfully install Windows XP SP3, temporarily disable your antivirus software including any antispyware and third-party firewall programs.